Fordmods Logo

t5 poping out of reverse (advise) 

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Post subject: t5 poping out of reverse (advise)
Posted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: 02 xls ute 347

SA, Australia

im lookin at buying this ea falcon for $200 its crappy CFI and looks liek a piece of s**t but its 5spd :D

the problem is that the bloke said it pops out of reverse sometimes my question is, is this common can it get worse would it be worth buying it and converting mine to manual

02 series 3 AU marline ute 5speed 347 stroker

Posted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

I'd buy it for that price, because you could afford to & should do a full rebuild on the box, then you should be right.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:26 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

If it drives okay in the forward gears without popping out, then it shouldn't need a big job to fix reverse.
Normally popping out of gear is movement of the shafts, but in this case it may be a weak spring in the reverse detent.
As mentioned, it would be wise to strip the box and inspect, replace substandard parts, check preloads, etc.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: 03 BA Fairmont

QLD, Australia

busted engine/gearbox mounts?

Regards,
Punnisher_42

Favorite Quotes:
"Sportwagon = homo-erotic wank-fest." - downingj

Posted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: SF5 Forester

NSW, Australia

the whole popping out of reverse is fixable...

remove the tail shaft and loosen the gearbox mount slitghly.. and get in the car and undo the four bolts holding the selector in the top of the box and you should see a welll basically looks very similair to a spring and a ball in a grove....

dismantle that bit get a file and sharpen and widen the grove and put back to gether...

we did this to my cousins old EA... that spring and ball help keep the selector held into place.. my fathers EA does this but the forward gears are good... reverse pops out but he has learnt to live with it.... jsut park were reversing isn't required lol

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Posted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

its only a falcon - i'd just be inclined to force it in there and hold it there as you pull the clutch out...

Posted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

yeah thats what i was thinking i have no problem with just holding it there if its not going to affect any thing else

im nto to sure if it has broken mounts or gear box mounts because i didn't even no the guy he just went to my school and i saw his car had manual in it and i asked him if hes selling it lol and he said yeah for $200

also im not planning on keeping the car im just getting it for the tyres and 5spd conversion

im not to keen on pulling the box apart because i havnt many things before exept pocket bikes lol
but if its as simple as use say it is maybe it wont cost to much to get it fixed up

Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:10 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

With the help of either a Gregory's or a Factory Manual, rebuilding the 5spd shouldn't be too hard if you have played with pocket bikes before.

To be honest, if the car is only costing $200, the 5spd could probably use a freshen up just so it doesn't fail on you within a couple days / weeks of fitting it to your car. Nothing worse than fitting something second hand, then have to pull it back out to reco it not so long after. Also, if the clutch isn't looking too crash hot, get the flywheel machined & a new clutch kit when you fit it.

I did that once with an engine for my Mighty Boy, never again.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:44 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

i know what you mean man
it would suck having to put it in then ripping it out again
i dont have a Gregory's manual
do you know what is involved in rebuilding a t5 and giving it a service

with the 5p conversion can i use the auto tail shaft?

Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Tail shaft = YES.

The rebuild, i didn't have to rebuild mine as it was only 115k kms old & shifting like new still. I just put some new seals on it & in it went. But i've rebuilt a 3spd in my torana many years ago, without a manual it wasn't too hard.

A Gregory's is a good investment, it's helped me out heaps with my EB, as previously i'd only worked on old holdens & fords, nothing past a '80 model! lol.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

Posted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Mitch_ wrote:
its only a falcon - i'd just be inclined to force it in there and hold it there as you pull the clutch out...

Agreed!

Posted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:33 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Private9 wrote:
Mitch_ wrote:

Agreed!

But how much damage could you do to the gearbox & shifter by doing this over the long period of time?

Cheers

ToranaGuy

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 12 posts ]