Fordmods Logo

transmission vibration 

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: transmission vibration
Posted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:16 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: ford ef

QLD, Australia

My EF when under load will accelerate to 2,500 rpm then start to vibrate and the engine loads up but the revs struggle to rise till about 2,900rpm then it accelerates normally. The engine doesn't miss and transmission is smooth the rest of the time. It will do this in all gears. Any ideas please.

Post subject: Re: transmission vibration
Posted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Ride: AU2 XR8 ute & 91 EA bitsa

VIC, Australia

Just guessing, but what's the condition of your tailshaft & uni joints? A bent, or out of balance tail shaft could cause vibrations.

AU2 XR8 with Raptor VL, ported Yella Terra GT40P heads, Scorpion 1.6 RRs, XE264HR-14 Comp Cam, ceramic coated Hurricane Headers, 60lb injectors, Walbro 255, 200cfi cats, 3" exhaust & Snow Performance water methanol injection

Posted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:22 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

No problem with the rest of the drive. Is there any senders that might not be working properly that you could think of? Just has me confused that the rpm is the same every time I try it.

Posted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:12 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: 96 EFII Futura Stock as a

VIC, Australia

Similar problem here mate, am gonna keep an eye on this thread. Also gonna get the car checked out on Monday hopefully and find out what's wrong with it.

Posted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:51 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: BF F6 Typhoon. XP Van.XF Hearse

NSW, Australia

Check how much play the rear extension housing bush has where the the tailshaft yolk goes in - It is very common for the original white-metal bush to flog out. Replace it with an aftermarket bronze bush.

Posted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:26 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Ride: AU2 XR8 ute & 91 EA bitsa

VIC, Australia

What about the torque converter? 2500rpm sounds like the revs it starts working.

AU2 XR8 with Raptor VL, ported Yella Terra GT40P heads, Scorpion 1.6 RRs, XE264HR-14 Comp Cam, ceramic coated Hurricane Headers, 60lb injectors, Walbro 255, 200cfi cats, 3" exhaust & Snow Performance water methanol injection

Posted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:45 am 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

Couldn't find anything wrong mechanically. But the feeling of someone pulling the handbrake on then releasing it as the revs reach 2,900 is the strangest part.

Posted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:23 am 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

Spotted the post suggesting the torque converter. I would have thought a slip and over reving would show up.Amy I missing something you ment about the converter?

Posted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:05 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

xpvanman wrote:
Check how much play the rear extension housing bush has where the the tailshaft yolk goes in - It is very common for the original white-metal bush to flog out. Replace it with an aftermarket bronze bush.

This would seem very likely on my car. I know the rear seal is stuffed as there is oil leaking constantly and it is splashed all under the car and greasy. My bet would be this is the culprit in my case.

Posted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: SF5 Forester

NSW, Australia

check ya driveline thinking it is either a weak uni joint or possible gearbox mount?

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Posted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

Have you checked the oil level and condition of the oil in the tranny????????????????

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:34 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

cjh wrote:
Have you checked the oil level and condition of the oil in the tranny????????????????

Oil and filter have been changed about a month ago by Ultratune when they did a trans service. They didn't say anything about any leaks even tho these are plainly visible under the car. I'm taking it back to them and telling them to fix it. My guess is the new oil isn't as thick as the old and it's leaking more and stuffed something else in the process. Here's a pic of the seal that's leaking. It's made a mess under the car.

Attachments:
transeal.jpg
transeal.jpg [ 124 KiB | Viewed 175 times ]

Posted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

insomniac wrote:
cjh wrote:

Oil and filter have been changed about a month ago by Ultratune when they did a trans service. They didn't say anything about any leaks even tho these are plainly visible under the car. I'm taking it back to them and telling them to fix it. My guess is the new oil isn't as thick as the old and it's leaking more and stuffed something else in the process. Here's a pic of the seal that's leaking. It's made a mess under the car.

That mess has been there quite some time. A couple of other things to check....slip yoke bush, and the welsh plug in the slip yoke itself. I was sealing those welsh plugs under warranty over 10 yrs ago.

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: 2009 FG XR6 Sedan

VIC, Australia

First you have to see if its speed or rev related. This will determine engine or driveline. If in neutral and it vibrates at 2500rpm it may be the harmonic balancer or something else from there back out of balance. If it vibrates at certain speeds its driveline imbalance. If it vibrates constantly over 80km/h its universal joints. Now looking at your pic you do have a leak from the extension housing seal. The slip yoke welsh plug is fine as its dry around the UJ. I would firstly replace the bush and the extension housing seal and while the driveshaft is out check the UJ's for wear. They should move freely with no torsional play. Its more than likely that the extension housing bush is worn allowing the driveshaft to spin of centre causing imbalance and therefore vibration.

Posted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:13 am 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

Thanks for the info guys, I don't know much about this stuff and whether I could do it myself. The gearbox oil has been leaking a while and was so low it kept slipping out of gear sometimes, hence getting it serviced at Ultratune.

The vibrations have stopped. They only appeared after the front of the car was jacked up for a prolonged period of time, after the car was back on level ground and stayed that way overnight it was fine the next day. The vibrations I felt were when the car was just coasting along in drive or reverse, it would seem to shudder every now and then, but when pushing it a bit harder and on the gas it would constantly vibrate. In nuetral the vibration went away even with the car travelling at slow speeds or speeds of 60-80km/h.

I think Ultratune have some type of satisfaction policy or work guarantee, so I'm gonan take it back and see what they say. Also gona take it in to pedders for a 28pt safety check to make sure it's not suspension issues.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next