Fordmods Logo

Sway bars, some more fair than others? 

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Sway bars, some more fair than others?
Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF F6 Tornado - #0077

VIC, Australia

getting the susspension done in the next week. talking to a guy from pedders ordering bushes and he asked 'what size is the bar?' to which i reply 'um, standard...' He then said that since EF's, the sway bar bushes are different diameters. a sort of 'how was the guy feeling when he made the bar?'

apparently there is a fair bit of variance too. starts making me think, if the bars are different sizes, could the handling be drasticly different?

** For Sale ** http://www.fordmods.com/ford-parts-for-sale-f17/assorted-e-series-parts-t124697.html

F6 Tornado 2006 Build

Is it about sex? The engine in my car? Or a cure for cancer?
No?

Then f**k off

Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:53 pm 
Fordmods Addict

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Falcon

Power: 237 rwkw

VIC, Australia

A swaybar, for E-Series anyway, is a length of metal bar.
Bent up.
To have different size swaybars randomly, they would have had to be making each one from different bar stock.
Which doesn't make sense.
Your pedders guy is quite possibly on crack.

ED XR8 Sprint - S-Trim, V500, 249rwkw
BF MKII F6 Tornado - 237rwkw

Posted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:30 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 14 images

Ride: A massive sideways utensil.

NSW, Australia

Steady ED wrote:
A swaybar, for E-Series anyway, is a length of metal bar.
Bent up.
To have different size swaybars randomly, they would have had to be making each one from different bar stock.
Which doesn't make sense.
Your pedders guy is quite possibly on crack.
yes, possibly on crack, or some other mind
altering substance.

XR6 conversion, CAI, 3inch intake, modified intake plenum, polished TB, 2.5inch exhaust, modified cat, pwr radiator and expansion tank, BTR, kevlar bands, JMM 3K converter, shiftkit, 3.91, 31spline spool, 31spline billet axel$, Nolathane, RDA golds, Custom interior, genuine GT's

Posted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

In the EF/EL models, there were 3 different front bars. 26mm STD, 27mm XR6/8, and 28mm XH Ambo/1 tonne ute. These will fit from EA to EL and XH utes/vans.
I had an XH Ambo 28mm bar on my EA, using EF outer link kits. The EF outer link kits will fit from EA to EL & XH.
The rear bars on the sedans were all the same size, 22mm.
In the AU 1 live axle, they were 23mm, but were hollow like pipe.

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:54 pm 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

I work at pedders, and there are varying sizes. For some reason there is a different size on different cars, even though they can be the same model. The pedders guy is not on crack, I think the person who made the swaybars and then fitted them was on crack!

Posted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:48 pm 
Fordmods Addict

VIC, Australia

So what you are trying to tell me, is there are random sized swaybars floating around, and somehow all the bushes that got fitted are also randomly sized, and randomly managed to get matched to the right bars so the swaybar doesn't knock right off the factory floor?

Posted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF F6 Tornado - #0077

VIC, Australia

well if the bars were 'stock' but of varing sizes, the bushes that were 'stock' would have either needed to be sized when fitting, or it would have been as sloppy as all f**k.

as well, the size may only vary 1 mil either side, but who's to say they arnt made of different material. so the handling across all the models would be completely different?

** For Sale ** http://www.fordmods.com/ford-parts-for-sale-f17/assorted-e-series-parts-t124697.html

F6 Tornado 2006 Build

Is it about sex? The engine in my car? Or a cure for cancer?
No?

Then f**k off

Posted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:08 pm 
Fordmods Addict

VIC, Australia

It's highly unlikely the swaybars and swaybar bushes were made in the same place.
Like, impossible.
Generally people that do bending of steel and s**t, don't also do rubber and/or polyurethane stuff.

1mm is alot of difference when talking about swaybars.
I don't even understand the logic behind this Pedders taught theory.
The only explanation I can come up with is they need to teach their fitters how to use verniers.

Posted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:13 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

VIC, Australia

xf_xr6 wrote:
I work at pedders, and there are varying sizes. For some reason there is a different size on different cars, even though they can be the same model. The pedders guy is not on crack, I think the person who made the swaybars and then fitted them was on crack!

My experience would dictate that anyone who works for Pedders would be the last person I would seek information from. So I've got $$$ on the Pedders guy being on crack!

Posted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:00 pm 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

i don't care if you guys believe me or not, I only do this for a living! And I am telling you, that there are different size swaybars out there. Get a mates EF/EL and compare if to your own. They are different.

Don't know why its so hard for you f**k to believe this.... I think you are the ones on crack

Posted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:17 am 
Fordmods Addict

VIC, Australia

xf_xr6 wrote:
Don't know why its so hard for you f**k to believe this.... I think you are the ones on crack

How the f**k are ford supposed to have sized the bushes for the swaybars if they are all random sizes?
And HOW different are we talking here?

Posted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:12 am 
NSW Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: TE50

NSW, Australia

Sorry mate, fords Qualtiy control and Supply Agreements would see this did not happen.. they would be under a supply agreement to ensure the bulk were all same size maybe 1 in 100 would be acceptable difference, and also under control of MINIMUM material quality to be used. this would ensure the bars are not made from melted vietnamesse tea pots.
And on the topic of grab your mates car.. done it, months ago.. 4 mates EF/EL falcons + my fathers all measured with vernier calipers all measured up with stuff all varience. Why did we measure? to see in certain models had different sizes and model varients.. did we find anything? not that wasn't already known..

Man up, admit your wrong and pedders is f**k. Already know that they will tell you to get new suspension and bushes when the pedders shop 2 suburbs away has just done the full suspension rebuild. so much for their 28 point saftey money generating test.

I have a car.

Posted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:15 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

VIC, Australia

xf_xr6 wrote:
i don't care if you guys believe me or not, I only do this for a living! And I am telling you, that there are different size swaybars out there. Get a mates EF/EL and compare if to your own. They are different.

I think its already been determined here there are a number of STANDARD size bars for the falcon. What you seem to be insinuating is that a standard 27mm bar can be +/- say .6mm

dc_todd wrote:
Man up, admit your wrong and pedders is f**k. Already know that they will tell you to get new suspension and bushes when the pedders shop 2 suburbs away has just done the full suspension rebuild. so much for their 28 point saftey money generating test.

Never has you said something more sensible. That was my exact experience with them as well, although when I told him the front end bushes were new, he then jumped into the "they are s**t, s**t quality" spiel.

Posted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

xf_xr6 wrote:

How about maybe the thickness of the powder coating varies the thickness of the bars????
If they use 26mm bar stock, its 26mm. That is what the rolling mill is set at. Any variation would be very minimal.

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 1:32 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA 3v ute

VIC, Australia

After pedders told me i'd need lowering blocks on the ute i'd say they're all on crack :mrgreen:

www.bseries.com.au/punktured

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next