Fordmods Logo

Spring lengths, standard to lowered. 

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Post subject: Spring lengths, standard to lowered.
Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:28 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 2002 AU Fairlane Sportsman

NSW, Australia

Hi Guys, I have a set of Pedders gas Ryder struts to put into my XH ute and I removed these struts from an EF Fairmont Wagon. They have springs that are 41.5cm long, (Uncompressed and off the struts) and they also have a pink paint mark on the spring itself. Can someone tell me the length of the standard spring that fits the EF/EL front strut please. I want to know if the springs that I have are standard height or not as I do want to lower the front of the ute down by about 40 to 50mm and if they are standard then I can buy some lowered springs to suit. If I cannot get the length of the standard spring then maybe someone has a lowered spring and they can give me the size please. Cheers AU055

Post subject: Re: Spring lengths, standard to lowered.
Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 17 images

Ride: 5.0lt NF /351 ZD Fairlane

NSW, Australia

Hey I've got a set of lows her that are 37cm long uncompressed (the ones I got from Anthony) if that gives you any idea! mine had a sticker with a part no. which I googled and found they are lows (1/2" lower)

NF Fairlane with 5.0 and 5 speed goodness!
XE Fairmont Ghia

Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:32 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

Thanks Ross, I'm looking at dropping the ute by about 1 1/2 to 2 inches so it looks like I might need to go shorter than 37cm. I have the XR6 shark fin style wheels, (16") all round and there is still a gap between the tyre and guard lip of about 3 inches. It looks like a 4WD so I want it down. Work is flat out at the moment and weekends are tied up with grand kid minding so hopefully I will get to the next meeting. I got a set of lowered coils for Meryls rex but I still haven't had a chance to put them in. Took the AU out today to Dural and back and I have forgotten what a good big Fairlane, was like to drive. Been using the ute, her car or the company Lancer and they all ride the same, HARD Number 1 priority at the moment is a new exhaust as the original (from 1996) dropped the tail pipe out of the large muffler the other day when Meryl was coming back over Razorback. It sounds good at the moment but a bit drummy so I'm looking at having a 2 1/2 inch system put in and a mate at work is giving me a set of extractors that came off his XG XR6 ute. He gave the ute to his grand son and he has stuffed a near mint XG. Catch up soon. Steve.

Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:28 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

EF/EL XR I6 front spring free length: 364mm
XH ute I6 front spring free length: 415mm

Wire diam same in both.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:37 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

Many thanks for that, I will go for a set of springs around the 36cm size so they should bring it down to a more respectable looking height. Cheers.

Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:44 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

I suppose you could keep your eye out for a set of EF XR6 wagon rear springs post1221875.html .
Not that they'd be that common - but you wouldn't need lowering blocks, etc.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:56 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

Thanks Snap0964 I read the story on that wagon, fantastic buy. I did try the rear leafs out of the EF Fairmont wagon that I pulled apart but they raised the car higher so out they came straight away. I have been looking around but nothing is about so I am thinking of taking them over to Carrols Springs at Smithfield and have the rear set redone and lowered at the same time. They did a set of rear spings for my '62 Compact quite a few years ago and it was lowered about 3 inches and drove perfect. Thanks again.

Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 17 images

Ride: 5.0lt NF /351 ZD Fairlane

NSW, Australia

Cool, but if you want the coils they are spares - I only need the struts

NF Fairlane with 5.0 and 5 speed goodness!
XE Fairmont Ghia

Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:36 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

au055 wrote:
I did try the rear leafs out of the EF Fairmont wagon that I pulled apart but they raised the car higher so out they came straight away. I have been looking around but nothing is about so I am thinking of taking them over to Carrols Springs at Smithfield and have the rear set redone and lowered at the same time. They did a set of rear spings for my '62 Compact quite a few years ago and it was lowered about 3 inches and drove perfect.
The Fairmont springs would be too soft as well.
Follow what mustang6 says here - gearbox-suspension-brake-driveline-f4/how-2-lower-rear-e-series-wagon-t80226.html , except, keep the XH springs, add the smallest Fairmont leaf upside down to the top of the spring stack, should give you around 1.5" lower, and maintain stiffness.
If you use the smallest XH leaf, you'll lose some load carrying capacity, and you might find you bottom out easier.

Posted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:24 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

Thanks for the offer Ross, I found another set of springs that are 35cm long so I will drop them in and see how it goes. If I do get stuck then I will get back to you and negotiate a deal.

Snap0964, thanks for the info but I am not too worried about the ride comfort. My ute only gets an occasional wash stand or wardrobe in it when I pick up furniture for my wife. I did remove the smallest spring on the XH and it did make it slightly softer, (mine had 5 springs as it is the 1 tonne Longreach model) and I have been driving around with 2, 25 kg bags of sand in the back just to make it more comfortable. If I do need to carry a heavy load such as soil or thing like that then I can use my box trailer as I really don't want to put dirt in the rear. I don't have a liner in it and the paint work and metal is in really good condition. I will post up some photos in the near future when I get around to taking them. I still have the Fairmont springs so I will have a go at what you suggest and 1.5" drop might do the trick. I am confused with the tyres as the spare is a 195/70X14 which is what is in the drivers hand book and on the tyre placard on the inside of the drivers door and I now have 225/50X16 tyres which are also in the book and the placard. The 16" tyres are a lot lower when compared side by side with the 14" so I need to clear up the tyre size before I go and drop the ute. I don't want to have issues with tyres hitting the guard as well as having the speedo reading incorrect. Many thanks for your help and offers guys. Cheers Steve.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]