Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: Steering Rack Replace
Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: EBII Fairmont Ghia

VIC, Australia

Hi,
Well I think I'm gonna finally fix my front end issues and one issue is the rack. I think I was blaming the wrong item for a leak, I don't think it's the transmission anymore. So if the steering rack is leaking does that mean reco time? it's leaking from the left hand boot and there is play in there too.

When there's load on the left front (turning right) it sometimes feels as though it's skipping, really noticible when full lock right turns and right hand corners at speed. I think i can see play in the outer tie rod end. There's also play when i grab the left hand wheel and wobble it, could be bearings too. I have really bad wear on the left front tyre only, was only outside edge but is now both inside and outside.

Now I've got $1700 to spend and I want to:
Replace rack
new shocks front and rear
i've got bearings
new slotted rotors (have pads)

A while ago I got a quote from pedders for rack and shocks and it was around $1500 with labour and few other misc things.

I'd like some opinions on the Gas Sports Ryder, they apparently lower the front without the need for new springs. The rear has superlows already and front needs to go down by about an inch (I think it has standard tickford springs)

Now i'm open to opinions and thinking about whiteline stuff but unsure from what i've heard about missing parts etc. If I go this way then I'd have to do it all myself, comfortable with that except the rack :? I'd do what 'Steady ED' did springs shocks swaybars, I think he paid around the 1k mark.

Now add $400? for a rack and $250 for rotors and say $50 for a wheel alignment and theres the $1700 gone.

OK to the point how hard is it to get the rack out and back in, I have a workshop manual and basic tools.

I'd also like thoughts on Pedders GSR against the shocks whiteline use?

Any thoughts, tips, opinions?

Thanks
Ben

Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 5:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

At least Pedders shocks come in a shortened rear so whether you go white (comfort) or red (sports) your lowered rear springs will be trapped. I went white on rear which seems ok so far but I probably should have gone red. As far as rack goes, if it leaks heaps then it will need replacing/reco. :)

Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: el faimont, dual fuel

VIC, Australia

change over reco racks are around $250-300, ring around especially the wreckers.

i was of the understanding that pre ef racks can have the bushes replaced easily??? anyone confirm.

if you can do front shocks then you can quite easily do the rack.

for ef-el do the following, don't know about eb's as haven't worked on one.
remove the lower steering column, part in engine bay from firewall to rack.
disconnect the fluid lines to and from pump, make sure you know which is which for re install. syphon out the fluid from pump so you don't make large mess.
unplug the rack sensor.
jack her up
remove the tie rod ends from the hub
take out the two bolts holding the rack in, one on either side just before the boots.
and remove.
you'll need to re-use or get new things like preassure switch, and tie rod ends.

the play can be things like tie rods or the tie rod ends, these are common problems when the car has a few k's on it.

why do u write in here.

Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:57 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: EBII Fairmont Ghia

VIC, Australia

Yeah car has done about 265k, are the tie rods hard to get off the hub, I think i tried this with my old telstar then gave up and dropped the engine out of the bottom. Also do reco racks normally come with tie rod ends and things?

Thanks guys
Ben

Post subject: Re: Steering Rack Replace
Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:13 am 
Fordmods Addict

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Falcon

Power: 237 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Benji wrote:
Now i'm open to opinions and thinking about whiteline stuff but unsure from what i've heard about missing parts etc. If I go this way then I'd have to do it all myself, comfortable with that except the rack :? I'd do what 'Steady ED' did springs shocks swaybars, I think he paid around the 1k mark.

With the Whiteline missing parts thang, it's only minor pieces (bushes).
If their product wasn't so good, I'd be saying don't get them, cause I got f**k around hard when I ordered, bits taking longer to manufacture and s**t.
BUT, I was reaaaal happy with what I got.
So, I'd recommend ordering the bits earlier then you plan on needing them, checking your order either at the store who got them in for you (Autobarn, Bursons etc.), or if you go direct through Whiteline, check order as soon it arrives, making sure you have everything you need, and if you don't, hassle the C***.
I had to reuse a couple of nylock nuts in places, and had to do a last minute mercy dash for swaybar link bushes as well.
Check swaybar mount bushes as well!
If internal diamter doesnt match bar size, their the wrong ones.

ED XR8 Sprint - S-Trim, V500, 249rwkw
BF MKII F6 Tornado - 237rwkw

Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: el faimont, dual fuel

VIC, Australia

Benji wrote:
Yeah car has done about 265k, are the tie rods hard to get off the hub, I think i tried this with my old telstar then gave up and dropped the engine out of the bottom. Also do reco racks normally come with tie rod ends and things?

Thanks guys
Ben

remove tie rod end from hub,
just undo the nut holding it onto the hub and give a few whacks with a hammer.

reco racks normally come with tie rods, or rack ends what ever you wanna call it, and boots both already installed.
tie rod ends will need to be re-used or new ones bought, about $25 each.

why do u write in here.

Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:07 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

dude dude i have a rack and pinion with a near new steering switch. rack and pinion thingy was installed last year in september or october sometime i cant remember ......the car was then driven mainly on freeway from nov till feb. between that time i was on holidays so my dad used it to go to work. The switch was replaced about the same time. i think about a couple of weeks after. Then i got the EL in feb and the EA has been sitting in the driveway ever since......well now in pieces. so if u need a rack and pinion with a switch i have one for u =D. If you need it just pm me =D

and good luck fixing the car ^_^

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]