Fordmods Logo

Towing a trailer with superlows 

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Towing a trailer with superlows
Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 7:47 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: ebII

TAS, Australia

Hi all I have an ebII sedan and like most it is high in the rear and low in the front. I would like to lower the rear but I often tow a trailer with firewood or rubish etc. Does any tow with superlows or does it bottom out.
Thx Mal.. :P

Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 8:18 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: BA MkII XR6 Ute

VIC, Australia

I tow with 'Lows', no problems, you just have to be careful like you do with people in the car. Also depends on the trailer, a tandem is much nicer to tow with lowered springs then a single axle, but if it gets too low, a tandem isn't very good.

If you do drop it, you will get used to driving cautiously, especially with people in the car, driving with a trailer and low springs is no different, you just have to be cautious, aware and careful..

We'll keep our cow s**t in the country, you keep your bull s**t in the city.

Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 5:07 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

Check the height of the trailer as well... After you lower it, the joint between car and trailer will drop too.

Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 5:09 pm 
Technical Contributor

Ride: Ford Ef Futura

WA, Australia

Yeah I recently towed on Superlows, the back ended up like this \/ about about 30 degree angels

Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 6:12 pm 
NSW Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: TE50

NSW, Australia

I regularly tow with lovells lows in the a** or my car.. about 2 tonne as well.. steel car trailer and V12 XJS Jag race car.. the lovells are a better spring than the kings especially for towing as they are a progressive wound spring opposed to a static wound sping. Ie the prograssive spring is wound tight in it max load area and distributes the load among more coils. by comparison the lovells tow alot better than kings.. I've used both. get the lovells.. damn good for circuit work too..

I have a car.

Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon EB-s

WA, Australia

How much for the lovells, and do they do something about 40mm drop? I dont want superlows, but want lower than lows :S

The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 11:21 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 4 images

WA, Australia

dc_todd wrote:
the lovells are a better spring than the kings especially for towing as they are a progressive wound spring opposed to a static wound sping. Ie the prograssive spring is wound tight in it max load area and distributes the load among more coils. by comparison the lovells tow alot better than kings.. I've used both. get the lovells.. damn good for circuit work too..

Are you saying thar kings are not progressive in the rear? because they are. I tow 2 quad bikes with my car (superlows) and have no problems just as long as there is no speedbumps!

They say people don't believe in heroes anymore. Well damn them! You and me, Max, we're gonna give them back their heroes!

Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 12:23 am 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: ef xr falcon

NSW, Australia

i have EFxr with lovells sports lows front & rear,and tow 5.8 m h/cab boat
the trailor is pretty low ,which can cause probs with some driveways otherwise ok .
these lovels make guards sit about 1/2" above wheels ,with the boat they drop about 1/2",level with wheels.
there a nice drive and handle pretty well when giving it a bit (without boat offcourse). :)

Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 1:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EL Manual

VIC, Australia

It shouldn't really be a problem. Just distribute your load on the trailer so it doesn't push down too much on the rear.
IMO rule of thumb is if I can just lift it then it is ok.
Your shocks will have a bigger effect on how it tows.

Manual EL Gli.
Mods: Crow Stg3, Chiptorque Dynotune. Lukey Exhaust. DBA slotted rotors, EBC Pads. Whiteline Low Susp. EL GT Swaybars, ROH Envy 17 x235 wheels. Vehicle Datalogger Display V2.0,

Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:21 pm 
Technical Contributor

Ride: LS3 VF

WA, Australia

i towed 1600kgs regularly with my EA with superlows in the rear end.. never had a problem

Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 8:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 30 images

Ride: Blown XR8

VIC, Australia

I tow my Tradesmans trailer and jetski with Super-Super lows a fair bit.
Not heavy trailers, but still a tonne in the tradesmans (not really loaded up). Don't have a problem, car is actually more comfortable on the road!

Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 9:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: au xr8 & 5.0 eb

VIC, Australia

ive got an eb with lows in the rear but also on gas and towed a car trailor to yas (about 400k) then bought back a ea wagon on the trailor ive also got the short throw shocks in the rear but it hit the bump stops most the way back and must of over thrown the unis coz i choped out the rear uni and p****d oil out the rear seal on the auto and chopped out the extension housing bush so i would advise against it,so did i take out the low springs? lol i took off the tow ball no more towing for me but being real you can tow ok my old boat was fine but a big a** tandem with a car on it not good

Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 11:14 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: ebII

TAS, Australia

v8fordman351 wrote:
ive got an eb with lows in the rear but also on gas and towed a car trailor to yas (about 400k) then bought back a ea wagon on the trailor ive also got the short throw shocks in the rear but it hit the bump stops most the way back and must of over thrown the unis coz i choped out the rear uni and p****d oil out the rear seal on the auto and chopped out the extension housing bush so i would advise against it,so did i take out the low springs? lol i took off the tow ball no more towing for me but being real you can tow ok my old boat was fine but a big a** tandem with a car on it not good

No I dont tow tandems I use the work 4wd for that but i tow my box trailer heaps, thx for the advice
Mal.. :lol:

Post subject: Re: Towing a trailer with superlows
Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:54 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: EL

SA, Australia

[quote="wilbur"]Hi all I have an ebII sedan and like most it is high in the rear and low in the front. I would like to lower the rear but I often tow a trailer with firewood or rubish etc. Does any tow with superlows or does it bottom out.
Thx Mal.. :P[/quote][color=white][/color]

Post subject: Re: Towing a trailer with superlows
Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 7:00 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: EL

SA, Australia

[quote="AUELert"][quote="wilbur"]Hi all I have an ebII sedan and like most it is high in the rear and low in the front. I would like to lower the rear but I often tow a trailer with firewood or rubish etc. Does any tow with superlows or does it bottom out.
Thx Mal.. :P[/quote][color=white][/color][/quote]

I have a lowered EL Futura wagon with heavy-duty hitch fitted. I recently towed a car trailer on two trips loaded with a VK Berlina and a VP Senator. Had no problem except it spelled the end of the road for my head/gasket (ironic, huh). As long as the tongue load is no more than 120 kg, toing should be a cynch.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next