To minispool or not too 

Page 3 of 3 [ 37 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Posted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 07 BF mk2 E-gas wagon + eb 5.0

Power: 174 rwkw

SA, Australia

i have a minispooled 3.9 in the rear of my eb v8. i bought it like it. i bought it in sydney and drove it home. after reading through this thread i'm wondering how i made it home. apparently the diff has a mind of its own and will just spin the car around. talk about scare tactics.

yes i have a spool but i am looking at getting rid of it as i am sick of it. the car was nice and tight when i bought it (64000km) but now has clunks everywhere underneath. shocks are cactus, rubbers are no doubt all worn as well, not to mention the tyres. general driving you wouldn't know it was there but slow speed cornering (driveways, carparks etc) is where it gets annoying.

i've done u - turns in it in the wet and dry and no drama's. its all to do with the nut behind the wheel. this one (me) is always mindful of the diff and i drive accordingly. if you're into giving it a bootful in the wet then you don't need a spool to get into trouble.

eb v8: low loud and fast. just how a v8 should be. i guess the big question is, is it fast enough...

Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:29 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA XT, BA XR6T, ED Ghia 5.0

WA, Australia

Could someone explain to me the difference between a spool and a detroit locker? As far as I understand a spool is locking the two rear wheels together, does the locker allow them to spin somewhat independently? How does it differ to an lsd then?

What's the difference between a Holden and a sheep? It's less embarrasing getting out of the back of a sheep..

Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:46 am 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: EF II Fairmont Ghia

NSW, Australia

As far as I am aware a detroit locker only locks when power is applied through the rear axels, where as a minispool is perminantly locked.

Correct me if I am wrong

Current Rides:
VX SS Commodore

EF II Fairmont Ghia, stock as a rock.

Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:00 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 2000 Au wagon

NSW, Australia

Detroit Locker is the fully automatic locking traction differential that is well known for premium performance and dependable operation. It is the culmination of half a century in engineering development for original equipment and replacement applications. For light truck application, Detroit Locker is a proven performer.

Detroit Locker maximises traction by delivering 100% of the torque and power to both drive wheels. It is engineered to keep both wheels in a constant drive mode, yet has the ability to ‘unlock’ to permit necessary wheel speed differentiation. The Detroit Locker is ‘trouble free’ as it does not require service adjustments or special lubricants. Detroit Locker has more to offer.

hope this helps

Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:21 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EA svo turbo, ef Fairmontl

VIC, Australia

naughtyfalcon wrote:
yes yes,,very funny,,i would like all those on this site that are members of the emergency services to stand up,,and those that have been a fire fighter for 19 years to raise their hands....

how many here can say they have pulled dead people out of smashed cars,,out from a car smashed by a truck?

or seen a body burnt beyond recognition..come on lets see you..

while ever people insist on doing stupid things i will always advacate on behalf of those who do not condon this.

i have seen many lives ruined by people doing stupid things.

grow up people,life is short,death is final,don't be a statistic.

Just because he is installing a spool doesnt mean he kill himslef!!! i know people who have spools and drive safer and better than many people with "real tight L.S.D,s" or even single spinners for that matter!

And to whoever suggested that installing a tight L.S.D and says its still fun! a hoon with an lsd is just as deadly as one with a minispool!
well theres my 2 cents!

cheers!

R.I.P George.D.Gogas!!!
4.5.85 - 27.2.05

Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 2000 Au wagon

NSW, Australia

he may be lucky not to kill him self or others,,my point is why risk it in the first place..

Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

Well there's some choice language amoungst this lot hey...

Usually we clean up threads, instead of locking them. But im a lazy lazy man and the issue of spool diffs has been covered many a time.

Anyone thinks of a good reason to unlock it, PM me.

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Sort by  
 Page 3 of 3  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3