Fordmods Logo

Throwing her rear out 

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Post subject: Throwing her rear out
Posted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:18 am 
Smokin em up

TAS, Australia

any of you guys having the same problem , the lane is stepping out sideways to the right with wheel spin on the 1-2 shift , i know cars torque steer ,but trailing arm rear suspention normally does not do this to such a degree , all bushes nolathane and in new condition

you guys draging getting the same problem????

NC2 Fairlane AU2 Intech 4.0 Wolf V500 ECU Accel 500cc Injectors Eaton M90 Blower MPx Porting 75mm Mustang TB Intercooler Holley 255lph EL XR6 Rear End 3.45 LSD Duel Fuel lots more.
Long and Very Nice

Posted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:31 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ED V8

WA, Australia

Front wheel drivers torque steer. Rear wheel drivers step out due to wheel spin...... I know it's semantics, but not really the same thing. Torque steer is limited to FWD'rs.

On to the point at hand tho.......

If your both your wheels start to spin (as they should if your lane is fitted with a LSD centre) and there is no camber on the road at all and no steering input at all, then your car will most likely step out to the right.

It's normal.....you'll just need to deal with it! Just be thankful that your not getting shocking axle tramp as a lot of falcons do!

If you don't want it to do it, get off the loud pedal! :D

ED XR8 Spri-mitatio-nt

Posted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: FG XR8, F6 F6 ute, XR5T, Capri

WA, Australia

paul, chuck some 225 16" stockies on the rear, and just slam the accelerator down. nothing like spinning all of 2nd (when already rolling lol)

Posted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: EF Falcon

QLD, Australia

philaddis wrote:
If your both your wheels start to spin (as they should if your lane is fitted with a LSD centre) and there is no camber on the road at all and no steering input at all, then your car will most likely step out to the right.

why is that? i've never heard of that before

and to the question, buy better tyres or be nicer on the accelerator

Nicco's M112 Blown, T-56 equipped EF
forums/viewtopic.php?t=68319

Posted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:59 pm 
Smokin em up

TAS, Australia

interesting answers but the torque steer im talking about is the engine movement trying to lift the front left tyre of the ground pushing the right rear low , tyres are fine etc, what i was looking for is there any known suspesion settings or model changes that may be the problem or fix.

as far as backing off the loud pedal, thats not what i want to do, if anything lets go harder, by the way this stepout is at about 2 thirds throtle

NC2 Fairlane AU2 Intech 4.0 Wolf V500 ECU Accel 500cc Injectors Eaton M90 Blower MPx Porting 75mm Mustang TB Intercooler Holley 255lph EL XR6 Rear End 3.45 LSD Duel Fuel lots more.
Long and Very Nice

Posted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:55 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: BFII Turbo

Power: 253 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Quote:

thats utter bullshet. it should pull left if anything because of the watts linkages. they were designed to step left because of the predominantly left hand bends at bathurst, ie more control for the majority of the track.

its harder to get a falcon to step right than left. not impossible just harder.

enough isn't enough

Posted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ED V8

WA, Australia

More Grunt wrote:
thats utter bullshet. it should pull left if anything because of the watts linkages. they were designed to step left because of the predominantly left hand bends at bathurst, ie more control for the majority of the track.

its harder to get a falcon to step right than left. not impossible just harder.

Oh sorry Mr Aggressive..... but not too sure about that.... we may just have to agree to disagree I think.

Nothing to do with Bathurst tho.... that's ridiculous. It's not a sprint car for crying out loud. How many NC Fairlanes have you seen racing at Bathurst anyway?

Physics is physics...... It is all to do with rotation of drivetrain and torque.... I was merely saying that it is not referred to as 'torque steer' in a RWD'r.

It's not difficult to get the rear to step out to the right at all.... as soon as any right to left downward camber is on the road, or there is any LH down steering input, the rear will step out to the right.

ED XR8 Spri-mitatio-nt

Posted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: Envi EF

NSW, Australia

Normally the right wheel receives more power due to the rotation of the driveshaft and diff setup, in a SS diff.
I'd assume that it'd be the same in a LSD, but I dont know how this would contribute to the car stepping right all the time.

I have no problems kicking the back end of my car left or right, theres no difference in effort required.

>>>EF Futura T build<<<

Posted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:14 pm 
Fordmods Addict

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Falcon

Power: 237 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Theories on suspension geometry and rotational forces aside, they almost always kick right, in my experience.
This experience is gathered from many practical tests.

I don't understand the thread, if it's losing traction, what do you expect it to do?
Name any LSD equipped car in the world, if it loses traction generally it's going to kick one way or the other.

ED XR8 Sprint - S-Trim, V500, 249rwkw
BF MKII F6 Tornado - 237rwkw

Posted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:24 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

i have a manual ef falcon with a lsd. it kicked hard both ways when the lsd was fresh but now when turning right the inside wheel just wants to spin. lsd diffs stiil a crown wheel think of it as L - R 40% - 60 %. solve all problems mini spool. kicks both ways just as hard. and someone mentioned axle tramp, ive never had a problem with it, except in reverse

10WEF - nolathane everything, xr6 interior manual gearbox and computer(no speed limiter). pedders sports ryder, pacemakers, 2.5" exhaust, heavy clutch, mild cam. 18 inch rims 265 rear tires

made 175.5rwhp with speed limited auto
big cam nd tune well overdue

Posted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EL fairmont offroader

VIC, Australia

I don't think about this much, but i'll have a go.

I think the torque applied through the driveshaft to the rear axle presses the left rear into the ground more and lightens the right rear. This means the left rear gets more traction and the right rear gets less traction. Since the left rear is getting more drive, especially so after the right rear has broken static friction, there would be a slight effect of steering the car to the right.

If, however, the trailing link bushes were worn, there would be another effect whereby the extra drive on the left side would push the axle further forward on that side, effectively skewing the axle and creating a mild rear steering effect. This would skew the rear out to the right like a boat and thereby steer the car to the left. Since the bushes on the car are near-new nolathane this ought be insignificant.

If the watts link has perfect geometry it would not create a sideways effect. It's possible however, for instance, that they compromised on the lower body mount to reduce the chance of it hitting the ground. Any sideways effect created by the watts link would occur under rear squat, and would be increased by a hot motor and grippy tyres (more squat), and reduced by h/d coils and shocks (less squat).

wrecking 9/97 EL fairmont sedan burgundy 6cyl auto 270k modBAintake

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 11 posts ]