Fordmods Logo

tailshaft hitting/rubbin?? 

Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: tailshaft hitting/rubbin??
Posted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:31 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: NL Fairlane

QLD, Australia

my fairlane in on ssl all round n ever since ive had it lowerd the tailshaft rubbs only when i have a full car tho
doesnt bother me that much just wanna know wot i can do about it??
cheers

now has t5 manual conversion, 1521a cam, extractors, j3 etc :) the-garage-f53/nl-fairlane-t87847.html

Post subject: Re: tailshaft hitting/rubbin??
Posted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

Lift it back up....simple really....since SSL is illegal.

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:47 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

cjh wrote:
Lift it back up....simple really....since SSL is illegal.

thats silly if it was so illegal i think i would of been defected already been like this for the last 2 years and looked lower with the stockos on n still never got any cop attention

now has t5 manual conversion, 1521a cam, extractors, j3 etc :) the-garage-f53/nl-fairlane-t87847.html

Posted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: XH Ute / AU3 V8 Wagon

QLD, Australia

What he said ^^^^

If the shaft is rubbing, it is too low, no question. Plus, the tailshaft is a thin wall tube, only (approx) 3mm thick. It will not take too long to wear enough metal off it, even in one little spot, to weaken it, creating a very dangerous situation.
If the problem only occurs when fully loaded, maybe you need to think about load helping / towing airbags, if you do not want to raise it up.
Or, if you really want to get technical, you could fit a two-piece driveshaft, like a BA or Commode. The tube size is a lot smaller. Lot of work though....

Yes, I own a Ute. No, I won't help you move!

EL Wagon Build Thread http://www.fordmods.com/the-garage-f53/sooty72-s-ef-futura-wagon-long-term-project-t90025.html
XH Ute Thread http://www.fordmods.com/post1138970.html#p1138970

Posted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:26 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

sooty72 wrote:
What he said ^^^^

If the shaft is rubbing, it is too low, no question. Plus, the tailshaft is a thin wall tube, only (approx) 3mm thick. It will not take too long to wear enough metal off it, even in one little spot, to weaken it, creating a very dangerous situation.
If the problem only occurs when fully loaded, maybe you need to think about load helping / towing airbags, if you do not want to raise it up.
Or, if you really want to get technical, you could fit a two-piece driveshaft, like a BA or Commode. The tube size is a lot smaller. Lot of work though....

prob just gonna deal with it might be silly but if it breaks i wont be goin anywhere lol
my mates a mech n he fitted them and thers gotta be some ppl on here that have ssl in the rears n not have this prob cuz i havnt herd of anyone else havin this problem i seen a fairlane like mine on another ford site n he had compressed springs tucken 20's and didnt have that prob

my mates recons he might be able to angle the diff alil so it doesnt rub might give that a go one day

Posted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:51 am 
Getting Side Ways

ACT, Australia

Its real common, you obviously havnt paid much attention in the forums. Even stock XRs with a load in the back would do it.
You can use the XR control arms, which changes the pinion angle of the diff, but it only slightly helps.

Only other option is to bolt a rubber stopper to the floor near the diff snout area, and that will stop the driveshaft hitting the floor.

1993 ED XR6 5speed Polynesian Green. Project car.

1998 EL XR8 Auto Hot Chilli Red. New daily and project

Posted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: FG Ute, ED XR8 Sprint, GPZ900R

VIC, Australia

I had this problem, I had an EL fairmont 5 litre, 5 speed and it was slammed, used to tuck 19's. And me being the fully sick p plater at the time loved it but it always rubbed on the floor and I was a bit like you thinking yeah whatever. It came a time to replace my clutch and also rebuild by gearbox so the tailigshaft came out and what i seen horrorfied me. Not only had the tailshaft become quite worn but there wasn't alot of metal left on the floor before it wore through. And It had only been doing it for a few months. So i raised the car and put a few rubber bump stops along the shaft just in case. I thankfully grown out of those days and car ia also sold. However you really just need to raise your car, could cost you alot of cash or even an accident if you dont. You can use the Xr control arms but i used them to and made stuff all difference, just raise the car :)

The Past: EF Fairmont, EL Fairmont 5.0, HR Special, NF Fairlane 5.0, GSX 250-F, BA II XR8, VS3 Ute, VS2 L67 Calais

The Present: FG Egas Ute, ED XR8 Sprint, GPZ 900R

Posted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:31 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

Burns wrote:
I had this problem, I had an EL fairmont 5 litre, 5 speed and it was slammed, used to tuck 19's. And me being the fully sick p plater at the time loved it but it always rubbed on the floor and I was a bit like you thinking yeah whatever. It came a time to replace my clutch and also rebuild by gearbox so the tailigshaft came out and what i seen horrorfied me. Not only had the tailshaft become quite worn but there wasn't alot of metal left on the floor before it wore through. And It had only been doing it for a few months. So i raised the car and put a few rubber bump stops along the shaft just in case. I thankfully grown out of those days and car ia also sold. However you really just need to raise your car, could cost you alot of cash or even an accident if you dont. You can use the Xr control arms but i used them to and made stuff all difference, just raise the car :)

did it do it all the time or when u had a full car? cuz it only happens when i have a full car n thats only like 60% of the time i drive

Posted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: Envi EF

NSW, Australia

You need to have a crack at changing the diff angle - you need to tilt the front where the tailshaft bolts on, downwards.
I have an EF XR diff under the back of my EF, it is fitted with a diff bump stop and with a full car load it sits on this, but, its also pretty much tucking 18" rim.

>>>EF Futura T build<<<

Posted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:02 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

krisisdog wrote:
You need to have a crack at changing the diff angle - you need to tilt the front where the tailshaft bolts on, downwards.
I have an EF XR diff under the back of my EF, it is fitted with a diff bump stop and with a full car load it sits on this, but, its also pretty much tucking 18" rim.

awsome thanks for ya help so ya think i should get an xr diff/control arms n change the angle?
cheers for ya help mate
its not a real bother to me atm i should just get an lsd while im at it lol but i got bigger n better things to save for atm like bali in nov woop!
if worse comes to worse prob jus get rid of the lane for an xr6t ute 8-) then i dont have to deal with a full car load

Posted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: Envi EF

NSW, Australia

Something like that should help the problem.

>>>EF Futura T build<<<

Posted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

XR arms actually make the rubbing problem worse as they point the nose of the diff up to correct the angle.
It seems to be a trade off between tailshaft rubbing the floor or vibrations from bad uni angles.

Definitely fit the diff nose bump stop.

EL Fairmont Ghia - Manual - Supercharged
- The Car
- The Headlights

Posted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:01 pm 
Fordmods Addict

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Falcon

Power: 237 rwkw

VIC, Australia

krisisdog wrote:

if you do that you need to somehow tilt the trans up or you are going to end up with a serious mismatch in uni angles.

ED XR8 Sprint - S-Trim, V500, 249rwkw
BF MKII F6 Tornado - 237rwkw

Posted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:30 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

MAD wrote:
XR arms actually make the rubbing problem worse as they point the nose of the diff up to correct the angle.
It seems to be a trade off between tailshaft rubbing the floor or vibrations from bad uni angles.

Definitely fit the diff nose bump stop.

where do i buy these diff nose bump stops?

cheers for all the feedback fellas not sure wot ima do with it for now, prob jus deal with it n take it easy

Posted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

I'm pretty sure they are still available from Ford. I picked one up about a year ago.

EL Fairmont Ghia - Manual - Supercharged
- The Car
- The Headlights

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next