Fordmods Logo

Trans or Torque Converter 

Page 4 of 4 [ 58 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 3:19 am 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EL falcon - Skyline r33

NSW, Australia

im gonna take mine very soon , probly to a tranny mechanic.

Tickford is right when he said this is where the internet help stops and you need to take actions.

Thanks for the replys.

It's set up like a deck of cards, They're sending us to early graves. For all the diamonds, they'll use a pair of clubs to beat the spades.

RATM

Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 8:46 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

tickford_6 wrote:
clutches are not slipping so that rules out worn clutches.

Are we sure of this? I was under the impression that a BTR auto had seperate clutch packs used in the downshifting between gears, which are also used when backing off the throttle in 1st, 2nd and 3rd to provide engine braking.

Taken from http://www.familycar.com/transmission.htm :

"A one-way clutch (also known as a "sprag" clutch) is a device that will allow a component such as ring gear to turn freely in one direction but not in the other. This effect is just like that of a bicycle, where the pedals will turn the wheel when pedaling forward, but will spin free when pedaling backward.

A common place where a one-way clutch is used is in first gear when the shifter is in the drive position. When you begin to accelerate from a stop, the transmission starts out in first gear. But have you ever noticed what happens if you release the gas while it is still in first gear? The vehicle continues to coast as if you were in neutral. Now, shift into Low gear instead of Drive. When you let go of the gas in this case, you will feel the engine slow you down just like a standard shift car. The reason for this is that in Drive, a one-way clutch is used whereas in Low, a clutch pack or a band is used."

The bit highlighted in bold appears to be what ThinkTank's transmission is NOT doing.

Anyways, spose its irrelevant... as stated, not really a problem to be diagnosed on the net and even if we could, repairing likely to be a big job.

Auto's are fascinating things. Gotta hate to love em.

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 12:39 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EL falcon - Skyline r33

NSW, Australia

yer what ever i do , ethier leave it in 1 or drive the gears will not hold the RPM up , it just goes into neutral.. Im thinking about meeting some of you guys , the sydney boyz soon.. when that happens ill let you drive my car so it can spin your mind out. :D

My car runs perfectly, but im so anal about everything its pathetic. I think its because ive just started to notice how ineresting a car really is when you want to know how it all works.

It's set up like a deck of cards, They're sending us to early graves. For all the diamonds, they'll use a pair of clubs to beat the spades.

RATM

Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 7:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

4.9 EF Futura wrote:
tickford_6 wrote:
clutches are not slipping so that rules out worn clutches.

Are we sure of this? I was under the impression that a BTR auto had seperate clutch packs used in the downshifting between gears, which are also used when backing off the throttle in 1st, 2nd and 3rd to provide engine braking.

Taken from http://www.familycar.com/transmission.htm :

"A one-way clutch (also known as a "sprag" clutch) is a device that will allow a component such as ring gear to turn freely in one direction but not in the other. This effect is just like that of a bicycle, where the pedals will turn the wheel when pedaling forward, but will spin free when pedaling backward.

A common place where a one-way clutch is used is in first gear when the shifter is in the drive position. When you begin to accelerate from a stop, the transmission starts out in first gear. But have you ever noticed what happens if you release the gas while it is still in first gear? The vehicle continues to coast as if you were in neutral. Now, shift into Low gear instead of Drive. When you let go of the gas in this case, you will feel the engine slow you down just like a standard shift car. The reason for this is that in Drive, a one-way clutch is used whereas in Low, a clutch pack or a band is used."

The bit highlighted in bold appears to be what ThinkTank's transmission is NOT doing.

Anyways, spose its irrelevant... as stated, not really a problem to be diagnosed on the net and even if we could, repairing likely to be a big job.

Auto's are fascinating things. Gotta hate to love em.

thats a good point and i do see your reasoning.

but there is no one way clutch on second gear. and we know thinktanks issue also happens in second. if there was a band/clutch problem there would be alot of noise/squeeling/shuddering and lack of drive while on the pedal in second gear.

so i still believe it's an electronic thing.
i could be wrong. and would like thinktank to get back to all about what is cause of it is when it's been looked at, so we all know

Posted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 10:24 am 
Fordmods Newbie

New Zealand

I see this is a bit out of date ,but my EB has just started doing this.
It used hold any selected gear down hill but now it just coasts.Its like a one clutch in the convertor.
Love to find out why.

Post subject: gearbox problems
Posted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 11:48 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Fairmont ED 1994

NSW, Australia

My Ed Fairmont does the same thing gearbox doesnt hold in a gear for engine braking purposes

ED Fairmont - Suspension mods
Planned mods include auto to manual conversion and stereo upgrade

Posted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 11:54 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 29 images

Ride: VU SS

NSW, Australia

Oi fellas try this.
Go to the steepest hill u can find. Lock it into 1st then get to about 50km/h.
Now back off and let the revs drop down to idle, and then floor it. It should spin up! Well I know mine does! It's sweet.

Ahhh, the fun the people with "normal" autos miss out on. :D

EF Fairmont now Sold!
Guides: Polishing|Modifications |Manual Conversion

Post subject: Re: Trans or Torque Converter
Posted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:21 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Ef fairmont 96

WA, Australia

hello i know this is an old thread but did anyone find the solution to this problem? my cars having the same problems as described. thanks

Posted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:44 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: BA XT V8

WA, Australia

wo, 7 and a half year thread mine :shock: :shock: :shock:

i think all these guys would have either moved on, or got different cars or atleast on a 3rd gearbox by now. :wink: 8-) :lol: :lol: .

BA XT V8. Ice Mint. 18" Speedys. XR6T LSD. Full Pacemaker twin 2 1/2inch Stainless Steel system. Custom CAI. Black XR interior with white trimming. Powerbond underdrive kit 25%.
13.65@102mph. 2800 hi-Stall.
230RWKW@5250 rpm. 625NM.

Posted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:28 am 
Parts Gopher

WA, Australia

yea no doubt but its worth a try. i didnt see the point in opening a new thread when theres allready 1. :)

Posted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:33 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

Just leave it in drive. Unless you want to have a play, then this problem turns into great fun. Your mates will be quite impressed when you come to a roundabout, drop it back to first, coast in at idle then stand on the gas and drift out. Also great in the wet, cruise along in second at about 80, back off, then plant it. Instant fishtail action.
My trans now has almost 600,000km of very hard driving on it, has been serviced once (at 450,000) spent half its life towing a bike trailer, and has had this exact problem since around 480,000km.
Has just started flairing slightly between second and third at full throttle, but that may be due to the 5700rpm shift point and extra 70 odd killer-watts i've added, but the 6000rpm rev limmiter stops it.
These transmissions are great. You can't kill em!

Ported ED XR6 head shaved too much, AU gasket, custom Crow Cam, Pacemaker 4480's, 5-speed conversion, billet aluminium flywheel, GT clutch, T.I. Performance J3 chip, custom water/methanol injection, modified BA throttle body. Paint&Panel by Barbed Wire Fence.

Posted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: BA XT V8

WA, Australia

my last gearbox would say otherwise... well the chunks of gears in the pan anyways.

but im probly pushing alot more torque thru mine.

btw original box gave up at 170,000.

BA XT V8. Ice Mint. 18" Speedys. XR6T LSD. Full Pacemaker twin 2 1/2inch Stainless Steel system. Custom CAI. Black XR interior with white trimming. Powerbond underdrive kit 25%.
13.65@102mph. 2800 hi-Stall.
230RWKW@5250 rpm. 625NM.

Posted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:18 am 
Parts Gopher

WA, Australia

mine too flares between 2nd and 3rd cars got 240,000 ish on the clock i mean if anyone knows the cause of the problem please tell as id rather fix it. only things i could think of is the S5 solenoid or the torque converter?

Sort by  
 Page 4 of 4  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4