Fordmods Logo

Surging/fading EL Falcon - PLEASE HELP!!!! 

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: Surging/fading EL Falcon - PLEASE HELP!!!!
Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:16 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Falcon 97 EL wagon

VIC, Australia

Hi All,

Hope I'm posting in the right spot...not sure what the issue is so hope i am...

My 97 EL Falcon (auto Wagon) has started surging/losing power while trying to accelerate out of first/from parked. I recently had the fuel pump changed so maybe it's that but i'm thinking maybe it's the transmission:

ISSUE It's only happened a few times but has been when I slow down to traffic lights and try to accelerate out again: it starts surging and fading away/losing power and not responding to the accelerator pedal. I've tried accelerating through it or gently trying to ease the pedal through it but nothing works... it has its own mind and just won't let me pick up speed again...doesn't let me get out of first or second (barely out of 20 or 30 km/h), but if I pull over and switch off the engine it'll start straight back up and drives like normal (i.e. accelerates out from parked just fine) till I slow down again and can't accelerate through/past the surging and fading/have so to switch it off again. But then later on it drives just fine.

I'm not sure if it's a fuel line thing or spark plugs or transmission or??? I'm a total noob with cars so not sure where to even start or what to look for/what to do. :(

Any help/advice would be massively appreciated!!!!!!!!!! Is it something I can fix??

cheers

Post subject: Re: Surging/fading EL Falcon - PLEASE HELP!!!!
Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AU Fairmont Ghia

SA, Australia

Seems odd to me that it happens so randomly. But I'm thinking it could be a clogged fuel filter, or your ignition leads and/or spark plugs need replacing. In situations like this, unless I can diagnose exactly what the issue is, I'll use the process of elimination starting with the least expensive thing and working up.

dc_todd wrote:
Cheap pads squeal like cheap hookers, and you can take that to the bank.

Au Fairmont Ghia
My (Old) 95 EF Wagon

Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:38 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Falcon 97 EL wagon

VIC, Australia

Thanks for getting back. I think you're right and perhaps it is the fuel filter or maybe the fuel pump as the sender unit isn't working either and when i put the pedal flat to the floor in neutral it flattens out/stutters big time. If it is the leads and spark plugs tho is it easy to explain how to change them on an EL Wagon? My experience doing anything with cars is limited to this one n so i've just been figuring things as i go/need to

Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AU Fairmont Ghia

SA, Australia

With changing leads the best thing to do is change them one at a time, that way you won't screw up the firing order. Plugs are relatively straight forward, just don't over-tighten them or you'll never get them out again, or worst case strip the thread on the head... bad news.
The best thing you could do is buy a workshop manual (or download one.. here: http://www.fordmods.com/fordmods-technical-documents-diy-f38/ea-eb-ed-ef-el-nf-nl-ltd-workshop-manual-t86156.html ) and read up.

dc_todd wrote:
Cheap pads squeal like cheap hookers, and you can take that to the bank.

Au Fairmont Ghia
My (Old) 95 EF Wagon

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]