Slappen my el fairmont ghia 

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Post subject: Slappen my el fairmont ghia
Posted: Fri May 13, 2011 11:04 am 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: 1998 ford el fairmont ghia

VIC, Australia

Hey guys, in the near future i will be lowering my car and i want it slapped. Iv been thinking of buying the king springs ultra lows (70mm) drop from standard height for the front and rear and the monroe gt shocks, might have seen them on ebay as a package for about $630. I will be putting on 19" rims to. Will this cause problems of rubbing in the guards? Wat do u guys think? Or any alternatives? Thanks

Sam

Post subject: Re: Slappen my el fairmont ghia
Posted: Fri May 13, 2011 12:30 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

BGS4MY wrote:
Hey guys, in the near future i will be lowering my car and i want it slapped. Iv been thinking of buying the king springs ultra lows (70mm) drop from standard height for the front and rear and the monroe gt shocks, might have seen them on ebay as a package for about $630. I will be putting on 19" rims to. Will this cause problems of rubbing in the guards? Wat do u guys think? Or any alternatives? Thanks

Sam

There will definitely be rubbing issues on the front...I had rubbing issues on LOW king springs and 17" rims. Also with ultra lows, your rear might hit the bump stop pretty quickly. To reduce this you can get the shock towers extended but that will cost you.

For practicality, none of the above combination will be of any benefit especially with the Police on your a*** regarding right height and also being on your P's. You might get away with super lows on 19" rims, but you will still have rubbing issues on the guards at the front, especially turning. Not sure on the years, but I would think it will rub once you hit a slight bump on ultra lows.

Ultra lows might also see you scrape your exhaust components/transmission...

Just thought I point out some issues there.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Fri May 13, 2011 12:57 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EL Sapphire

VIC, Australia

Not to mention some speed bumps and driveways being a pain to get over.
I have superlows in the front with 18"s and they rub when corning hard and the body rolls a bit such as quick around a round-a-bout.
I had superlows in the back but changed to lows because it hit bump stops too often with any sort of weight in the car.
But I live and drive on country roads which often arent the best. Melbourne roads are probably better.

'98 EL Turbo Falcon Sapphire
With custom everything..

Posted: Fri May 13, 2011 1:00 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

Yeaa i thought so on rubbing issues and exhaust, ect scrapping. May go with the super low 50mm drop, or get the rims put on first then see how much room i can play with dropping it, maybe that would be another option. Atm i got 15" ghia wheels and still deciding wheather or not to get rims for her. Thanks for your input.

Sam

Posted: Fri May 13, 2011 1:59 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

BGS4MY wrote:
Yeaa i thought so on rubbing issues and exhaust, ect scrapping. May go with the super low 50mm drop, or get the rims put on first then see how much room i can play with dropping it, maybe that would be another option. Atm i got 15" ghia wheels and still deciding wheather or not to get rims for her. Thanks for your input.

Sam

I would also suggest rims first then lower to suit. Don't want to put it too low and then have heaps of issues when putting bigger rims in.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Fri May 13, 2011 2:03 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

Yea think thats wat im gona do get rims then lower it. Gona get set of bf cobra rims, all silver, reken gona look tuff :D

Posted: Sat May 14, 2011 7:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Ghia 5.0

SA, Australia

'Slappen'?

EF Ghia 5.0 - XR8 in a tuxedo....classy, low and loud

Bordeaux Purple, Tickford kit, slammed, 18" BA XR8's, EL Ghia chrome, full leather, Pioneer audio, C&C, ABS, LSD, Crane cam, GT40P heads, high flow cats, Genie extractors, lots of woodgrain, chrome and interior lights!

Posted: Sat May 14, 2011 8:29 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 9 images

NSW, Australia

I would personally say dont go lower then super lows, but in saying that I had an el on ultra lows with 19 inch wheels and had very little in the way of rubbing but the guards where rolled and the front end did have alot of negative camber to help the clearance. Worked well in the corners but front tires didnt last long and unless you have some contacts to get a deal on tires it gets expensive. Get your mags first and then lower the car to suit, will save having issues later on with the big wheels and you know that it will be legal. Also if you get 19's run a 235/35 tire, I noticed most place will just use a 245/35 tire as its more common but the 235's will give a little more clearance as well as being only 0.4 - 0.6 of a mm larger in circumferance as the factory 15's so your wont have issues with the speedo

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]