Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

Post subject: T5 gearbox noise...
Posted: Mon May 07, 2007 9:31 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EL Falcon

VIC, Australia

Ok... Here is the deal....

My t5 is becoming very noisy... At first i thought it was bearings.. But its not a constant wine or anything... Its like a loud on off whiring noise that increases in speed as the car increases in speed... It can only be heard in 1st and 2nd gear. 1st gear is alot noisyer.

I spoke to a mechanical teacher at my tafe, and he said that it sounds like a bearing on the input shaft has started to chew out the input shaft its self, and when its in 1st gear most of the strain is on the front of the shaft, that is why it is louder in 1st than 2nd and cant be heard in 3rd (cause 3rd is in the middle of the shaft). He also said that this is a common problem with the t5 gearbox.

I then spoke to a mechanic who just recantly rebuilt my diff, and he said that it just sounds like a bearing on the 'cluster' has gone and a bearing kit would fix my problem...

Could anyone help my with any info... The last thing i want to do is to take the box to the mechanic, him start to pull it down, find out that the input shaft is stuffed and say, "that will be 150 bucks for my time and by the way you need a new gearbox anyway"....

Any help would be greatly appricated....l

CHeers....

EL 4.0, XR6 cam, Pacemaker extractors, 2.5" exhaust, 17" Advanti Racing Stalker Rims, Ultra Low King Springs, K&N Pannel filter, NOW MANUAL, 3.45:1 LSD

9.694 @ 75.38 MPH at Mildura Drag Strip 1/8 Mile

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 1 post ]