Fordmods Logo

Torque Converter Clutch Lock-up 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: Torque Converter Clutch Lock-up
Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:48 pm 
Technical Contributor

Ride: EFII Sedan

QLD, Australia

Can anyone tell me if it would be safe to have the TCC rigged electrically to lock up whenever the car is in 3rd or 4th? (by monitoring S1 -S4 combinations).

I'm curious as to whether it would damage the "clutch" mechanism (however it works) if the car was to suddenly be floored, or the wheels locked up, gear changes... etc.

How exactly does it work mechanically?

Reason being, all of my driving is now 60-70k's now, so if this doesn't hurt the converter, why shouldn't it be done for better fuel economy, and less annoying slip during changes at higher speeds? :)

EF II Sedan
Ex Chaser, Dual Fuel (Impco LPG)
LSD High, 3.23, Black wheels, other shiny bits.

EB II Sedan <--- R.I.P. (Rest in pieces - gone to the wreckers for $50...... bargain!)

Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:05 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

I've had a manual overide in my wagon for some time now - about 9-12 mths, doesn't seem to have made the gearbox operation any worse.
I have accidently stalled the car a number of times, but again, seems to drive okay. I started off just having a pressbutton on the autoquad to engage TCC, but later included the cruise control on/off switch to make operation quicker.
I generally drive my car like a semi automatic, and I've found using the manual overide on the TCC to be a better mod than a shift kit. This works well going up a hill in drive without TCC locked - back to 3rd, engage TCC lock, gives so much better performance.
You should preferably disengage when downshifting or kick down, but gear changes with it on are rougher, but no more rougher than a shift kit. Upshifting is still smooth with TCC lock on.

All in all, I'd recommend having a play with it, as I've particularly found it good in the 55-70kmh range, when the conventional ECU TCC doesn't engage much at all.
Be aware that when you engage manual TCC lock, the ECU will not control lock at all, until the engine is shut down, and restarted.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:42 pm 
Technical Contributor

QLD, Australia

Hmm... sounds good then. Thanks for the reply.

I was going to take a trip to Jaycar in the next few days to get some LED's, and hook them up to all 7 solenoids to see how they behave during shifts. I want it be fully automatic in 3rd and 4th, which shouldn't be a problem (seems to be solely controlled by the combination of S1&2 for all 4 gears), but I need to know what S3 and 4 do, so i'm gonna have a tinker :)

Might make it disengage when the brake light is on, or if the throttle response it too quick etc etc. Just need to observe it a bit first.

If all goes well, I hope to do a docco on it.

Have you actually cut your TCC wire so the ecu will throw up a code when its switched from the ECU, or are you just piggybacking power to it? I want to be able to switch it between auto and manual without restarting, so i'll make it switch to a resistor when its on manual. Hopefully the ECU isn't fast enough to see the changeover - you'd think it would have some tolerance for small vibrations in wires that disconnect momentarily ;-)

EF II Sedan

EB II Sedan <--- R.I.P. (Rest in pieces - gone to the wreckers for $50...... bargain!)

Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:04 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

No problemo. I just tapped into terminal 11 (same for all E series except EF), as all you're doing is putting 12v on that line - tried a diode on the ECU line to isolate it, but still the same result. Must be a feedback as well I suspect. I just added an LED to indicate when the TCC was locked auto or manually.
Actually, that's a good idea to cancel it with the brake switch.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:52 pm 
Technical Contributor

QLD, Australia

This should do the trick to solve your restart problem. Just need to measure the resistance of the TCC solenoid and stick in an appropriate resistor. Could use a switch instead of a relay, and instead of the positive supply on the NO contact, it could be supplied by another relay controlled by the S1/2 logic. That way you could add the brake switch reset etc.

Attachments:
TCC.JPG
TCC.JPG [ 9.54 KiB | Viewed 1654 times ]

EF II Sedan

Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:56 pm 
Technical Contributor

QLD, Australia

PS: I REALLY need a cad program! MSPaint is murder...

EF II Sedan

Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:49 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Thanks dude.
EBGizmo wrote:
PS: I REALLY need a cad program! MSPaint is murder...
I use Paintshop pro 8, getting old but still good.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]