Fordmods Logo

Super Low Suspention 

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Super Low Suspention
Posted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:21 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: Falcon EB II

VIC, Australia

Hey guys, i know this has been covered about a billion times, i did a search but could mainly find people asking about superlows, I went and bought front and rear superlows for the falcoon from repco, only $90 a set :D and repco SAID they would get me in a pair of "short" travel shocks, i look at them today and they are fuggin stock ones :evil: i went to pedders earlier this arvo and they said they want 700 for some shorter travel shockers, but he also said i shouldnt use king spring superlows as they are in his words "not suited for street use", Now the question im asking, "drumroll" im after some shorter travel shocks but not so pricey, anybody know of anyone who do shockers in melb for a bit less?.

Also about roughly, any guess will do how high would the car sit with short shocks and superlows, i know this is asking how long is a piece string but if there is no way this is going to be legal hight then im not going to do it, is there a write up on how to change springs/shockers?

Thanks guys

-Nick

• F*** McDonalds... I'll make you go Mmmmmm...
• F*** SubWay... I'll give you a foot long

Proud owner of the 18233rd EB Falcon

Posted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:21 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: 2009 FG XR6 Sedan

VIC, Australia

This place in Hallam does Ultima shocks (shortened) I know the rears are $150 a set which is very reasonable, not sure on the fronts. Call them anyways. I bought my Dobinson springs from there for $230 front and rear.

Online Performance Autos. They have an outlet at: 10/ 35-41 Westpool Drive Hallam VIC 3803
Phone: 0397031652
Web: http://www.onautos.com.au/

Posted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:29 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 07 BF mk2 E-gas wagon + eb 5.0

Power: 174 rwkw

SA, Australia

kings superlows will be about 345mm from centre of hub to guard at the front and about 350mm at the rear. shocks will have no bearing on ride height. all cars tend to be a little bit different though.

eb v8: low loud and fast. just how a v8 should be. i guess the big question is, is it fast enough...

Posted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:13 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

He doesnt mean ride height but the actual suspension travel. You need shortened shocks with superlows so as the shock doesnt bottom out onto the bump stop.

Post subject: Re: Super Low Suspention
Posted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:21 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

[SXC3A] wrote:
Also about roughly, any guess will do how high would the car sit with short shocks and superlows, i know this is asking how long is a piece string but if there is no way this is going to be legal hight then im not going to do it, is there a write up on how to change springs/shockers?

Thanks guys

-Nick

i'd say he's asking for ride height!!!

superlows are illegal but you won't get any trouble from the boys in blue, unless you draw attention to yourself. plenty of cars lower than legal height.

eb v8: low loud and fast. just how a v8 should be. i guess the big question is, is it fast enough...

Posted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:25 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

If you email Kings, they can confirm the reduced ride height
figures from standard.
From memory I think the figures are:
Low: -35mm approx from standard
Super Low: -55mm approx from standard
You can check out the undercarriage and see if you make the
100mm min. clearance rule.

I have a list of insurance requirements from NRMA if you want them.

Posted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:55 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Oops misread what he meant with the shortened shocks, but there are front struts that lower around 25-30mm. Anyways the specs from Kings for super lows HTG (Height to guard) is front- 345mm and rear- 350mm

Posted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:31 pm 
Fordmods Addict

Ride: BA XR6T

VIC, Australia

the car will be illegally low, i had them on mine and the central muffler dragged its guts on everything.

never had any trouble from the law about the height, the exhaust yes, but not the height :P

Posted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:53 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

I have superlows with std shocks.. is this an issue? I have vibrations of the tailshaft on the chassis with a full car load too. :(

Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:45 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

80% of guys on here will tell you that you need lowered shocks with superlow springs and most suspension places will tell you the same but they have to to cover themselves in the off chance one of the std height shocks develops an issue. i dissagree. std shocks will be fine for everyday street use. i've never bought lower shocks and nearly every car i've owned i've lowered. obviously you will lose up to 50mm travel in the shock but it won't bottom out. your car may hit the bump stops from time to time but this is not to be confused with the shock bottoming out.

as far as exhausts scraping and stuff, very easy to get lifted and you won't have any trouble. my xr6 wagon that i had was lowered on superlows(see gallery) and i had the exhaust raised and never scraped on anything even though the wagons are longer wheelbase. exhaust was a custom job though. may be a bit harder with off the shelf products.

so in short. if you are a bit cash strapped or don't really want that race handling or just lowering for looks, you can get away with std shocks with superlows.

Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:48 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Tiga you will probarbly find that your upper and lower trailing arm bushes are worn which is affecting the pinion angle. This will cause a vibration from the rear of the driveshaft especially as the car is lower.

Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Tiga_EL wrote:
I have superlows with std shocks.. is this an issue?

Can the super low springs be fully captured (at full extension, ie on a jack) with std shocks..??
I think this is a requirement for roadworthy in NSW.

Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Standard shocks do trap the springs but only just on the rear, the main problem will be is the travel of the shock when springs are under load. There is only about 20mm of distance until the shock bottoms out on the bump stops, so if you have a couple of guys in the back you will more than likely be riding on the bump stops.

Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

gotcha

Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 3:54 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: ED Fairmont

VIC, Australia

i've got superlows last 6 months i've been pulled up 5+ times and never any issues, just the usual BS breatho test and license check!

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next