Fordmods Logo

strange ba rear end noises 

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: strange ba rear end noises
Posted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:44 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: g6e 2009

WA, Australia

hey guys, have been getting some strange noises from the rear end of my ba lately. car has only done approx 40 000 k's. noise only occurs when the back suspension is under pressure, eg when coming out of an incline driveway or over speed bumps or such. noise sounds almost like a knocking. at first i thought the filler lid was open and knocking back against the body, and then i thought the jack may be loose in its mounts. definatly not either as the jack is now removed and fuel flap closed but still the noise... any ideas? maybe i should drop by pedders for a $18 check?

Posted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Na fairlane, xe 351 ute

NSW, Australia

apparently it a common problem for the wheel bearings to go. i'd get it checked by a driveline mechanic asap or maybe control arm bushes are gone

Current cars
1983 XE Ute - xf front, worked 351, straight gas
1990 Na fairlane - stock

ex cars
Fg xr6t, 80 series cruiser, ba xt, ea s-pac (xr6 test model), ke laser.

Posted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:57 am 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: EBII Fairmont

VIC, Australia

Sounds like the rear swaybar links are worn. Take it to a dealer and tell them to check it out. They are easy to change by yourself if you wanted to do that (abt 5 mins max to change both sides), but I would get them to find the exact fault first before jumping to conclusions, cause I could be wrong.

If you decide to change them yourself then let me know and I can tell you what you need to do.

Posted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:35 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: BA XR6

NSW, Australia

could be the bush/bolt for the rear of the diff cover, the diff is held up in 3 points and the center 1 does often give in, my second hand/new BA had this same problem...

†={][}= TEKNO ={][}=†

Posted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: ED Fairmont Ghia & EF XR8

VIC, Australia

many ba/bf's have a problem with shagged out rear diff bushes.

not that hard to fix if your handy with the tools but very time consuming as the whole irs cradle has to come out

Posted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:32 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: BA XR6

NSW, Australia

thats right, my problem wasnt the bush but,, it was where the bolt goes into the diff cover was flogged out, so i had the diff cover, bolt spacer and bush repalced, cost me $860 all up from the mechanics.

†={][}= TEKNO ={][}=†

Posted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1993 EB XR8

QLD, Australia

Try tightening the halfshafts. A mate had the same issues, did a diff swap and it was still there... Tightened the halfshafts as tight as possible and the noise went away

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Posted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

thanks for the ideas guys. 67 rce im not terribly great on the spanner. whats a half shaft and how do i tighten it? failing that, i might go with green reaper and get a pedders check to see if its anything suspension related, and then deal with the results. howsie would any mechanic make for a driveline mechanic? can i take it to any mechanic or should i go back to ford for a major service and tell them to find the problem? (i need a service anyways) actually thinking about green reapers idea, i do remember finding that the rear swaybar had the bolt missing at the end last time i did some work on her. i picked another up at a wreckers and just chucked it in. body roll corrected itself but now the noise has started. hmmmm

Posted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:35 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1993 EB XR8

QLD, Australia

A halfshaft is the axle, pull the wheels and rear rotors off and there is a 36mm nut that needs to be done up with a rattle gun

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Posted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 98 NL, 97NL, 98EL

Power: 141 rwkw

QLD, Australia

BA's have a problem with diff's, I see ones that have done 40,000kms all the time at work, and they are just shagged.

BANNED!!!!

Posted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:10 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: EBII Fairmont

VIC, Australia

If the car is still in warranty then I would take it to a Ford dealership, just incase it is something that they could fix under warranty. If not then they should report it to you and tell you what exactly is wrong, then you can decide if you want them to do the work or get someone else to fix it (or do it yourself).

Post subject: Re: strange ba rear end noises
Posted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:32 am 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: BA XR6,ED Wagon,EA Sedans,XF Ghi

QLD, Australia

phatba wrote:
hey guys, have been getting some strange noises from the rear end of my ba lately. car has only done approx 40 000 k's. noise only occurs when the back suspension is under pressure, eg when coming out of an incline driveway or over speed bumps or such. noise sounds almost like a knocking. at first i thought the filler lid was open and knocking back against the body, and then i thought the jack may be loose in its mounts. definatly not either as the jack is now removed and fuel flap closed but still the noise... any ideas? maybe i should drop by pedders for a $18 check?

Hey Jeff!
Could be any of the above suggestions,I found on the new XR6 & this BA that the knocking noise I got was from the fuel filler neck rattling& clunking???? :D

"When Cars Were Steel"
"Cars Were Real"

Posted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:42 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

dave is there any way of tightening it up or checking to eliminate that possibility?

Posted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:55 am 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: BA XR6,ED Wagon,EA Sedans,XF Ghi

QLD, Australia

Yeah Jeff open fuel flap & give the Filler neck a shake & see if it rattles.
There is a big plastic nut on the end that can screw down tight.
If it still rattles ,,,,,,,,,I got underneath & used thin long cable ties to secure it! .....no more annoying rattle.
Hope thats all it is mate!!!!!!!!!! :cry:

"When Cars Were Steel"
"Cars Were Real"

Posted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

they also have problems with the top shocker bolt in the rear,make sure its tight,correct tension is 80nm

97 el xr6,5 speed short shifter,sequential scoop,no arial,freshly resprayed,low on 17's,3 inch zorst,stainless hi flo cat,snort stage 3 stainless manifold,garrett t04e,front mount cooler,wolf 3d ecu,seimens 760cc injectors,walbro fuel pump

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next