Too All Who Have Ultra Lows Upfront 

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Too All Who Have Ultra Lows Upfront
Posted: Sun May 21, 2006 9:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: ED Fairmont Ghia & EF XR8

VIC, Australia

Ok, just dropped the ED using pedders gas sports ryder struts and shocks and king spring superlows all round. My problem is that the front tyres sit a good half in in the wheel well and at the moment i am scrubbing out the tyres.

My question is, if i get the guards rolled will the tryes continue to scrub the guards or what? Eveyone i know that has fitted superlows to there car have the front tyres just below the guard, why the hell is mine under the guard. Everytime i go up a driveway on an angle it scrubs out something chronic. Possible cures for this problem would be much appreciated as i love the look of the car and dont really want to raise it but if i have too then i spose i have too.

cheers

Posted: Sun May 21, 2006 9:26 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 4 images

QLD, Australia

I'm not certain about this by any means but I noticed you have "ultra-lows" as the subject and yet you refer to what is fitted as "super-lows", as far as I know, ultras and supers are two different spring types with ultras being the lowest. Are you sure that your mates don't have supers and you have the ultras? If this isn't the case then I'd be looking your tyres and rims...are the profiles the same as your mates...maybe you have taller or wider tyres. Nevertheless, it'd be worth getting the guards rolled ASAP before the tyre grabs one of them and kinks it...*ouch*...chances of this happening increase with the angle of your drift...hmmm, caught VERY badly on my EF, big chunks out of tyre and a kinked guard!

Posted: Sun May 21, 2006 10:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Windza wrote:
I'm not certain about this by any means but I noticed you have "ultra-lows" as the subject and yet you refer to what is fitted as "super-lows", as far as I know, ultras and supers are two different spring types with ultras being the lowest. Are you sure that your mates don't have supers and you have the ultras? If this isn't the case then I'd be looking your tyres and rims...are the profiles the same as your mates...maybe you have taller or wider tyres. Nevertheless, it'd be worth getting the guards rolled ASAP before the tyre grabs one of them and kinks it...*ouch*...chances of this happening increase with the angle of your drift...hmmm, caught VERY badly on my EF, big chunks out of tyre and a kinked guard!

thanks for the reply, i have put ultra lows in the subject header as i deffinatly know that they drop the guard over the tyre but what im trying to work out is why mine with superlows lower than what i have seen around. yeh my mates are running the 235/40/18 (same as mine).

Posted: Sun May 21, 2006 10:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

ford got to mention too that the part no are super low part no's. the no's match the receipt and on the spring too.

Posted: Mon May 22, 2006 2:11 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: EL XR6

WA, Australia

Easy solution, get your guards rolled. I had s/l put in the front of mine a whileback and because my rims have a big offset even though they are supposedly a pre-au offset (ROH), the tyres grabbed the inside of the guard and bent it down when you took corners too fast. Had the guards rolled and at worst you just hear the tyres rub, but because there is no edge on the inside it does take chunks out of your tyres and more importantly won't kink your guard. BTW i got charged $100 for getting front two rolled.

5spd Heritage Green EL XR6. Wheels by ROH. Stereo by Clarion. Exhaust by Pacemaker & Lukey. Suspension by Whiteline, Durashock and K-Mac.

Posted: Mon May 22, 2006 8:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

sweet as, when i take corners at the moment it doesnt rub, which is surprising because there is a bee's d**k worth of clearence. it only scrubs when i angle the car up a driveway.

Posted: Mon May 22, 2006 8:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

also kingkezza did the paint crack at all when you got your guards rolled. if asked 2 panel beaters near work about it and the both said that the paint may crack as they lip the guard over. ive got a feeling the are saying this too cover their asses if they f**k it up.

cheers

Posted: Mon May 22, 2006 8:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

nannas_ed wrote:
also kingkezza did the paint crack at all when you got your guards rolled. if asked 2 panel beaters near work about it and the both said that the paint may crack as they lip the guard over. ive got a feeling the are saying this too cover their asses if they f**k it up.

cheers

Yes, they say this to partly cover their own a*ss if it does crack. The panel beater where i got mine done said it might crack but after he done it, it had only really flaked a little bit (on the very inside). In either case you won't be able to see where it has flaked/cracked because it'll be right on the inside of your guard.

5spd Heritage Green EL XR6. Wheels by ROH. Stereo by Clarion. Exhaust by Pacemaker & Lukey. Suspension by Whiteline, Durashock and K-Mac.

Posted: Mon May 22, 2006 9:38 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 4 images

QLD, Australia

Quote:
nannas_ed wrote:

cheers

Yes, they say this to partly cover their own a*ss if it does crack. The panel beater where i got mine done said it might crack but after he done it, it had only really flaked a little bit (on the very inside). In either case you won't be able to see where it has flaked/cracked because it'll be right on the inside of your guard.

It probably depends on how they "roll" the guard...theres a few different ways, some nasty, some quite good. The most common is a piece of pipe jammed between the guard and tyre and rolled back and forth...needless to say, not recommended although it will work. Another I have seen is to grind slots in the inner lip that the tyres foul on and bend the lip up flush with the panel. The recommended and best I have seen is with a tool specifically designed for rolling guards, it involves bolting an adjustable arm (with a poly roller on the end) to the wheel hub and gently applying pressure and rolling back and forth along the lip. If the adjustments are too aggressive the paint will crack...I have had all four guards rolled on my Fairlane and all the paint is intact without any cracking. As Kingkezza said, the worst thing that can happen is hearing the tyre rub a little on the rolled lip...very pleasant compared with the tyre grabbing a guard...!

Posted: Tue May 23, 2006 1:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 08 BF MK11 Fairmont Ghia

QLD, Australia

i had your problem 2 weeks ago kingkezza i got mine rolled now it just rubs a bit sund corners and i have superlows all round! i only got charged 80 bucks

Posted: Tue May 23, 2006 2:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

danbode wrote:
i had your problem 2 weeks ago kingkezza i got mine rolled now it just rubs a bit sund corners and i have superlows all round! i only got charged 80 bucks

Nice man $80 is a bargain :D Do you know how he rolled them? I know where i got mine done he had the proper guard roller, the one which bolts ont your hub. Worked like a treat, does such a pro job.

Posted: Tue May 23, 2006 5:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: EF Falcon XT-T

VIC, Australia

pedders sports ryder's struts have the spring seat situated lower then on other struts, thus the struts alone will provide lowering.
combined with the lowering from the superlows, you've ended up with a lot lower then most other ppl with superlows or even ultra lows :)

FALCN6 - EF GLi Turbo, 20" Rims, Air Bag Suspension, Straight LPG, 225rwkw
DTHWGN - EA GL Wagon, LTD Interior, Satin Black, 5.0, Turbo
RACER - EF Futura , 5.0, 5 Speed
PROJECT - 83 Thunderbird, Lowered, 18" Billet Wheels
DAILY - BA Fairmont Ghia 5.4 3V

Posted: Tue May 23, 2006 7:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 08 BF MK11 Fairmont Ghia

QLD, Australia

i think he just did it with a bit of bar and rolled the car forwards and back until it did the job.

Posted: Wed May 24, 2006 8:48 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: AU Tickford Fairmont 5.0

NSW, Australia

I have King Super lows all round on my car and dont have a issue but im only running 17" rims too and i have to be carefull when i go into drive ways as the tyres do scrub on the guards.

T402 ISX 500hp daily driver
98 AU Tickford Fairmont 5.0 175kw stocker....

"member of the wgaf club about 400m times"

Posted: Wed May 24, 2006 9:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Windza wrote:
Quote:
nannas_ed wrote:

cheers

It probably depends on how they "roll" the guard...theres a few different ways, some nasty, some quite good. The most common is a piece of pipe jammed between the guard and tyre and rolled back and forth...needless to say, not recommended although it will work. Another I have seen is to grind slots in the inner lip that the tyres foul on and bend the lip up flush with the panel. The recommended and best I have seen is with a tool specifically designed for rolling guards, it involves bolting an adjustable arm (with a poly roller on the end) to the wheel hub and gently applying pressure and rolling back and forth along the lip. If the adjustments are too aggressive the paint will crack...I have had all four guards rolled on my Fairlane and all the paint is intact without any cracking. As Kingkezza said, the worst thing that can happen is hearing the tyre rub a little on the rolled lip...very pleasant compared with the tyre grabbing a guard...!

well i went to 2 panel beaters near work and they both said they can do it. I asked how, they sad they just going to push it back with a hamer and dolly (wtf is a dolly???) Also they both quted me $150 to do both front guards.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next