Fordmods Logo

Trans Flush or Service 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: Trans Flush or Service
Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:09 pm 
Technical Contributor

Ride: Ford EB II Falcon

SA, Australia

Hey guys i have had my car for over a year now and in this whole year the trans hasn't been flushed or serviced. I booked my car in to have it done tomorrow and they quoted me $155 for a Trans Service or $165 for a Full Trans Flush, the fluid is a browny sort of colour and its a 4sp Auto.

Question is should i go for a trans flush or a service? i was thinking service to get the filter and the gasket done ! but am open to your thoughts !

Thanks !
Peaandham

OLD CAR: EB II Falcon, Everglade Green, 250thous (Rough Guess), Wildcat Extractors, 2.5 Exhaust with Muffler + Hot Dog, 18 Inch Rodney Jane Mags, XH Snorkel, EA MPEFI Tubing !

NEW CAR: 1996 TE Magna...Mods Soon To Come

Post subject: Re: Trans Flush or Service
Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 27 images

Ride: 1995 EF Fairmont

New Zealand

peaandham wrote:
Question is should i go for a trans flush or a service? i was thinking service to get the filter and the gasket done ! but am open to your thoughts !

Are you saying that the trans flush is just the flush only? Doesn't include renewing the filter and gasket? Sorry if i read that wrong but it just sounds that way, plus the price is leading me to believe that as most of the prices i've seen mentioned in threads on here are around the $220-$300 mark for a full flush including replacement filter and gasket..

Im guessing the trans "service" is just drop the pan, replace filter and pan gasket and throw in some new oil to top it up?

I'd recommend a filter and gasket change with a fluid flush done to flush out all the old fluid inside the box so that way everything is fresh, especially if you are unaware of it's service history. Just dropping the pan to drain the oil and replace the filter and gasket is not going to get rid of all the old fluid inside the converter, etc so i reckon the full flush done with a new filter and gasket is the better way to do it :wink:

Money Talks, But All Mine Ever Says Is Goodbye
EF Fairmont - EFF111 Build Thread

Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:37 pm 
Technical Contributor

SA, Australia

Yes the full flush is only flushing the old fluid out and thats it, no filter or gasket change. Im not to concerned about the gear box in the long run because i want to have someone do me a manual conversion all i am after is a bit more peace of mind thats why i was wondering what would do me better just a flush or a service?

OLD CAR: EB II Falcon, Everglade Green, 250thous (Rough Guess), Wildcat Extractors, 2.5 Exhaust with Muffler + Hot Dog, 18 Inch Rodney Jane Mags, XH Snorkel, EA MPEFI Tubing !

Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

flush the whole thing and change the filter and gasket at the same time so you know its all good till you can get the manual conversion done, or if you wanna just do the filter and gasket its rather easy to do your self. and much cheaper

Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:55 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

im with KWIKXR on this 1

Do a full flush including knew filter and gasket and pan clean, do it once and do it properly.

Wanted Either Capri/Cortina/XY/XW/XR/XT with tough V8 stroker engine, auto, 9inch, upgraded brakes etc[/SIZE][/size][/color]

Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:13 pm 
Technical Contributor

SA, Australia

took it up to my new mechanics today and they quoted me $220 for the full flush with new gasket and filter so i thought it was a bargain so i dropped it down there and just picked it back up ! Also might head down to mitsubishi to get myself some new oil and get myself a new filter while im out

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]