Fordmods Logo

superlows in EB sedan? 

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: superlows in EB sedan?
Posted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:14 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

Got a set, got quoted $310 and then $160 and then $140 by 3 different workshops to fit them...

Was told by the cheaper one 'i strongly recommend not putting superlows in the front of an EB because it's just impractically low'

Opinions?

Also opinions on doing springs without changing shocks? My 2 back shocks are only a couple months old, don't wanna buy new one already!

Also if any fordmods guru within an hours drive of melbourne wants to undercut those quotes for a cash in hand backyard job, throw me an offer ;)

1: Mum's car: ED XR6 wagon.zorst,stereo
2: My cars: Holden Monaro CV8-Z 2005. ls1 v8 :)
3: Nissan 180sx.sr20det, ~180rwkw.Lotsa mods,0-100 in 5.2secs.crashed into pole :(
4: EB2 Fairmont. 5spd,2.5" zorst,hi-flow cat,extractors,wade977b,j3, plus a 152dB 200psi train horn

Post subject: Re: superlows in EB sedan?
Posted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:54 pm 
VIC Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: ed

VIC, Australia

what do ultra lows look like then? in a ed?

94 White ED Wagon
eaton M112 supercharger, lowered a tad, extractors, 2.5" exhaust, T5 , custom SureCam supercharger cam, 3.45 lokka, 2 piece tailshaft, poyair bags in the back, TSS front Skirt, Sprint skirts, XR wagon spoiler.
soon to get: AU diff, upc 330mm brakes, Vapor LPG injection.

Posted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:04 pm 
VIC Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: ed

VIC, Australia

ive got superlows and im just tucking tires and ive never had a problem. but dose anyone have ultras? feedback?

94 White ED Wagon
eaton M112 supercharger, lowered a tad, extractors, 2.5" exhaust, T5 , custom SureCam supercharger cam, 3.45 lokka, 2 piece tailshaft, poyair bags in the back, TSS front Skirt, Sprint skirts, XR wagon spoiler.
soon to get: AU diff, upc 330mm brakes, Vapor LPG injection.

Posted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:40 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

uniacidz wrote:
Will need lowered shocks.

Superlows on a EB is possible but tyre would rub on braking/turning

So what do I need to do to fit superlows without rubbing?

3: Nissan 180sx.sr20det, ~180rwkw.Lotsa mods,0-100 in 5.2secs.crashed into pole :(
4: EB2 Fairmont. 5spd,2.5" zorst,hi-flow cat,extractors,wade977b,j3, plus a 152dB 200psi train horn

Posted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:42 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: FG MK2 XR6T

NSW, Australia

In my EB2 I've got Lows in the front and Superlows in the back with Ultima shortened shocks rolling on 15" Turboblades.

I think the rear is a tad too low. I don't have any pictures atm to show unfortunetely.

If it's just me or 1 passenger in the car it's fine. If i have any passengers in the back i will scrape my towbar or cat on the occasion in carparks and driveways etc which imo just isn't practical.

Lows all around with shortened shocks if it's a daily. And OP, if your lowering it, don't even think about using your standard shocks as it's dangerous and even if the two shocks in the rear are brand new, they are going to be rooted in 6 months. Better off just flogging them off to a forum member or keeping them so you can return to standard height when you sell the car.

Formerly LV XR5 Turbo, AU Fairmont Ghia V8 & EBII Fairmont I6.

Now......
Feb 2012 FG MK2 XR6 Turbo
- Manual
- Luxury Pack

Posted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:55 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

Interesting. Might sell on the springs to a mate then, I did my learners in a car that was about 70mm from the ground and it was annoying as, so hard to not scrape, had to take speed humps under 10km/h. My 180sx was about 110mm off ground though and I found that to be a practical height, very rarely scraped when driving knowing that it's low.

I'm guessing EB with superlows would be more like 70-80mm off ground then?

Posted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:25 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EB S XR6

VIC, Australia

if it helps ya, iv got an ed, in the past 3 months i installed a set of xr springs with 1 coil cut in the front, with standard gli shockers, and super lows in the rear, my front shocks loved it, and still do but the rears were bouncey and within 2 weeks started making a terrible knocking noise and basicly stoped working, so the backend was bouncey as, i changed the rears to pedders shortened big bore low shocks, and she rides like a dream, deffinataly change the rear shocks, and keep the new standard ones u have aside.
also my car isnt too bad height wise, thou still with a fair drop front and rear from stock height, dosnt scrape over anything much, just every now n then the towbar will clip things.

cheers, Rob

Posted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:34 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

dyefuker wrote:
if it helps ya, iv got an ed, in the past 3 months i installed a set of xr springs with 1 coil cut in the front, with standard gli shockers, and super lows in the rear, my front shocks loved it, and still do but the rears were bouncey and within 2 weeks started making a terrible knocking noise and basicly stoped working, so the backend was bouncey as, i changed the rears to pedders shortened big bore low shocks, and she rides like a dream, deffinataly change the rear shocks, and keep the new standard ones u have aside.
also my car isnt too bad height wise, thou still with a fair drop front and rear from stock height, dosnt scrape over anything much, just every now n then the towbar will clip things.

cheers, Rob

Thanks mate, my sedan actually doesn't have a towbar :) Towing is the wagons job

Hmm...interesting stuff. Well a mate of mine has spring compressors so I might try do this as the weekend project :)

Posted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:52 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EB S XR6

VIC, Australia

the back end is easy as, dont even need to compress the standard springs to get them out, u just need to lift the back end up, undo the top and bottom shocker bolts, then the back end will drop more and the spring will lift out, the front end is a different story, i had to dissconect the bottem control arm and castor arm just to get the struts out

good luck with it all

Posted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EA SVO, AU2, Toyota Crown

VIC, Australia

i had cut superlows in my EB at one point. made it 65mm off the ground. it had lowered shocks in the rear and standards in the front. sat on bump stops in the front. road like crap but looked awesome. also had no scrubbing issues with 15"

Daily driver: 2010 Toyota Crown hybrid 3.5L V6 hybrid. 254kw.
Weekend car: AU2 "XR8" 220kw 5L 5 speed. 19" BBS LM . Full exhaust. Lowered on Kings and Koni's. 13.8@97mph
Fast car: EA SVO AU motor. Built BTR. SDE 3500 stall. 76mm turbo. On E85. approx 425rwkw. 10.8@126mph

Posted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 92 EB s

NSW, Australia

Im putting superlows in my front tomorro if all goes to plan.

Posted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 92 EB s

NSW, Australia

Im putting superlows in my front tomorro if all goes to plan.

Posted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: Envi EF

NSW, Australia

Superlows aren't that low. They would be well over the 100mm limit. I have supers all round in my EF and its not that low at all.
If you fit lowered shocks try and get them with a lower spring base - this will lower the front end even more yet retain the shock travel.

>>>EF Futura T build<<<

Posted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EA SVO, AU2, Toyota Crown

VIC, Australia

krisisdog wrote:
Superlows aren't that low. They would be well over the 100mm limit. I have supers all round in my EF and its not that low at all.
If you fit lowered shocks try and get them with a lower spring base - this will lower the front end even more yet retain the shock travel.

in Vic it's 100mm with 4 passengers! my EB is 99mm unloaded!

Daily driver: 2010 Toyota Crown hybrid 3.5L V6 hybrid. 254kw.
Weekend car: AU2 "XR8" 220kw 5L 5 speed. 19" BBS LM . Full exhaust. Lowered on Kings and Koni's. 13.8@97mph
Fast car: EA SVO AU motor. Built BTR. SDE 3500 stall. 76mm turbo. On E85. approx 425rwkw. 10.8@126mph

Posted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:41 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

WildEB does sit low, seen it myself.

I have SL's in my EB, and find they are ok, but i have to take some driveways & speed humps very carefully. I had to fit a bump stop above the diff center, shorter bump stops in the rear and i am also running pedders shocks to suit lowered springs all round. Running a 17x8 rim with 235/45's on the car. No scrub, but man it's close. I'm sitting only a tad over 100mm off the ground from my lowest point on the car.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next