Fordmods Logo

shortened shocks or not, that is the question.... 

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Post subject: shortened shocks or not, that is the question....
Posted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 8:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EB SXR6 | ED XR8 Sprint

NSW, Australia

ok i had installed in my car king springs ultra lowup front, and king springs super lows in the back with a yellow shock, forgot what they are called (wrote then name and part number on a paper but cant find it!).

anyway these where in my mates ea, he was selling it so i put them in my car on "hold" till he bought his new car. now he bought his new car (Ef XR6), so we swapped the suspension over, although due to the front bumper bar being lower on the ef and the wheel acrches not exactly round the car sat way too low and wasnt practicle (looks hot though!)

anyway he is going to get super lows for the front and i am going to put the apparently "ultra lows" back in my car with king springs super lows for the back. now my question is are these ok to sit in the ef xr6 shocks? they are monroe gt's, yellow in colour i beleive.

i hear some people saying that you have to have shortened shocks for super lows. now the shocks which the ultra & super lows originally sat in where standard height i beleive becasue once the car was raised the spring would fall out of its seat, both front and back although there was no dramas with the ride and it didnt fall out while driving.

so if this is the only reason people get shortened shocks then the set up of ef xr6 shocks with ultra lows up front and super lows at the rear should be fine yes??

oh does anyone have a similiar set up? whats the ride qualtiy like? i know it wasnt too bad with the after market shocks in.

thanks people!

EB SXR6. ED XR8 Sprint.

Posted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 11:43 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: XRGLi EF

WA, Australia

i have monroe GT gas shocks with superlows...... and sometimes when i go over a bump i hit the bump stop (top of shock) its not to bad.......but if u dont want this to happen then shortned shocks are the way.

BA XR8 manual ute black

Posted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 8:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 30 images

Ride: Blown XR8

VIC, Australia

My mate had the same problem, Superlows in the rear of his EL, and it sits really low. One of the rear shocks was leaking and when the car was loaded up, they would bottom out (hitting the bump stop). I actually blew the seal off the weaping shock. I rode well with normal shocks in it, softer and s**t, but hit the bump stop all the time. Now with shortened shocks, it rides a bit firmer, but not bad by any means. But it never bottoms out any more. Its a bit harsher when loaded up and you go over some big bumps, but it will stop his tyres from even thinking of hitting up under the wheel arch.
Personally i'd go the shortened shocks, when i put Superlows in the a*** end of my EL, with wide a** 19's on the back, i'll definately be putting these in.

Dave

Posted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 9:24 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AUXR6 HP With Ducati SupA Bike!

WA, Australia

i go thew shorter shocks they bassically have a short piston ram so the piston of the shock sits in the correct place. ie in the midle!
also they will hold the springs in place in the rear when u jack the car up for the same reason
( i got super lows with stock kybs, and the rears suspension drops out on a hoist )
normal shocks will be fine but can be bouncy!!! liek cut springs not the best
mine are awesome on flat rds

RIP SCOTT

Posted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 8:49 am 
Site Admin

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: AUII V8 LTD

Power: 270 rwkw

NSW, Australia

I'm no suspension guru, but ive never seen shortened shocks available for the falcons.

What brands have them available?

WAG363: AUII LTD Supercharged 363 Dart Stroker [Supercharged 363 LTD Build]
WAGGIN: 2012 Volkswagen Passat Wagon - V6 4Motion.

Posted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 9:03 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 33 images

Ride: EL Fairmont Ghia

TAS, Australia

monroe do have a look at there site

Posted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 3:37 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: AUXR6 HP With Ducati SupA Bike!

WA, Australia

Waggin wrote:
I'm no suspension guru, but ive never seen shortened shocks available for the falcons.

koni as jonno got em!

RIP SCOTT

Posted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 7:59 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: 1994 ED XR8 Sprint

QLD, Australia

Waggin wrote:

dude......

what rock have you been hiding under???? there's like 1/2 dozen companies that do shortened shocks

koni
kyb
bilstien
pedders

etc

Banned

Posted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 2:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: XR6

VIC, Australia

super lows in the back of an ef are ok the shock does not bottom out its the body stop i looked under mine and i have about 3cm of travel ,

in the front my shocks bottom out they are xr6 but i think i need shorter shocks.

so ultra lows will need shorter shocks.

i am looking into konis and getting the superlows in the front compressed bout an 1inch and need shorter shocks not for a while but...

BA XR8 BOSS 260
Winter White
18' gt-p wheels
Flash Tuned
2 jl 13.5' w3's
tv indash

Posted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 9:41 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EB

VIC, Australia

I've got Pedder's shortened shocks in mine and never had an issue.

Posted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 10:10 am 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 9 images

VIC, Australia

im looking into getting some Boge shocks, as they are releasing/have realeased some for the falcon range. I first herad about it when i enquired about thier EL test car that was getting around, *read slammed*

Posted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 8:27 am 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

ive got pedders also and they have been great, i can recommend them.

Posted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 11:10 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: EL Futura

NSW, Australia

I almost got shortened ones for my EL...its got King spring lows in it. In all honesty tho, i have no problems with the normal shocks (GT premiums Munro...)...i drive on some pretty rough country roads and today i went on about 40km of dirt roads and thats a work out for ur suspension i tell ya, and really it handles fine, and there is no odd noises coming from the suspension...so...go the normal ones...no need to worry about it, unless ur just interested in wasting money u dont need to spend. Save the extra money n replace ur rubbers.

Posted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 10:38 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: 93 Maverick LWB/S2 LWB Delica

Power: 75 rwkw

NSW, Australia

ndroo wrote:
I almost got shortened ones for my EL...its got King spring lows in it. In all honesty tho, i have no problems with the normal shocks (GT premiums Munro...)...i drive on some pretty rough country roads and today i went on about 40km of dirt roads and thats a work out for ur suspension i tell ya, and really it handles fine, and there is no odd noises coming from the suspension...so...go the normal ones...no need to worry about it, unless ur just interested in wasting money u dont need to spend. Save the extra money n replace ur rubbers.

You live around Kurri, the tar/concrete roads are worse than dirt around that area. :wink:

I would recommend the shorter shocks, normally because they are a better performing shock, designed to be in that position and will stop the springs falling out when jacking up or "jumping".

93 Ford Maverick LWB automatic petrol guzzler (gets stuck where Deli doesn't, big pumpkins :evil:)
97 S2 Mitsubishi Delica LWB (off the road getting v8 transplant)

Posted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 11:00 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: EL Futura

NSW, Australia

yer...only ones i could see giving you a prob in regards to falling out are the rears...front are pretty compressed at all times...but having said that ud have to have the rear wheels off the ground for a period of about 5 seconds without pressure on them for the springs to come loose...and still them losing possition is not common as they have the big rubbers on them.

Yep roads around here are shocking, brings out the best squeeks n rattles of every car. Pathetic council...u reckon they could get their head out of their industrial driven asses and put it into some good use by building roads, roads you can recognise as roads when you compare them to vast expanses of dirt and holes.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 15 posts ]