Fordmods Logo

tailshaft hitting/rubbin?? 

Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Post subject: Re: tailshaft hitting/rubbin??
Posted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:38 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: NL Fairlane

QLD, Australia

MAD wrote:
I'm pretty sure they are still available from Ford. I picked one up about a year ago.

price?

now has t5 manual conversion, 1521a cam, extractors, j3 etc :) the-garage-f53/nl-fairlane-t87847.html

Posted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Cant remember. Maybe around $20-$30

EL Fairmont Ghia - Manual - Supercharged
- The Car
- The Headlights

Posted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:54 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

anyone got a part number? makes it so much easier to deal with ford parts when they actually know what you are talking about...

Posted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: FG Ute, ED XR8 Sprint, GPZ900R

VIC, Australia

619GIE wrote:
Burns wrote:
I had this problem, I had an EL fairmont 5 litre, 5 speed and it was slammed, used to tuck 19's. And me being the fully sick p plater at the time loved it but it always rubbed on the floor and I was a bit like you thinking yeah whatever. It came a time to replace my clutch and also rebuild by gearbox so the tailigshaft came out and what i seen horrorfied me. Not only had the tailshaft become quite worn but there wasn't alot of metal left on the floor before it wore through. And It had only been doing it for a few months. So i raised the car and put a few rubber bump stops along the shaft just in case. I thankfully grown out of those days and car ia also sold. However you really just need to raise your car, could cost you alot of cash or even an accident if you dont. You can use the Xr control arms but i used them to and made stuff all difference, just raise the car :)

did it do it all the time or when u had a full car? cuz it only happens when i have a full car n thats only like 60% of the time i drive

mine did it all the time, and made real thud when i changed gears or gave it any s**t. But still i wouldnt test the waters. I have pics i can upload if you like

The Past: EF Fairmont, EL Fairmont 5.0, HR Special, NF Fairlane 5.0, GSX 250-F, BA II XR8, VS3 Ute, VS2 L67 Calais

The Present: FG Egas Ute, ED XR8 Sprint, GPZ 900R

Posted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:35 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: NL Fairlane

QLD, Australia

Burns wrote:
619GIE wrote:
Burns wrote:
I had this problem, I had an EL fairmont 5 litre, 5 speed and it was slammed, used to tuck 19's. And me being the fully sick p plater at the time loved it but it always rubbed on the floor and I was a bit like you thinking yeah whatever. It came a time to replace my clutch and also rebuild by gearbox so the tailigshaft came out and what i seen horrorfied me. Not only had the tailshaft become quite worn but there wasn't alot of metal left on the floor before it wore through. And It had only been doing it for a few months. So i raised the car and put a few rubber bump stops along the shaft just in case. I thankfully grown out of those days and car ia also sold. However you really just need to raise your car, could cost you alot of cash or even an accident if you dont. You can use the Xr control arms but i used them to and made stuff all difference, just raise the car :)

did it do it all the time or when u had a full car? cuz it only happens when i have a full car n thats only like 60% of the time i drive

mine did it all the time, and made real thud when i changed gears or gave it any s**t. But still i wouldnt test the waters. I have pics i can upload if you like

yeh get some pics up

now has t5 manual conversion, 1521a cam, extractors, j3 etc :) the-garage-f53/nl-fairlane-t87847.html

Posted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA XR6T ute

VIC, Australia

my car started doing this since i converted to manual (2 days ago) booked it in at pedders today no way am i going to let it happen just coz my car looks fully sik dumped but suit urself... btw those bump stops dont last long ive got 1 not much left on it

Posted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:28 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

The factory diff nose bump stop is still available from ford, has been used in factory lowered fords since the XA, and has a part number starting with XA.

I have SL kings in my Eb ghia, and had issues with the tail shaft hitting the floor. Fit the diff nose bump stop & new bump stops on the shockers, solved the problem.

Go to ford & get the diff nose bump stop & get it installed quick smart! A tailshaft breaking at speed will cause serious issues!

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:50 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: NA Fairlane, DC LTD

NT, Australia

I have a similar issue.

It only started recently though...

Never had any squeaks untill after I loaded the car with our bags and blankets, drove to the fuel station and put in a full tank. All of a sudden my brakes start squeaking quietly but noticable. It was wierd but it stopped with brake application, so a mechanicate said it may be the pads or somthing.

Drove down here with no problems, and now, even unloaded, it has a brake squeak noise. Somtimes slightly louder but usually the same.
I was thinking maybe the extra weight put extra downforce on the car and made the wheel bearings compress or somthing wierd like that so the rotors were on a slight angle and made the squeak on the pads. But they (bearings) were put on nice, bedded in and all that. The rotors don't show signs o glazing, and they are slotted so the pads probably aren't either (although I haven't checked bendix CTs if you wonder)
And the noise originally started right after I put the full tank in it. (the maximum weight in the car overall)

Yesterday, I gave 2 blokes a ride (I had my tool box in the boot too) and it was full on "week week week week" squeaking.

Is it my brakes, or would you say to raise it 5 mm or so and see if it makes a difference .

[color=#004080]Cheers, Jacob.

NA Fairlane Build thread:
the-garage-f53/my-fairlane-build-lowlane-t94891.html.
Also in the garage....
AU LTD, DC LTD, and Lowlane.

Posted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:37 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Trailing arm bushes also help in keeping the tailshaft off the floor. I'd get them replaced too if they aren't already new.
The squeaking could be (long shot here) the handbrake. If the diff is moving to places it shouldn't be, maybe it is distorting the cable enough to apply the handbrake a touch.

EL Fairmont Ghia - Manual - Supercharged
- The Car
- The Headlights

Posted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:50 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: EF XR8 5sp

VIC, Australia

I had the same problem in my EA, check your trailing arm bushes. Mine were shagged and mines dumped on SSL's also.

Got to the point i had to drive it real careful with just me in it as the tailshaft would rub on the tunnel.

Posted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

Linkachu wrote:
I had the same problem in my EA, check your trailing arm bushes. Mine were shagged and mines dumped on SSL's also.

Got to the point i had to drive it real careful with just me in it as the tailshaft would rub on the tunnel.

Mine were new nolathane bushes & before the new bump stops, would rub the tailshaft on the floor! I do have a gas tank over the rear axle tho, that probably didn't help. Also running short stroke pedders comfort gas shocks.

Running std stroke shocks the tailshaft wouldn't rub, but the shocks would bottom out first.... Not good.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2