Spongy pedal after new front pads & rotors on EL XR6 

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Post subject: Spongy pedal after new front pads & rotors on EL XR6
Posted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:55 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: Falcon FGX XR8

NSW, Australia

Just installed new front pads and rotors on my EL XR6, also reconditioned the calipers, and bleed the system, however the pedal seems spongy, is this because the pads need time to bed in?
also if anyone knows the 100% correct way of bleeding the brake system, please let me know, should the engine be running or not? my car has ABS.

EL Falcon XR6, 2.5in exhaust, extractors, ported throttle body, sequential intake, CMS stage 2 head. Tickford cam!!!!!
"158 RWKW"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErQSNeJmXsk (video of my XR6 on the Dyno)

Post subject: Re: Spongy pedal after new front pads & rotors on EL XR6
Posted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 17 images

Ride: 5.0lt NF /351 ZD Fairlane

NSW, Australia

Shouldn't need to have engine running to do it, pedal feel can be different between brands of pads did you use the same brand as before?

NF Fairlane with 5.0 and 5 speed goodness!
XE Fairmont Ghia

Posted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:51 pm 
NSW Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: TE50

NSW, Australia

Different compound pads can have different bed in procedures, check the instructions that came with your pads.

I just put ferodo formulas with DBA slotteds, my procedure was for 20 mins, drive car to 60km's, apply firm braking down to 5 km'h and repeat. allow brakes to cool for 20 mins and repeat. I have pretty much always used this procedure anyways, but the formula pads needed to be bed in a specific way, alot of mainstream pads now come with a magnesium strip that does the bed in procedure for you, I would still observe a bed in cycle though.

Did you bleed the system after the new pads were installed?

I have a car.

Posted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:21 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

dc_todd wrote:
Did you bleed the system after the new pads were installed?

BOSS 4LTR wrote:
Just installed new front pads and rotors on my EL XR6, also reconditioned the calipers, and bleed the system, however the pedal seems spongy, is this because the pads need time to bed in?
also if anyone knows the 100% correct way of bleeding the brake system, please let me know, should the engine be running or not? my car has ABS.

I would say you haven't properly bled the lines. Did you bleed the front passenger first and than the drivers? If you did the drivers, time for you to re-bleed the brakes and start with the passenger first. When bleeding did your brake pedal touch the floor? If it did, you may have damaged something, but I think if you did the brakes wouldn't work properly at all. Make sure when you pump the pedal, that it doesn't touch the floor...so leave a piece of wood behind the pedal to stop it above the floor...I think 5-10cm. When you bleed the brakes, do you use a one way valve or 2 man team? If it's a 2 man team, make sure the person at the bleed nipple closes the nipple before the pedal is released and if it's a one way valve, make sure it doesn't works...sometimes they can stuff up for the fun of it.

Make sure you top up the reservoir during the bleeding...don't let it drop below the LOW line.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:42 pm 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

yea i did the passenger side first then the drivers side, however i did put my foot to the floor, but the brakes still work fine, just that you have to put your foot further into it to stop.
should the car be running when bleeding the brrakes oir just the ignition on?
im using Remsa pads on DBA slotted rotors.

EL Falcon XR6, 2.5in exhaust, extractors, ported throttle body, sequential intake, CMS stage 2 head. Tickford cam!!!!!
"158 RWKW"

Posted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:51 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

they will feel better once they bed in...

Posted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:52 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

BOSS 4LTR wrote:
yea i did the passenger side first then the drivers side, however i did put my foot to the floor, but the brakes still work fine, just that you have to put your foot further into it to stop.
should the car be running when bleeding the brrakes oir just the ignition on?
im using Remsa pads on DBA slotted rotors.

Ignitions should be off. I believe since you pushed the pedal down further, it will have to travel further to produce the same amount of pressure to engage the brakes compared to if the pedal was sitting further up. Not sure if it will do a lot of difference though.

EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.

Posted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:55 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

ive bled brakes plenty of times and the pedal has gone all the way down with no harm..
i have noticed with some brands of pad (especially cheap pads)that the pedal has felt spongy untill the pads have bed in...
also tight or seized caliper slides can also give the spongy effect as the caliper isnt sliding to clamp the disc with ease..

Posted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:11 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
ive bled brakes plenty of times and the pedal has gone all the way down with no harm..
i have noticed with some brands of pad (especially cheap pads)that the pedal has felt spongy untill the pads have bed in...
also tight or seized caliper slides can also give the spongy effect as the caliper isnt sliding to clamp the disc with ease..

I mean I have done it once with pedal all the way down and one without and I must admit it didn't make much difference, other than reducing the chance of braking some seal in the booster. Which I think was the main reason why you shouldn't push the pedal to the floor but I could be wrong.

Posted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:35 pm 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:

i did rebuild the calipers while i was doing the rotors and pads anyway, put new rubbers and seals in em, i'll just drive it everyday over the next week and see wat happens, otherwise i'll bleed the brakes again.

"158 RWKW"

Posted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:21 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

BOSS 4LTR wrote:

i did rebuild the calipers while i was doing the rotors and pads anyway, put new rubbers and seals in em, i'll just drive it everyday over the next week and see wat happens, otherwise i'll bleed the brakes again.

Did you have the hoses clamped off when you rebuilt your calipers???.....if not, you will have a very difficult time trying to get the air out of the system.

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:03 am 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

cjh wrote:
BOSS 4LTR wrote:

Did you have the hoses clamped off when you rebuilt your calipers???.....if not, you will have a very difficult time trying to get the air out of the system.

maybe thats the problem, the car definately stops well once you pump the pedal a couple of times to get the pressuer up, so the problem is air in the system, ive got braided brake lines, not sure if i can clamp em. looks like ill be bleeding the whole system again. thanks for the info guys.

"158 RWKW"

Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:35 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

BOSS 4LTR wrote:
cjh wrote:
BOSS 4LTR wrote:

maybe thats the problem, the car definately stops well once you pump the pedal a couple of times to get the pressuer up, so the problem is air in the system, ive got braided brake lines, not sure if i can clamp em. looks like ill be bleeding the whole system again. thanks for the info guys.

You may need to take it to a dealer to use the Ford special tool for bleeding the ABS system.....or some-one that has an aftermarket ABS system bleeder.

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:40 pm 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

all fixed now, just had air in the brake lines, re-bleed the system with motor not running, and is much better now. I highly recommend pulling your calipers apart and cleaning the piston as it can get dirty and rough and will not operate properly, it was the reason why my discs warped cause the calipers were stuck and applying unnessecery force to the rotors.
also i highly recommened Remsa brake pads, no noise, low brake dust and stop very well.

"158 RWKW"

Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 17 images

Ride: 5.0lt NF /351 ZD Fairlane

NSW, Australia

good news pal, good to see it's all OK!

NF Fairlane with 5.0 and 5 speed goodness!
XE Fairmont Ghia

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 15 posts ]