suggestion to strenghin t5 during rebuild 

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: suggestion to strenghin t5 during rebuild
Posted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF V8 Futura, 180sx

QLD, Australia

Hey guys

my t5 started to give up on me and my turbo I6 EF so i bought a good t5 off a mate and slapped that in after work only too me 1.5 hours including getting the car and cleaning to mess up off the floor after.

im going to rebuild my t5 i just removed and slap a reco kit threw it but i was wondering if there anything to strenghin the shafts and gears??? Shot pan? or icotropic bath/finshing???? or there billet gear and shafts that i can buy???

Thx Jason

Ford EF Futura Black
18" koya Strykers, AU engine with port and polish EB head, crow valve springs, standard cam, Large aftermarket RX7 turbo, T5 manual 3" intercooler piping, 600x300x100 intercooler core, MSII with innovate wideband O2 sensor and guage. BA F6 bodykit

Posted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:22 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: EF XR6

QLD, Australia

If you stay with the running gear in the box:- convert it to roller bearings on the main shaft,ballence the gears, Back cut the standard gears, after market shifter with stops on it CRUTIAL and a good set of syncros. Run transmax Z, yes it is a auto fluid but it is the best oil for the t5. Back cutting the gears will not help with strength but it will give you a more possative gear selection acts a tiny bit like a dog box not so relient on the clutch being full depressed to select the gear and back cutting will make it a hell of alot harder to knock out of gear too. The after market shifter with stops will stop the most common problem people encounter on t5s which is over selecting 2nd gear and pushing the shifter fork into the 2nd gear syncro, when this happens it makes it hard to select 2nd gear and can often pop 2nd gear out under heavy load. The other weak point it a t5 is 3rd gear because it is on the end of the shaft so if you intend to be trying to smash 3rd gear under EXTREMELY high loads it will part itself from the shaft, it takes a huge amount of torque to achieve that though! I would be suprised if you do that i have only seen it happen once and that was on a TT 355 stroker when he tryedto start a power skin in 3rd gear on full boost. CLEVER :)

OR you can buy a set of full dog gears or back cut dog gears from the USA. Stronger (billet) main shafts are also available but i would not really worry about the main shaft unless you intend to make a dog box. From memory the dog boxes are something lke $5000 exchange. you send them any t5 and $5000 and they sedn you the dog box. the gears sets are about $2500 and the shafts were abournd the $1200 depending on the shaft.

O you can shot peen and polish the gears and shaft too any surface defects/blemishes will weaken them, but if you are breaking gears you should probably get a dog box.

Wont be cheap to build!
GOOD LUCK

PS stick with the t5 they are not as weak as people think if they are massaged in the right ways :wink:

EF XR6 Manual 271RWHP/199RWKW N/A using Stock manifold with dual plane runners still operating. EFI Hardware 6TBM to come mid year.

Posted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: 1994 ED Ricer

WA, Australia

xr6eat50, you have only seen a t5 snap third once? Maybe you need to get out more lol.

Posted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 29 images

Ride: ELXR8 SERIES 2

SA, Australia

there is a mob in the states that builds tough t5 boxes but i cant remember who it was. they claim they will hold 500hp all day every day and they were about $2500us. there is a thread about these on here but you would have to sift through a few pages to find it as it was a while ago.

but on the other hand i think it was bottledup (spelling) that had a stock t5 holding 600hp with no trouble, just have to treat it right.

with big horses and WITHOUT big clutch dumps the old t5 can last quite well untill the bell housing startes to warp.

EL XR8 SERIES 2, 5SPD, HOT CHILLI RED, 200 ODD RWKW OF V8 FUN AND GAMES

EF XR6, 5SPD, HERITAGE GREEN, AU XR6 VCT ENGINE

VL COMMODORE, 5SPD, WHITE

BA XT, AUTO, OFFSHORE BLUE

Posted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:59 pm 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

eed-250 wrote:
xr6eat50, you have only seen a t5 snap third once? Maybe you need to get out more lol.

Love the smart asse tools on here with constructive posts. We are all dumber for reading it thatks! Keep up the great work

EF XR6 Manual 271RWHP/199RWKW N/A using Stock manifold with dual plane runners still operating. EFI Hardware 6TBM to come mid year.

Posted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:09 pm 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

Below is a link to the G Froce Transmitions site, one of the best T5 Dog Boxes in the world! These are the gears etc i mentioned in my first post.

http://www.gforcetransmissions.com/tran_gt-5.asp

Posted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: EF Falcon

QLD, Australia

xr6eat 50 wrote:
eed-250 wrote:

Love the smart asse tools on here with constructive posts. We are all dumber for reading it thatks! Keep up the great work

but it is true. the third gear on the t5s are a weak spot that can cause problems in even stock cars. Hell the synchro on mine doesnt play well with the quickshifter.

Nicco's M112 Blown, T-56 equipped EF
forums/viewtopic.php?t=68319

Posted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: DENTED UP OLD AUT WAGON

New Zealand

If only I had that sort of money... Sigh...

Posted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:44 pm 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

nicco wrote:
xr6eat 50 wrote:
eed-250 wrote:

but it is true. the third gear on the t5s are a weak spot that can cause problems in even stock cars. Hell the synchro on mine doesnt play well with the quickshifter.

If you read my original post i do agree third is an issue but unless you drive like a total moron in a stock car, neglect servicing the gearbox and try to smash third gear everywhere, Third will hold up fine. I would like to see some one throw third gear off the shaft with a stock car. Give a race built box to a retard and they will find a way to wreck it! BOTTOM LINE is third will hold up if you respect the gear box, I have not had a problem kicking the clutch in 3rd with a gutt full of NOS running through my motor. all it does is turn tyres, i would never try that with slick on though.

As far as your shifter not helping if you had an existing syncro problem it will not fix that. if you didn't and you hurt the syncro with the shifter on the box the stops on the shifter are not set properly. Are there stops on the shifter??

Posted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 15 images

Ride: BA Ford Fairlane V8

NSW, Australia

xr6eat 50 wrote:
If you stay with the running gear in the box:- convert it to roller bearings on the main shaft,ballence the gears, Back cut the standard gears, after market shifter with stops on it CRUTIAL and a good set of syncros. Run transmax Z, yes it is a auto fluid but it is the best oil for the t5. Back cutting the gears will not help with strength but it will give you a more possative gear selection acts a tiny bit like a dog box not so relient on the clutch being full depressed to select the gear and back cutting will make it a hell of alot harder to knock out of gear too. The after market shifter with stops will stop the most common problem people encounter on t5s which is over selecting 2nd gear and pushing the shifter fork into the 2nd gear syncro, when this happens it makes it hard to select 2nd gear and can often pop 2nd gear out under heavy load. The other weak point it a t5 is 3rd gear because it is on the end of the shaft so if you intend to be trying to smash 3rd gear under EXTREMELY high loads it will part itself from the shaft, it takes a huge amount of torque to achieve that though! I would be suprised if you do that i have only seen it happen once and that was on a TT 355 stroker when he tryedto start a power skin in 3rd gear on full boost. CLEVER :)

Hey mate, I've got a EA spec T5 hiding behind my warm 5.0L wagon and what you said about 2nd gear happened to me recently at Mt Panorama under forced engine braking using 2nd. I'm a fitter/machinist by trade but automotive gearboxes are a bit new to me but I'm up for a challenge. I have Ford factory workshop manuals covering rebuilds but apart from the useful info on back cutting the gears etc, could you please advise me where I can get a rebuild kit for mine? This is something that I'm going to be up for sooner rather than later unfortunately. Thanks :)

Interested in a fair go for the Hunter-New England area of NSW?

Posted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: Envi EF

NSW, Australia

My best suggestion is to replace it with a T5Z or T56.

>>>EF Futura T build<<<

Posted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:32 pm 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

I am not exactly sure who make the rebuild kits but i am sure a desent local gear box shop could supply you with everything you need. They range from about $150 to $400. there are some on ebay but who know how good they are. do a google search and see what you turn up if you know the model number of your gear box any seller of the rebuild kits should be able to set you up with the right one.

Good luck rebuilding it

Posted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:14 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 15 images

Ride: BA Ford Fairlane V8

NSW, Australia

Interested in a fair go for the Hunter-New England area of NSW?

Posted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: EF Falcon

QLD, Australia

xr6eat 50 wrote:
As far as your shifter not helping if you had an existing syncro problem it will not fix that. if you didn't and you hurt the syncro with the shifter on the box the stops on the shifter are not set properly. Are there stops on the shifter??

To be honest the box in the car i've only had for 5000km. It was supposed to have been re built but i am iffy of that. The synchro problem surfaced soon after we put it in (1000km)

I have stops on the shifter, but from memory, we were having trouble making it effect 3rd gear, ie: 1st and 5th sat further forwards than third, so when we adjusted it for third we couldnt get 1st or 5th; and when we adjusted it for 1st and 5th it had no effect on 3rd. :?

Nicco's M112 Blown, T-56 equipped EF
forums/viewtopic.php?t=68319

Posted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1994 ED Ricer

WA, Australia

xr6eat 50 wrote:
eed-250 wrote:

You are making everyone dumber buy filling them with crackpipe dreams of strong t5's. But yeah your right, only a twin turbo 355 stroker will snap 3rd gear.

Last edited by eed-250 on Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next