Transmission probs 

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Post subject: Transmission probs
Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:47 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EL Fairmont Ghiaaaaa!

VIC, Australia

Hey y'all got a question! I recently changed the fluid in my trans (4spd BTR) flushed it and filled it up. Its definatly a lot smoother changing into 4th but if I'm on more than say 3/4 throttle it still slams into 4th? The bigger issue is occasionaly (usually roundabouts) when im on the throttle, back off and throttle on again it goes into what seems like neutral for a second or 2 then changes up, but this morning leaving work i stopped to turn out of the car park, went to go and it just revved, i moved it into 3rd and it still just revved, did ito for maybe 5 or so seconds and then just went into gear and off i went never to have any more trouble! Any idea what may have caused it? The fluid that was in the box before i changed it was pretty much black, could that have done some damage?

all in all, how likley is it that my box is majorly f**k?

cheers!

Whiteline'd

Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

Did you change the filter in the auto?
And when you flushed it, did you run it through the gears, with the wheels off the ground, so as to flush it, then let it pump out the top fitting in the radiator?

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:26 pm 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

cjh wrote:
And when you flushed it, did you run it through the gears, with the wheels off the ground, so as to flush it, then let it pump out the top fitting in the radiator?

I got my mrs dad whos mechanic to do it and the filter wasnt changed and we didn't run it through the gears, just turned the motor on and let it run when we flushed it

Whiteline'd

Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

SA, Australia

my guess is you haven't put enough fluid back in.

Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas

Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Adam_Legs11 wrote:
cjh wrote:

I got my mrs dad whos mechanic to do it and the filter wasnt changed and we didn't run it through the gears, just turned the motor on and let it run when we flushed it

Well, that wouldn't do diddly squat. It takes about 5 go's to flush it, using about 3.5lts each time. You have to run it through the gears, several times up & down for about 3 to 5 mins. This puts the ATF through the clutch packs and servo's, the valve body & solenoids, and the torque convertor. This is how its done when you don't have a proper flushing machine which will use 20 to 30lts of ATF anyway.

Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

The fluid level must be rechecked when cool, so as to top up to the hole.

Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:55 pm 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

Okay thanks a bunch, we did run it through after maybe 1-2L of fluid rather than just all in. Ill have a talk to him on the weekend and hopefully we will be able to fix it up!

Cheers

Whiteline'd

Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:41 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EL fairmont

NSW, Australia

I had the exact same probs with my EL fairmont this arvo, it would slip outta gear, then back in witha thud, and is slamming in bad, but only at lower revvs.

so what fluids do i use on the EL fairmont auto box?

Or any got an idea of how much it costs for a complete flush and filter done professionaly?

or whats the best DIY procedure to do it? and what will i need, eg what filter, and anything else.

What ever.

Post subject: Re: Transmission probs
Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:38 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: 2010 g6e turbo

SA, Australia

Adam_Legs11 wrote:
Hey y'all got a question! I recently changed the fluid in my trans (4spd BTR) flushed it and filled it up. Its definatly a lot smoother changing into 4th but if I'm on more than say 3/4 throttle it still slams into 4th? The bigger issue is occasionaly (usually roundabouts) when im on the throttle, back off and throttle on again it goes into what seems like neutral for a second or 2 then changes up, but this morning leaving work i stopped to turn out of the car park, went to go and it just revved, i moved it into 3rd and it still just revved, did ito for maybe 5 or so seconds and then just went into gear and off i went never to have any more trouble! Any idea what may have caused it? The fluid that was in the box before i changed it was pretty much black, could that have done some damage?

all in all, how likley is it that my box is majorly f**k?

cheers!

i had the exact same symptoms as you describe, unfortunately within 2 days of the first slip the tranny fully shat itself. it happened on my way to work in peak traffic, after sitting there for ten minutes causing traffic chaos i started the car again put it in drive and to my suprise it moved. however this was short lived as it only travelled about 300 meters before it started to do nothing but slip, once again i parked turned it off waited a minute statred it again and got the same result, about 300 meters. i continued this repeatedly (5 or 6 times) until i got to work. after getting a tow to a trans speciallist they stripped the box and informed me that a clutch pack had s**t itself and they could do the basic repar for about $1500 or a total recon for $2300 (v8 trans 6cyl probally cheaper) unfortunately i went the recon and parted with my cash,dont get me wrong the trans is great just like a new one but had i given it a bit more thought i definetly would have done the conversion to a 5 speed and probally still got change. goodluck by the way how many K's has it done mine had 220,000

2010 G6E TURBO

Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:13 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: EF

VIC, Australia

thats the EXACT thing that happened to me 43 days ago.

died peak hour, 7 start 300>400m runs and i got home, cursing the whole way. now it has NO gears when started, i chucked in some fluid i had on the car hold, and still no gears just a really loud rattling.

meh T5 gets the go ahead now.
hope your situation ends better than mine.

latest mod: A Service
MY BUILD THREAD

Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Use only 4sp auto tranny fluid to suit Fords. eg Castrol TQ95, Penrite LE95, Valvoline LE95 etc.....These are specified for the Ford 4sp auto trannys. The old DEX II/III fluid will turn to sludge.

Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:14 am 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

cjh wrote:
Use only 4sp auto tranny fluid to suit Fords. eg Castrol TQ95, Penrite LE95, Valvoline LE95 etc.....These are specified for the Ford 4sp auto trannys. The old DEX II/III fluid will turn to sludge.

Just booked my car into the nearest/only transmission place around, its gunna cost 275, but thats 20 liters of TQ95 and filter and seals as well!

The guy said most likely cause of my problem is an electric thing, easy fix.

So will do a tell all of how it goes.

What ever.

Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 12:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

J_flemo wrote:
cjh wrote:

Just booked my car into the nearest/only transmission place around, its gunna cost 275, but thats 20 liters of TQ95 and filter and seals as well!

The guy said most likely cause of my problem is an electric thing, easy fix.

So will do a tell all of how it goes.

The electric thing that may be the problem, is the Nuetral start switch. They play up when the seals in it perish and let moisture in.

Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 1:36 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

so anyways, whats so special about the TQ95? i understand its very specificaly designed for this auto box. but what makes it so different specificaly?

and anyone had the auto done with it? and noticed a difference?

What ever.

Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

J_flemo wrote:
so anyways, whats so special about the TQ95? i understand its very specificaly designed for this auto box. but what makes it so different specificaly?

and anyone had the auto done with it? and noticed a difference?

The 4sp auto slpis more when changing, to smooth out the changes, as well as the electronics doing there bit too. So the fluid is specially for them.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 15 posts ]