Fordmods Logo

trans oil coolers 

 

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

 
 Post subject: trans oil coolers
Posted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 3:55 pm 
Fordmods Newbie
Offline

Age: 52

Posts: 13

Joined: 6th Apr 2006

Location: Brisbane
QLD, Australia

I am installing an trans oil cooler to EF wagon any hints I have all the bits just need a plan of attack

 

_________________

IronWorker

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 4:30 pm 
Fordmods Junkie
Offline
User avatar

Age: 38

Posts: 1000491

Joined: 6th Nov 2004

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AUXR6 HP With Ducati SupA Bike!

Location: Perth
WA, Australia

the bigger the better!


use the correct oil hose, and hose clamps

 

_________________

RIP SCOTT

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:17 am 
Oompa Loompa
Offline
User avatar

Age: 46

Posts: 46

Joined: 16th Dec 2004

Location: Frankston
VIC, Australia

bypass the radiator ...

why heat the oil more before you cool it?

 

_________________

The Car
The men who drove them

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:39 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 30

Posts: 1618

Joined: 12th May 2005

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: BA 3V Tunna

Location: S.E. Melbourne
VIC, Australia

where's the best place to get a trans cooler??
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:17 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 31

Posts: 11103

Joined: 15th Nov 2004

Ride: AU III XR8 Pursuit 250 ute

Location: Hobart
TAS, Australia

Shum's EL wrote:
where's the best place to get a trans cooler??


Most auto stores sell em.

 

_________________

Heaps of performance EF/L parts for sale, including supercharged VCT motor!

2002 Ford AU Series III Falcon XR8 Pursuit 250 ute - 5.6L of V8 Windsor!

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:22 am 
Fordmods Junkie
Offline
User avatar

Age: 38

Posts: 1000491

Joined: 6th Nov 2004

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AUXR6 HP With Ducati SupA Bike!

Location: Perth
WA, Australia

Shum's EL wrote:
where's the best place to get a trans cooler??


i have a EB/ED trans oil cooler i scored froma wreckers

u can buy much bigger units from auto stores

the bigger the cooler the better it cools the cooler the oil the longer the tranny lasts

i want to replace mine 1 day with a 2ft X1 ft :)

 

_________________

RIP SCOTT

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Tue May 02, 2006 9:22 pm 
Fordmods Newbie
Offline

Age: 52

Posts: 13

Joined: 6th Apr 2006

Location: Brisbane
QLD, Australia

Sorry to take so long to reply Been away
I was given my cooler by a friend, but most auto stores sell them, If you can get a stacked plate type ( looks like a mini radiator ) as opposed to a coiled tube type (looks like a snaked tube with fins attached ) they are approx 30% more efficient .I removed the nose cone on my EF and mounted it in front of the radiator.Works a treat. I towed a offroad camper trailer into NSW over the weekend and not a hint of overheating

 

_________________

IronWorker

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Tue May 02, 2006 10:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Posts: 6449

Joined: 11th Nov 2004

EFGTHO wrote:
bypass the radiator ...

why heat the oil more before you cool it?


your trans will run hotter then your engine. there is alot of heat generated the converter. (where the oil going to the cooler comes from.)

the oil cooler in the radiator is also on the cold side not the hot side.
(i am in no way am saying the the cold side is COLD to touch)

 

_________________

PERMANENTLY BANNED

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Wed May 03, 2006 10:39 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 54

Posts: 4102

Joined: 18th Nov 2004

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: PX2 Ranger 4x4 XLT Dual CAB

Location: Carrum Downs
VIC, Australia

tickford_6 wrote:
EFGTHO wrote:
bypass the radiator ...

why heat the oil more before you cool it?


your trans will run hotter then your engine. there is alot of heat generated the converter. (where the oil going to the cooler comes from.)

the oil cooler in the radiator is also on the cold side not the hot side.
(i am in no way am saying the the cold side is COLD to touch)


I agree, best to use both the radiator cooler & a trans cooler.

 

_________________

Image
She's meanness put to music and the b**ch is born to run!
Like the sign says, "speed's just a question of money. How fast can you go?"

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Wed May 03, 2006 10:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Posts: 6449

Joined: 11th Nov 2004

madmax wrote:
tickford_6 wrote:
EFGTHO wrote:
bypass the radiator ...

why heat the oil more before you cool it?


your trans will run hotter then your engine. there is alot of heat generated the converter. (where the oil going to the cooler comes from.)

the oil cooler in the radiator is also on the cold side not the hot side.
(i am in no way am saying the the cold side is COLD to touch)


I agree, best to use both the radiator cooler & a trans cooler.


in the right order . rad first oil cooler second. i have seen them the other way around befor

 

_________________

PERMANENTLY BANNED

Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:
Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 17 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

 

 

It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:59 am All times are UTC + 11 hours

 

 

(c)2014 Total Web Solutions Australia - Australian Web Hosting and Domain Names