Fordmods Logo

Speedo gear - auto box 

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Post subject: Speedo gear - auto box
Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 1:59 pm 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

Hey guys n girls,

I' trying to get a road worthy on my EL Fairmont Ghia and one of the small X's was the speedo gear was weaping a little bit of oil. Do I need to replace it altogether or could i just remove it, clean it up a bit and put a bit of grease around it? Also, as I've never done one, where am I actually looking for it? I have a workshop manual but murphy's law I can't find it anywhere. Anyone got a piccy under neath that can point to it?

Thanks

Josh

Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 2:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF wagoon

WA, Australia

i just had mine changed. it is on top of the box at the rear. there is a (10mm i think) bolt that screws in from the top to hold it in. i took mine to a gearbox place to remove as it is almost impossible to get to unless you have a hoist or pit. they changed it in about 10 mins.

EF GLi Wagoon
Grandpa Spec

Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 3:02 pm 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

thanks for the info, what sorta $ it cost you?

Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 3:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF wagoon

WA, Australia

i had the one i wanted to change from my old box so all i payed was for their time and hoist, so it only cost $30.00. you would probably find most guy would do it for you for next to nothing. :o

EF GLi Wagoon
Grandpa Spec

Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 3:53 pm 
ACT Cruise Moderator

Ride: '06 BF GT-P

Power: 293 rwkw

ACT, Australia

pugsley wrote:
i just had mine changed. it is on top of the box at the rear. there is a (10mm i think) bolt that screws in from the top to hold it in. i took mine to a gearbox place to remove as it is almost impossible to get to unless you have a hoist or pit. they changed it in about 10 mins.

Almost impossible, but not. I swapped a whole gearbox in my EL, with it up on axle stands. Then had to change the speedo gear afterwards as it was wrong and my spare gear order was delayed..

You'll be working blind as you can't really see it. But because it has wiring going to it, you can follow the wires to find it. As mentioned a 10mm bolt to undo. They have a o-ring seal, so it may be broken/worn.

1998 DL LTD in Sparkling Burgundy, daily, 302W, stereo, slow
2006 BF GT-P in Ego, mods. Supercharged 5.8L all alloy modular

Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 4:06 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

^^^^^ That pretty much sums it up. Follow the red conduit and you'll find it. The driven gear will pull off, just carefully remove the old o ring (just in case you need to compare to the new one).
Smear some transmission oil on the new one before putting it on, and also before sliding it back into the G/box.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:25 am 
Stock as a Rock

WA, Australia

pretty simple really wouldent worry about replacing it just new o ring bit off tranny fluid arond it then back in... its at the very back on the extensoin housing 10m bolt is all if you realy struggle put a jack under the back off tranny undo crossmember bolts (17m) and let down about an inch ...easer to get to (dont let down too far tailshaft will jam in back off box)

Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:47 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

Sometimes you will find the oil is coming from the transducer itself not the seal. the oil comes out between the case and the end as they are just pressed together, so you might have to replace the transducer itself. :lol:

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]