Fordmods Logo

Took my car to Bob Jane T mart today! 

Page 2 of 3 [ 32 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Posted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 11:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: EL Fairmont

QLD, Australia

Why would a car naturally drift to the left unless it was designed/set up to do so? I dont know of many roads that sit higher in the middle either (noticeably anyway)

having a car that wanders right would suck.

too many rabbits in china

Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:11 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 2004 Mazda Tribute

This is the only car I've had that did it.

Any other car I have driven, on a flat straight road, stay straight.

This one always pulls over into the gutter after about 3 seconds of no-hand-on-wheel. requires contant pressure on the right hand side of the steering wheel to maintain a straight line.

Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 5:57 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: BA XR6 Turbo

NSW, Australia

I had tyre wear issues also but then took it somewhere else (used to go to BJ TMarts). They found that BJ's didn't do the tie-rod end up the last time I had it aligned. Cost me two new front tyres!

fast1

Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 8:50 pm 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

old_mate wrote:
Why would a car naturally drift to the left unless it was designed/set up to do so? I dont know of many roads that sit higher in the middle either (noticeably anyway)

having a car that wanders right would suck.

99% of all city roads camber to the left so that water runs into the gutters. To compensate for this ALL australian made cars have a setback where the right wheel sits slightly back from the left wheel. There will also be a slight castor difference left to right to keep the setback within spec and help the car pull to the right. If you drive mostly on the highway you should set the castor equal left to right.

Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 9:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: EL Fairmont

QLD, Australia

Bert, valid point about the water into the gutter, but im not sure that camber would be noticeable behind the wheel

Well, perhaps what i was told about cars pulling left is horse s**t, but every car i have driven has a tendancy to wander to the left slightly. Who knows?

too many rabbits in china

Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 2:04 am 
Getting Side Ways

ACT, Australia

Ever think the car is wandering to the left due to the road, and not the suspension tune, hense why all cars youve driven do it?

1993 ED XR6 5speed Polynesian Green. Project car.

1998 EL XR8 Auto Hot Chilli Red. New daily and project

Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 7:38 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: 1997 Falcon EL Gli/Sleeper

QLD, Australia

Well my EL Allignment is that good now that I can take my hands off the steering wheel for about 5 sec and she will just keep going straight ahead no matter what road were on

" In life their is never an Obligation just an Opportunity to..Own an awesome 1970 Ford Mach 1 Mustang! "

Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Territory TX AWD & AUII XLS EGAS

NSW, Australia

1 SLY 97EL wrote:
Well my EL Allignment is that good now that I can take my hands off the steering wheel for about 5 sec and she will just keep going straight ahead no matter what road were on

That's the same for my Territory ... except changing lanes on the M4 (west of Sydney) ... damn ridge in the middle of the damn road .... it's downright dangerous in any car.

Worse on my ute ... I need t put new shock in the front and new tyres (before I do my alignment) ... and get my steering tightened up. It's interesting with blown frotn shocks and sloppy steering with 235 wide tyres on Sydney's roads ... keeps me on my toes.

04 Territory TX AWD - Winter White - optioned up
06 Falcon BFII XLS ute EGAS - Winter White - EGA-54D Version 2

Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 11:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: BOXCAR (Not some sorry ass EF/EL

QLD, Australia

old_mate wrote:
Bert, valid point about the water into the gutter, but im not sure that camber would be noticeable behind the wheel

Well, perhaps what i was told about cars pulling left is horse s**t, but every car i have driven has a tendancy to wander to the left slightly. Who knows?
Doesnt take much camber on the road to make your car pull left. And yes that is the reason cars pull left. Fact of life. Live with it.

The artist formerly known as seton005 (and allegedly The_Murph).

When I was growing up, we were so poor we could'nt even afford to pay attention.

Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:11 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

QLD, Australia

No correct alignment should PULL to the left - the car should tend to gently wander off to the left over a reasonable distance - ie. let go of the wheel and on straight road it should take something like 15-20 seconds to reach the edge. I used to have constant hassles with how the "alignment" felt in my ED - and tyres wearing on the shoulders - until I fitted Bilsteins and now the alignment has to really be s**t for it to become a noticeable problem. Very surprising how much the shockies have affected the whole thing in that respect.

And no, what I'm talking about is NOT because the car was aligned when the shockies went in - I fitted them myself - didn't touch the alignment settings (put back same shims in same positions etc.) - and it felt instantly GREAT compared to before (KYB's came out for the Bilsteins to go in) - then I drove 4000 glorious km to Cairns and had the alignment done there simply because after having the front suspension apart I figured it should be done - and it felt more or less the same - perhaps a tad lighter.

I can also plow into water on the road and she tracks straight ahead - even if it's just one side in the water - and of course wind has NO effect on the car (previously, strong winds used to push the car all over the shop and water was real scary).

Sold the Greenmachine - now driving 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk.

Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:52 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: 1997 Falcon EL Gli/Sleeper

QLD, Australia

Greenmachine wrote:
No correct alignment should PULL to the left - the car should tend to gently wander off to the left over a reasonable distance - ie. let go of the wheel and on straight road it should take something like 15-20 seconds to reach the edge.

EXACTLY! :lol:

" In life their is never an Obligation just an Opportunity to..Own an awesome 1970 Ford Mach 1 Mustang! "

Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:20 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

In fact I'd go on to add that it will take quite a LOT of camber to make the "gentle wander" tendency get more than slightly worse.

Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 12:35 pm 
ACT Cruise Moderator

Ride: '06 BF GT-P

Power: 293 rwkw

ACT, Australia

Greenmachine wrote:
In fact I'd go on to add that it will take quite a LOT of camber to make the "gentle wander" tendency get more than slightly worse.

Yeah, but a little left toe out or right toe in will throw you off the road in no time :)

1998 DL LTD in Sparkling Burgundy, daily, 302W, stereo, slow
2006 BF GT-P in Ego, mods. Supercharged 5.8L all alloy modular

Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 12:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

f**k alignment will screw you in all sorts of ways - I'm talking about a good alignment in the context of people saying that it's "normal" for car to PULL left - which is not true if the alignment is done right.

And in addition to that I have discovered that real quality shockies make a massive difference to how alignment works.

Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 1:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: 03 BA Fairmont

QLD, Australia

second that, green machine, my shocks are totally shot, and at 100 k's keeping it pointing straight is like guiding a kayak through rapids. constant sucession of reactions and overreactions...

Regards,
Punnisher_42

Favorite Quotes:
"Sportwagon = homo-erotic wank-fest." - downingj

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 3  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next