Fordmods Logo

Should Pre-AU Steelies fit on AU Hub? 

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Should Pre-AU Steelies fit on AU Hub?
Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 6:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

I'm having some trouble fitting my wheels onto my hub adapters and am trying to determine were the problem lies (with the wheels or hub adapters).
Now basical'y I bought the hub adapters from Tempe Tyres. Now these hub adapters fit onto my EF hubs, how ever, my EF stockie steelies will not fit onto these hub adapters (they foul on the lip - see picture of what I mean by the lip). Now I assumed this was because my wheels are Pre-AU, and these hub adapters are for AU onwards, but my wheels which are supposebly to suit an AU do not fit on them either!
Basically, my question is, should Pre-AU wheels fit onto AU hubs/hub adapters? If so then my problem is Tempe Tyres have stuffed up my hub adapters.
If they shouldn't, then it is still possiable that my hub adapters are wrong, but more likely that the wheels are at fault!
I don't currently have access to try the wheels on an AU hub or try a definate AU wheel on the hub adapters.

The red arrows are pointting to what I have refered to as the lip. I assume the lip is there to center the wheels on the hub.
http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/5315/dscn1377arrows3ke.jpg

Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 7:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: GTHO PH 1 EF ex chaser

QLD, Australia

Obviously wrong hub adapters as pre au wheels will fit on au hubs only the oftet is wrong as they stick out past the guards :cry:

Rotten Old Revhead!!! XW GTHO + EF ex cop car (exractors 2.5 cat back zorst !6" Simmons K&N +airbox mods Lowered with Bilstein shocks+Whiteline Bars NEXT THING Swap HO for GTP or Ferrari!

Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 7:27 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: XR6

NSW, Australia

I had to trim off with grinder that bit on the tip on the original studs on the car where there is no thread and then the hup adapter fitted on

Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 7:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

Grumblexr6 wrote:
I had to trim off with grinder that bit on the tip on the original studs on the car where there is no thread and then the hup adapter fitted on

It's definately not the original studs causing the problem as the hub adapters won't fit snug into the wheels even when they're off the car.

Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 9:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF wagon & EF fairmont wagon & M

VIC, Australia

I reckon the lip shouldn't be there at all. stick em on a lathe and whizz em down in 5 mins. I was actually thinking of making some on the lathe / mill myself after seeing $350 sale on ebay. If anyone else wants some let me know and if there is enough interest??? Incidentlally how much did they charge you for them new?

Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 9:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

$250.00 delivered (see thread on Tempe Tyres - http://www.fordmods.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=21189).
Well the lip should be there, but the lip should be slanting inwards not just going straight up as far as I can see. I'm not sure if the wheel actually puts any pressure or anything on it, maybe 100% of the weight/pressure is on the studs? But the lip should be slanting in to simulate the hub that the wheels sit on.
I'm thinking about actually taking some meat out of the center hole in the wheels so they fit nice over the lip.

Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 1:22 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: BF MKII V8 Fairmont Ghia

WA, Australia

have you actually tryed bolting the adapter onto your cars hub to see if it will fit that way?

2007 Steel BF Ghia MKII V8 - 19" GTP's + Superlows

Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 11:31 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: el faimont, dual fuel

VIC, Australia

guessing you bought adr complient adapters, in this case don't tamper with anything as it will no longer be complient.
the lip is there to centre the wheel, the studs alone will not centre it exactly, giving an uneven and unbalanced wheel.

ring tempe and explain your problem to see what they say.

why do u write in here.

Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 4:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

Gaz wrote:
have you actually tryed bolting the adapter onto your cars hub to see if it will fit that way?

yeah the problem is with the wheels fitting onto the hub adapters. The hub adapters fit fine on the car, but that's irrelevent...

Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 4:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

msman wrote:
guessing you bought adr complient adapters, in this case don't tamper with anything as it will no longer be complient.
the lip is there to centre the wheel, the studs alone will not centre it exactly, giving an uneven and unbalanced wheel.

ring tempe and explain your problem to see what they say.

I'll ring em monday, but it's really queer I think.
As for the ADR, I ain't worried about that either way.

Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 4:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

The problem is the lip on the hub adapter or spacer whatever you want to call it. When I put the new rims on my skyline I used spacers get the wheels out to the guards and got them from two different places. One pair has the lip and the other doesent although the alloy wheels fit ok the original spare wont fit over the ones with the lip.

ef fairmont ghia 5.0L
classy cruiser

Post subject: Re: Should Pre-AU Steelies fit on AU Hub?
Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 1:53 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: MCMXCV Falcon

VIC, Australia

twr7cx wrote:
Now these hub adapters fit onto my EF hubs, how ever, my EF stockie steelies will not fit onto these hub adapters

Basically, my question is, should Pre-AU wheels fit onto AU hubs/hub adapters? If so then my problem is Tempe Tyres have stuffed up my hub adapters.

so u r fitting hub adaptors to your EF so you can use AU rims - right?

but then u ask "do PreAU wheels fit AUs"....why?

why try to fit EF rims on EF hubs with AU hub adaptors? if its to widen the track then bad bad bad!!!

of course EF rims wont fit AU hubs (which is what u effectivly have with the adaptors)....if you want to fit EF rims on EF hubs then get rid of the adaptors...

the centre spiggot on the hub adaptor should be a snug fit with the wheel - do not tamper with it....its designed to fit an AU wheel NOT EF wheels!!!

I dont know the centre hole diameter of the preAU and post AU wheels - maybe theyre the same or different....if the same then the rims will be interchangeable, except you will have track issues......
if theyre different then the ones with the larger hole will fit to the smaller hub spiggot but not the other way around..

Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:07 am 
Tyre Shredder

Power: 120 rwkw

New Zealand

Just by looking at the pic's you have posted I think i can see the problem.

your wheels will never fit on those hub adapters

The outer diameter of the lip or locating ring on the hub adapters should be the same size as the boss on the hub of your falcon

They have really c0cked it up - the outer diameter of the locating ring on the top of you hub adapter should be the same size as the hole they have drilled right through the centre of the hub adaptors.

you should actually be a be able to bolt two hub adapters together - I can tell by the pic's that you can't do that - as the locating ring is bigger than the hole in centre of the hub adapter.

Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 5:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

took a wheel and a hub adapter to the engineer, he measured them up took the 4 hub adapters and the next day they all fit, still has the locating ring, he says it was just 0.3mm too far so he shaved it down for me for $20.00!

Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:10 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Fairlane

NSW, Australia

will AU / BA steelies fit on those adapters?

TEAM FAT RACING

TEAM LWB

Copyright (c) 2006 Landbarge Racing. FAIRLANE and COBRA are registered trademarks owned and licenced by Ford Motor Company.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next