Fordmods Logo

TRUE TRAK diff centres? 

Page 4 of 5 [ 74 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post subject: Re: TRUE TRAK diff centres?
Posted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU2 Ute

VIC, Australia

Have a read of Rollin's Guide to driving with a lokka Tim. Might help a bit.

http://www.boostedfalcon.net/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1463

Posted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:54 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Beat ya to it mate...

He doesn't explain how to avoid this big jerk I get part way round the corner... Starting to think the thing really isn't practical for a daily... Great concept... Would be brilliant in the front diff in a 4WD or a car used on the track...

I'll look into the one with the synchros in it and see where they are made for our diffs or not... I drove through the woolies carpark for the first time today... Talk about strange looks and embarrassing feeling... :( I know its meant to do that... Everyone else probably just thinks the car is a piece of s**t... :?

Worst part is not being able to accelerate out of any corners if you want the tyres to last I've found... the quicker your going the easier it unlocks obviously, so first gear is a very slow gear... just would be better too if it didn't lock so easier...

Maybe its me, maybe this is just how they are... But so far driving with this thing has been more hassles than pleasure... I wanted something that felt positive coming out of corners during spirited driving, but something that you could "mildly" drive around in like a SS diff... Might be an impossible quest... Will wait and see...

Admittedly I am getting better with driving the Lokka...

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Do you think you will leave it in?

Im still in 2 minds about getting one. My car isnt really a daily but I dont want it to be uncomfortable either.

Posted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:14 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

If you had a lot of power and struggled to get it to the ground, this would be go for sure... It would help hook up 100% esp cornering when you get body roll and it starts to unload the inside tyre... When your feeding it it keeps the wheels locked and drives out of the corner beautiful...

If you were using it to take a girl on a first date, might end up not getting a second because she'd think you're a s**t house driver... Unless you rode the clutch every corner and drove like grandma... And you'd have to explain the noise... :?

I've been asking Brett some questions (67RCE) and he has been helpful because he has one and swears by it, again not in a daily either I don't think...

Honnestly the more I think about it the revised, newer version, from the states sounds to be the go... if they get back to me about it I'll weigh up the options... The states version seems to be around the $500 to $600 mark, so very similar to the lokka's here... Just need to know if they make to suit our diffs...

I think I could maybe get it to a point of not being unfortable, but it want to unlock you can't accelerate through a corner, definitely not in first anyway...

Wouldn't even hesitate in an auto, these things would be trouble free... Noise will still be obviously... But the backlash wouldn't be a problem...

Each to their own... Just providing you with my thoughts mate... Your call what you do at the end of day...

Cheers,
Tim

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster

Posted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1993 EB XR8

QLD, Australia

Tim,

I had mine in my AU for a year as a daily, and as soon as I have it rego'ed again (Thursday) It will be my daily again. It was awkward for the first few days, but after a week I got the hang of it, and it is now quite easy to live with.

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:44 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

This here was just brought to my attention too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZmsY2YvVsc&feature=fvw

Some worded explanation would have been helpful... But its an insight none the less...

Cheers,
Tim

Posted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:02 am 
ACT Cruise Moderator

Ride: '06 BF GT-P

Power: 293 rwkw

ACT, Australia

Having had a chance to have a play with the new diff today, must say I'm impressed.

Where as a full locker will give you push (under steer) mid/exiting corner due to the fact it'll be pushing both wheels at the same speed. The TrueTrac, behaves more like an open diff, until there's slip, where the inner wheel is locked to the centre (instead of spinning up as it's under less load), and the outer wheel can continue to spin quicker - resulting more grip as both wheels are still getting drive, yet the slower moving inner wheel isn't being forced to spin at the faster rate of the outside wheel.

In short I see this reducing my lap times, as I can get back on the loud pedal sooner in the corner, without excess under steer. :twisted:

1998 DL LTD in Sparkling Burgundy, daily, 302W, stereo, slow
2006 BF GT-P in Ego, mods. Supercharged 5.8L all alloy modular

Posted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:08 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

In saying that, with a Lockright, it exists the corner like a race car when it locks up... Feels great, but like you said you do need to hang onto the wheel a bit harder... And probably isn't doing tires any favours...

So you'd agree the true trak is virtually a clutchless LSD? It may not be that bad of an option... If I ended up getting one of them, because it needs setting up I'd get 3.45 gears put in all at once...

Does anybody know whether the cheaper models in the US suit our diffs? They have a couple listed... Our diff's are 8.8 inch aren't they (E series diff that is)?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/DTL-912A562/
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/DTL-912A563/

Both of these are listed as the same specs... Anybody here know any better?

Cheers,
Tim

Posted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:13 pm 
Fordmods Addict

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Falcon

Power: 237 rwkw

VIC, Australia

our diffs aren't the 8.8.
look for "GM 9 Bolt" or 7.75" in the US, there isn't alot of parts because it was fairly uncommon.
came in 3rd gen f bodies (camaros and firebirds), but apparently when they broke the GMPP replacement was a dana.

ED XR8 Sprint - S-Trim, V500, 249rwkw
BF MKII F6 Tornado - 237rwkw

Posted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:22 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

ahhh...

Slightly confused... But I'll see what I can't find anyway...

Can a Tru trak be bought for out std diff's in aussie land? The only ones I've dug up on here suit our diff but was a 31 spline for billet axles...

Cheers,
Tim

Posted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Summit doesnt list anything for a 9 bolt or 7.75 inch diff. :(

Posted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:06 pm 
ACT Cruise Moderator

ACT, Australia

Give Harrop a call they're the Aussie disty. They'd know if they make them or not.

Posted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Harrop does them for like $1540 or so. Scaffy put one in his car.

It doesnt look like there is an off the shelf cheaper alternative from the US though.

Posted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:15 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Yeah... Was that the 31 splined one I saw or the 28 spline one to suit std axles?

Just might need a part number and email summit and say this fits... Can we please have one cheap? :? Just for the sake of having an idea...

Super dear in aussie land... Still gotta get it fitted on top of that... Thats gotta be talking close to, if not over the 2k mark all up... For a clutchless LSD essentially... :? Seems a tad dear for the average guy... Like me... I don't have a spare 2k to spend on a diff...

Will see what works out anyway...

Cheers,
Tim

Posted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:18 pm 
ACT Cruise Moderator

ACT, Australia

The Harrop ones are actually better than those Eaton (US) make.

They're good for 500rwkw, rather than 500rwhp (370rwkw). All billet construction, instead of cast.

But yeah it comes at a price.

Sort by  
 Page 4 of 5  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next