Fordmods Logo

squeaky front right something?? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: squeaky front right something??
Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:28 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: 2004 ba xr6 turbo

NSW, Australia

hey all, i gave a 04 ba and suddenly the other day i hopped into my car and took off as per usual only to find a lound annoying squeaking noise ( like a real bad squeaky bed or door hinge) as i turned either direction and in a straight line going over bumps and pot holes ect.... only coming from the drivers side

I have an idea it might be the ball joint but if anyone has any useful info that might point me in the right direction, or have any other suggestions as to what it might be please let me know, would be much appreciated THANKS... :D

Post subject: Re: squeaky front right something??
Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:41 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 7 images

QLD, Australia

LOLHSV wrote:
hey all, i gave a 04 ba and suddenly the other day i hopped into my car and took off as per usual only to find a lound annoying squeaking noise ( like a real bad squeaky bed or door hinge) as i turned either direction and in a straight line going over bumps and pot holes ect.... only coming from the drivers side

I have an idea it might be the ball joint but if anyone has any useful info that might point me in the right direction, or have any other suggestions as to what it might be please let me know, would be much appreciated THANKS... :D

The sound you describe sounds to me like a worn ball joint... Another thing it may be is the end of your coil spring (at the bottom) rubbing against the metal spring seat. At work when we assemble struts (especially if they are falcon struts) we make sure the bottom of the coil spring at the end of the coil has atleast a fingers width of clearance from the sloped part of the spring seat so that the end of the coil doesn't rub against the sloped stop on the spring seat, because it can cause noises such as what you described.

Incase what I said was hard to follow:

(thats not a falcon strut, but you get the idea.)

Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: BA XR6

NSW, Australia

as Shano.T said, ball joint. i had mine go early this year, had the same annoying sound. the fact that when you turn the steering it squeaks highlights its the ball joint.

BA XR6
Performance mods: typhoon + territory pipe with K&N filter, full exhaust, BPR generic tune, lowered, xr6t front brakes, territory rear brakes
Visual mods: 19" rim, lower grill mesh, oil pressure and vacuum gauges, engine bay lighting, foot well lights
some of my main mods

Posted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:56 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: 2004 ba xr6 turbo

NSW, Australia

thanks guys, yeah its definately the ball joint, did a bit of inspecting today with a mate spinning the wheel to try and pin point the sound, got a long screw driver and put it on a few spots and up against my ear and you could hear it 100% coming from the ball joint, so im gonna replace it tomorrow and hopefully that will fix it up

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]