Fordmods Logo

Squeaky rattle noise coming from rear EF Wagon 

Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:26 am 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

Hey guys, don't know if this will help but i've had two ef sedans that made a rattle/squeak from the rear end. It turned out to be the lower shock mounts. After lowering both cars (new lowered springs and shocks), i tightened the bolts while the car was in the air and after the first bump the noise started. I then dropped the car on the ground and got under the car (not easy to do on lowered springs), loosed and then tightened the bolts with the full weight of the car on the ground. With both cars, problem solved.

Posted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:32 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: EL Wagon, Honda CBR600, The Wife

VIC, Australia

Hey Fiend, my 2cents worth, have the same noise in my EL Wag, have located it to the tailgate itself, the clips on the interior panel arent what they use to be, havent fixed it yet but that is my rattle on sharp bumps. Hope this is of some help. Open tailgate and give it a few thumps to recreate.

"In my opinion, my opinion is better than yours"

Posted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: DENTED UP OLD AUT WAGON

New Zealand

arcpanda wrote:
Hey guys, don't know if this will help but i've had two ef sedans that made a rattle/squeak from the rear end. It turned out to be the lower shock mounts. After lowering both cars (new lowered springs and shocks), i tightened the bolts while the car was in the air and after the first bump the noise started. I then dropped the car on the ground and got under the car (not easy to do on lowered springs), loosed and then tightened the bolts with the full weight of the car on the ground. With both cars, problem solved.

Fair call... I've heard a similar noise from a couple of the XR6's and 8 sedans in the local area. Whenever I hear one I stop dead and listen and watch real hard... The drivers must be about as embarrased as I am when people look at mine!!! I thought it could be a real dangerous type noise but hearing other cars with legal warrants make it too calms me down!

I am trying to get help to do the shocks this weekend. Have never done them before, so here's hoping the local pit crew (who want to spend their whole weekends in front of PS3) can actually be prised away from their controllers.

I still have the totally cleaned and greased brakes to put back on, with newly machined disks on back and slotted and dimpled fronts...

Also saw a LSD from a 94 LTD that I'd like for $200. If I can sell some more parts from my Fairmont really quick I'll buy the LSD and see about doing the whole lot ASAP.

surfn with the wagon knocking and rockin wrote:
Hey Fiend, my 2cents worth, have the same noise in my EL Wag, have located it to the tailgate itself, the clips on the interior panel arent what they use to be, havent fixed it yet but that is my rattle on sharp bumps. Hope this is of some help. Open tailgate and give it a few thumps to recreate.

Very interesting theory, and I know the three clips on the interior panel of mine aren't even in as I have 22 mm spacers around the speakers as the speakers were too deep for the door cavity. I am going to lift boot and hit the panel a few times to see what noises come out of it, but I seem to hear this noise when I have left windows down and drive close to parked cars / banks/ buses / brick walls.....

Thanks for the 2 cents tho brother. We don't have 1c, 2c, or 5c over here any more.

Posted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: BF3 Egas wag SY AWD Terry Ghia

VIC, Australia

The ute or van leafs bolt straight in easy as. just carefully support the diff with axel stands when you drop the leaves out.
you are right on the money with the lowering. you just need longer u-bolts and spacer blocks. Personally I like wagons up high in the bum not sagging like a dog with worms. The top shockie mounts are under the panel behind the seat. you need to undo the cloth part that covers the gap when you lay the seat flat. you need a 17mm socket and someone else to hold the shock from spinning as you undo it.

BF3 Egas XT Wagon
SY Territory Ghia AWD 6spA :))

Posted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Rick's famous EF Fairmont Wagon wrote:
The ute or van leafs bolt straight in easy as. just carefully support the diff with axel stands and someone else to hold the shock from spinning as you undo it.

All good advice, once again. Trust me, I do take everyones advice onboard before trying any of my (girlfriend suggests increasingly insane) ideas...

WARNING
What you are about to read is likely to kill the sqweek and rattle debate either way... Posted this on http://www.fordmods.com/forums/differen ... 59-80.html

Oh shheeeez, here I am with a new brain wave... I have endless troubles with sqweeks and rattles and the like. If worse comes to worse I was going to put the Fairmont diff and brakes onto the Futura, along with shocks and any bushes that need renewing whilst I have it apart.

I have found this item for sale - $200NZ and have a funny feeling it could be too much effort...

FORD LTD 1990 LSD DIFF DISC TO DISC
It comes disc to disc with munro gas air shocks and drive shaft.
The brake lines have been cut --- But what do I care?!!!

I know it is a sedan and as such it has SPRINGS, not leafs... I want to know if anyone has done this before, if there's a cheap way of getting LSD into my wagon, I am into it. Know people who weld and I own a decent 180mm angle grinder so could take off whatever the springs connect to and put the leaf springs U-BOLTS over the axle instead...

Sure, it's stockstandard... No, havn't changed nothing... wrote:
As long as you get the same spline center you keep your axels. NF will have 28 spline. Get an LSD center from an ED or later and you should be safe (ford played silly buggers with 25 spline centers in ea/eb).

You see - I couldn't just use the LSD centre from the EA LTD and attach axles from donor EF Fairmont Wagon and then put the lot onto my EF Futura Wagon... Hmmm... This car is getting mind boggling!...

So far the whole thing has cost less than $2000NZ so not doing too bad.

Or, I could get a xa,b,c lsd diff for less money, if that'd be easier!?!

Posted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: BF3 Egas wag SY AWD Terry Ghia

VIC, Australia

I think the centres can be swapped out? common parts? are you sure the fairmont doesn't have an LSD?

BF3 Egas XT Wagon
SY Territory Ghia AWD 6spA :))

Posted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:51 am 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Fairly sure Fairmont wagon doesn't have LSD...! Now you've got me thinking. Am sure it doesn't, but will have to check now!!!

I don't think the centres can be swapped out because of the 25 vs 28 spline problem... Although, I think I have found a EL XR8 MANUAL LSD DIFF which would share a common centre I guess...! Hmmm...... All fun and games. Have just been making a list of things I have to do on car, and it is frightening that someone with my lack of knowledge would contemplate all this!..!..!

Thanks to Fordmodders and their patience I am now a danger to myself and anything mechanical around me!

Posted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

The noises have stopped from my a*** end.

AWESOME.

Haven't changed axles or anything (but may do with diff' at some point soonish) ---

The complete strip down of brakes, swapping calipers, pistons, disks and pads along with finding that broken bumper support bracket behind left rear has sorted it.

My guess is a worn housing around brake pad allowed pad to slap up and down when hitting bumps, combined with worn sliders...

Along the way I've discovered my rear suspension isn't as bad as what I thought, but the front is worse.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2