Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Post subject: So I bent my clutch fork!
Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: 1989 300ZX Twin turbo Z32

QLD, Australia

Hey guys,

Like a few of us i converted my eb to manual a while back. Im using the mal wood clutch pin. I recently bought the new mal wood pin (which has a big a** support plate on it) as I was worried about breaking my pedal box. Upon installing the new pin I noticed that my pedal box was fine and wasnt broken at all (although i could see an imprint of where the old pin was. Well today to my surprise I went to go into reverse in a car park and i couldnt get it into gear. I thought its my pedal box/firewall/clutch cable. Turns out they're all ok but I think I've bent my clutch fork now :( If i adjust the clutch cable --> then it will work fine for a little while and then all of a sudden I have to adjust it more and more to make it release properly - i had the same problem in a daewoo i used to own (was a bent fork).

What a pain the a**.

Anyway.... some background info...

When i converted to t5 i bought a brand new exedy standard clutch kit. THe reason I bought standard and not HD was that I wanted a soft clutch for a number of reasons but mainly so I didnt break my pedalbox/firewall.

Anyway upon installing the new clutch kit it turns out it is the heaviest clutch that myself or my mates have ever driven. I have no idea why its so hard but it just is. THe original pressure plate that came with the gearbox was an xr6 luk one and it was around half the pedal effort (wish i left it in there).

So it looks like i'll be pulling the gearbox out AGAIN to replace the fork. While i'm there I want to replace my pressure plate with a lighter one. I could put my old luk xr6 one in but its a bit rusted since being pulled out of the car. I do not want to replace the clutch disc (as its practically brand new and works fine).

So im just wondering what pressure plate you guys reccommend I get? I'd like one with the lightest pedal effort possible. Should I try to buy a PBR one or is there another i should get? (p.s its not for racing or anything - just normal everyday use).

Here is a pic of the fork - its kinda hard to see but since comparing it to pics I have of normal clutch forks it does look a little bit bent.

Attachments:
File comment: my bent fork
fork.jpg
fork.jpg [ 76.03 KiB | Viewed 178 times ]

Sold my EB :(
Now got my 300zx :)

Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

i found a valeo one on ebay. is this brand any good?

Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

SA, Australia

Valeo supply a lot of car manufacturers with all their OEM clutches and such, pretty good brand really.

Quick question whats the red thing around the clutch fork and clutch cable damper in the pic?

Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

oh thats just a zip tie to hold the dampner hook in if i release the clutch cable.

i just grabbed my old pressure plate and cleaned it up a bit. looks alright. might just use it (coz i know it used to work with only a little pedal effort).

wont be able to pull the gearbox out for a couple of weeks coz i have heaps of assignments to do.

anyone know how much a new clutch fork would cost?

Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

Bluecube........where is the bracket to hold the clutch cable straight onto the bellhousing????? The cable will get chewed without it.

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:45 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

Good pickup - looking at the angle of entry of the cable, that won't take too long.
Also the dust cover and lid are missing too.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

snap0964 wrote:
Good pickup - looking at the angle of entry of the cable, that won't take too long.
Also the dust cover and lid are missing too.

hehe yeh i took that picture after releasing the cable at the pedal end (i normally have it zip tied so it goes in straight)

thanks for the offer mal. sounds like a great setup. but i'm not really chasing big power tho, which is why i just want a basic clutch to keep costs down.
at the moment i think i'll try my old pressure plate and see how i go.

Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

oh and snap i dont have a dust cover!
hehe i could never get ahold of one when i did my conversion and fraud wanted like over $100 for one.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]