Fordmods Logo

Transmission fluid reading, not showing? wtf.. 

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Post subject: Transmission fluid reading, not showing? wtf..
Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:26 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 1992 Ford Eb Series 2

Ive got a 92 ford eb transmission that has been in my ford el without any problems for a while now..but lately its been slipping and such..accelerate and just revs then the gear all of a sudden grabs the gear then the wheels chirp without meaning to..Ive tried to top up the fluid in park..but i cant even get a bloody reading!..sometimes it will have fluid on the dipstick sitting on the word ''cold'' then next it will be half way up the dipstick on ''add 0.5 litres'' ..so i cracked it and filled it up with 500ML of fluid cause i cant get a reading..anyone know how to get a bloody reading? i cant top it up if it wont even show :\ lol...Thanks..need the car runnin good asap

Post subject: Re: Transmission fluid reading, not showing? wtf..
Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:31 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

are you checking it while the engine is running while warm??

Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AU Fairmont Ghia

SA, Australia

I ALWAYS check the trans level after the car has been for a run and she's nice and warm. Park her up then I'll put her in Reverse - Neutral - Drive - 3 - 2 - 1 slowly, then back up into park and check the level with the engine running. Maybe a bit of overkill, but I started out with the old school GMH Traumatics (Trimatic) and C4 three speeds and that's how I was taught to do it.

dc_todd wrote:
Cheap pads squeal like cheap hookers, and you can take that to the bank.

Au Fairmont Ghia
My (Old) 95 EF Wagon

Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:42 pm 
Stock as a Rock

yup checking it when its in Park and running, both cold & warm lol..i even have tried what stevens done..its like the dam fluid doesnt want to stick to the dipstick and be nice to me..it just wants to sheet me up the wall instead lol

Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:04 pm 

NSW, Australia

just keep adding fluid untill it shows on the dip stick, free reving in gear before it starts moving is from low fluid

Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

i remember on my vp commodore that it had a cold reading, and a hot reading on the dipstick,but the owners manual only said to check when hot, wipe the stick clean, go from P-R-N-D-3-2-1 and then back up again to neutral or park, then check altho you will get odd readings, i always seemed toget odd readings on all 4 of my auto cars ive owned

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:15 pm 
Stock as a Rock

free reving in gear before it starts moving is from low fluid
????.. You mean put it in drive with foot on the brake and rev it a little?..or just park or neutral & rev it..

Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:54 pm 

NSW, Australia

FordEb'L'unatic wrote:
????.. You mean put it in drive with foot on the brake and rev it a little?..or just park or neutral & rev it..

no, if its not showing on the dipstick and is free reving before it starts moving,it needs more fluid..
just put more fluid in it...

Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
FordEb'L'unatic wrote:

no, if its not showing on the dipstick and is free reving before it starts moving,it needs more fluid..
just put more fluid in it...

funny story, on my Ls when i did my first btr service on my mont, i knew that id need another litre just to top the trans up but it drove fine so far around my dads d**k, so we decided to take it into town for a drive(20 minutes to the closest place that sold trans fluid).

so i go to the big W car park and as i pulled in it neutralised, and because my foot was already on the throttle it reved and just before i had time to back off it went back into first, L plater spinning up the car park didnt go down very well with anyone in the area, me and my dad found it halarious anyway :lol:

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:40 pm 
Stock as a Rock

ah yup thanks troy ill give that a try tomorow, the automatic place also recomended that..but i cant drive the dam thing cuz the rear window is shattered lol..was supposed to get fixed but the guy didnt come >_< now i gotta wait till tomorow..and its the only car ive got to drive after tomorow! >:( dam lol thanks for the help tho

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]