Fordmods Logo

to superlow or not to suerlow????? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: to superlow or not to suerlow?????
Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Ef Fairmont

NSW, Australia

might have some super low lovells for my ef i6 for a good price. I know I will have to replace the shocks aswell but it looks like the car has the original shocks/springs on it that it was given new in 1994 so that wont worry me.
My concern is that my Ef is a daily and a family car, in saying that my Mrs drives it every day ( and she cant drive for s**t) and I am worried about clearance issues on driveways/ speed humps etc. All the info I have found on the net tells me that even the spring companies state superlows are only for show use and not intended for road use, but I know they are used quite allot so the questions out there: is superlows too low for a daily?
The spec's on the car they will be going on is a stock Ef Fairmont i6 sitting on 215/60 R16's

Post subject: Re: to superlow or not to suerlow?????
Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:38 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

Lovells are a good spring but you need to consider a number of things,

1) Superlow will drop the car 50 - 60mm.
2) You will need a camber kit
3) You will need struts and shocks (low)
4) Wheel alignment
5) You will feel every bump in the road and not a great idea for the "Family Car"
6) Consider speed humps and gutters. If your wife is as bad a driver as you claim you will need another front bar sooner than later.
7) Super lows look great but drive up and down half the roads in Sydney and see how you feel after. I have superlows in mine as well as adjustable sway bars and while it handles good, every bump in the road is felt. The wagon is on Lovell lows and is a pleasure to ride in (it is also the Bosses Car).

Your call but for a family car .... NO..... and if you do get ready for the nagging about how it feels. :roll:

Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: ef falcon futura

Power: 154 rwkw

VIC, Australia

i have superlows in mine and while i was in melbourne there wasnt a problem, i could get around speed bumps, all the driveways i used were flat so i didnt have a problem. now ive moved out of the city i am going to have to raise the height to lows as i cant get in my driveway unless i reverse in on the perfect angle. cant get around some of the speed bumps, plus the roads are alot rougher out here.

ef futura, pacemakers, 2.5inch catback, k&n panel filter and 3.45 lsd. extractors/cat, ticky head, custom cam grind, t5. now onto cosmetics.

Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

agreed with above

family car or daily needs to be comfy.

i fitted 18's to my AU and had plans for lowered springs soon after. Ride was stiffer but learned to live with it, and then started to notice half a dozen squeeks & rattles............ thought the car was rooted from age wear & tear etc..

then pulled the mags off and fitted the original 16's again, forgot how much i missed the smooth ride, and magically 99% of the creaks, rattles, and groans disappeared instantly !!!

Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Ef Fairmont

NSW, Australia

I knew I could get an honest answer from you guys. Thank you. I did want lows but there is a bloke on here selling 4 super lows for $150 6 months old. Kind of had the money and the look of superlows is nice but my a** is more important. Yeah um, put it this way... My wife tried to do a 3 point turn on a steep single lane driveway. She couldnt get out in reverse so she ran the car into the wire fence a few times. I come home to find the front bumper of that car with scratches that went right though the plastic bumper. That was the last time I will ever buy a new car.
Missing my girl now. She is getting the tickford head put on now. Dropped it off this arvo. Thought if I am going to do something, do it right. Will run the stock reg and ecu for now and if I want more the change is easy. The thing is unbelievable. My favorite spot is the on ramp from Mulgoa rd to the M4, 2 lanes to 1 and 110 top speed makes a decent race. She is slow to pull but the speedo goes up fast. All that on a blown head gasket. Cant wait to see what happens with the new head.......
Hope I dont have to start using the Mrs for a taxi, will be a short marrage ending in either my death through sheer frustration or a heart attack after going through the 6th set of rims.
Got the Navara to try and get ready for pink slip, so really dont have the dosh anyway. The springs are bad, shocks not the best but its still drivable. Just floaty like Falcons are when you have a heavy foot. Will be doing them by next tax at the latest.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]