Fordmods Logo

Tyre Sizes on EF 

 

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

 
 Post subject: Tyre Sizes on EF
Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 1552

Joined: 26th Oct 2005

Ride: Falcon

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

Hey guys, i was wondering what type of tyre sizes you have on your cars. im thinking of getting 235's or 245's on 17"x8" wheels, but not sure if they are too wide or not.

Has anyone used different combinations like 235's at front and 245's at back?

Would i need to do any modifcations to the guards or anything?

any info will be appreciated.. thanks

 

_________________

SIGNATURE REMOVED - REFER TO FORUM GUIDELINES!

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 37

Posts: 499

Joined: 19th Nov 2005

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: el falcon

Location: cranbourne
VIC, Australia

i had 185s on the front of my xf and 245 at the rear i had to roll the gards
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 31

Posts: 11103

Joined: 15th Nov 2004

Ride: AU III XR8 Pursuit 250 ute

Location: Hobart
TAS, Australia

I've been using 235 45 R17 on my 17" wheels. No worries,c ould go wider at the back, but doing so may effect the speedo reading.
When I had 15" wheels I used to run wider tyres on the rear than the front.

 

_________________

Heaps of performance EF/L parts for sale, including supercharged VCT motor!

2002 Ford AU Series III Falcon XR8 Pursuit 250 ute - 5.6L of V8 Windsor!

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 1552

Joined: 26th Oct 2005

Ride: Falcon

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

oh yer... i didnt think about the speedo rating.... what do i need to do if i get 17" wheels... how much would that put out my speedo .. how would i re calibrate it too...

 

_________________

SIGNATURE REMOVED - REFER TO FORUM GUIDELINES!

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:28 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 30

Posts: 3184

Joined: 8th Nov 2004

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: EF Falcon

Location: Townsville
QLD, Australia

twr7cx wrote:
I've been using 235 45 R17 on my 17" wheels. No worries,c ould go wider at the back, but doing so may effect the speedo reading.
When I had 15" wheels I used to run wider tyres on the rear than the front.


how does going wider effect the speedo?

i tyhought it was all about rolling diametre?

 

_________________

Nicco's M112 Blown, T-56 equipped EF
forums/viewtopic.php?t=68319

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:42 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 31

Posts: 3893

Joined: 15th Nov 2004

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: BF MKII V8 Fairmont Ghia

Location: Perth
WA, Australia

the profile of the tyre is a percentage of the width of the tyre.. but usually the profile changes with width..

but for example

235/45/17 and 245/45/17.. the 2nd one will have a slightly bigger rolling diametert.. but AFAIK in this instance it would be negligable.. maybe 1km/h tops

 

_________________

2007 Steel BF Ghia MKII V8 - 19" GTP's + Superlows

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:46 am 
Parts Gopher
Offline

Age: 31

Posts: 55

Joined: 4th Nov 2005

Ride: EF Fairmont

Location: canberra
ACT, Australia

nicco wrote:
twr7cx wrote:
I've been using 235 45 R17 on my 17" wheels. No worries,c ould go wider at the back, but doing so may effect the speedo reading.
When I had 15" wheels I used to run wider tyres on the rear than the front.


how does going wider effect the speedo?

i tyhought it was all about rolling diametre?

it is all about the diametre of teh wheel going wider wont make a difference but i have 235/45 17 on my car and theres only a few mill between the front suspension and the tyre.

i have no doubt you can go wider on the rear but im not so sure on the front.

 

_________________

ROTOR is ROTOR spelt backwards!!!

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:03 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 31

Posts: 4946

Joined: 15th Nov 2004

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: Trik'd up EFII XR6

Location: Perth
WA, Australia

fairmax wrote:
nicco wrote:
twr7cx wrote:
I've been using 235 45 R17 on my 17" wheels. No worries,c ould go wider at the back, but doing so may effect the speedo reading.
When I had 15" wheels I used to run wider tyres on the rear than the front.


how does going wider effect the speedo?

i tyhought it was all about rolling diametre?

it is all about the diametre of teh wheel going wider wont make a difference but i have 235/45 17 on my car and theres only a few mill between the front suspension and the tyre.

i have no doubt you can go wider on the rear but im not so sure on the front.


i dunno bout suspension and with only 17s guards might be okay...may just get a lil scrub everynow and again on bigger bumps or dips in the road.....245 is the largest width u will get really for an e-series for without issues.

rolling gurads is worth doing tho espescially if your cars lowered...normally only round $50 a guard some even do that price for a side

 

_________________

For Sale: 25 Farad Rockford Fosgate Competition Series Carbon Cap, more to come - pm me if interested

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:45 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 54

Posts: 4102

Joined: 18th Nov 2004

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: PX2 Ranger 4x4 XLT Dual CAB

Location: Carrum Downs
VIC, Australia

This calculator is great for working out how much you speedo will be affected by tyre size.

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

 

_________________

Image
She's meanness put to music and the b**ch is born to run!
Like the sign says, "speed's just a question of money. How fast can you go?"

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:25 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 30

Posts: 2280

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Ride: EF Falcon 95

Location: Rosebud
VIC, Australia

i had 255x17x40 on my car when i bought it, had no worries rubbing out, with king lows. tuff look!

now i have 235x45x17 with superlows in the back and it doesnt rub either, only with a full car, full tank and lots of luggage over mega bumps.

 

_________________

Cougar Zero makes my pants fit nice.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 1552

Joined: 26th Oct 2005

Ride: Falcon

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

mrnasty wrote:
i had 255x17x40 on my car when i bought it, had no worries rubbing out, with king lows. tuff look!

now i have 235x45x17 with superlows in the back and it doesnt rub either, only with a full car, full tank and lots of luggage over mega bumps.


did you have the 255's at the front? did that affect the turnings circle n stuff like that

 

_________________

SIGNATURE REMOVED - REFER TO FORUM GUIDELINES!

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:07 pm 
Tyre Shredder
Offline

Posts: 366

Joined: 1st Jul 2005

Location: perth
WA, Australia

theblackone wrote:
mrnasty wrote:
i had 255x17x40 on my car when i bought it, had no worries rubbing out, with king lows. tuff look!

now i have 235x45x17 with superlows in the back and it doesnt rub either, only with a full car, full tank and lots of luggage over mega bumps.


did you have the 255's at the front? did that affect the turnings circle n stuff like that


tyre width is dictated by rim width only, 235 - 245 is fine on a 8 inch wheel, which is basically an industry standard.

overall diameters are
205/65r15- 622mm
235/45r17- 644mm
245/45r17- 652mm
225/50r16- 632mm
185/75r14- 634mm
235/40r18- 645mm

255's would basically make the car drive like a pig and
"tram line" up the street, which basically means it follows the grooves in the road.

 

_________________

OFFICIAL TOKEN BLACKY

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 31

Posts: 4946

Joined: 15th Nov 2004

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: Trik'd up EFII XR6

Location: Perth
WA, Australia

black ed xr8 wrote:
theblackone wrote:
mrnasty wrote:
i had 255x17x40 on my car when i bought it, had no worries rubbing out, with king lows. tuff look!

now i have 235x45x17 with superlows in the back and it doesnt rub either, only with a full car, full tank and lots of luggage over mega bumps.


did you have the 255's at the front? did that affect the turnings circle n stuff like that


tyre width is dictated by rim width only, 235 - 245 is fine on a 8 inch wheel, which is basically an industry standard.

overall diameters are
205/65r15- 622mm
235/45r17- 644mm
245/45r17- 652mm
225/50r16- 632mm
185/75r14- 634mm
235/40r18- 645mm

255's would basically make the car drive like a pig and
"tram line" up the street, which basically means it follows the grooves in the road.


thats what i hought from blokes at tyre shops ive dealt with all said for the e-series falcons espescially lowered ones dont bother with 255s front or rear....i wouldnt mind them on the rear (when i was enquiring these were for 19"x8" wheels)

 

_________________

For Sale: 25 Farad Rockford Fosgate Competition Series Carbon Cap, more to come - pm me if interested

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:28 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 1552

Joined: 26th Oct 2005

Ride: Falcon

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

/me is steering away from 255 's :D

 

_________________

SIGNATURE REMOVED - REFER TO FORUM GUIDELINES!

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:46 am 
Tyre Shredder
Offline

Posts: 366

Joined: 1st Jul 2005

Location: perth
WA, Australia

Big Kev wrote:
black ed xr8 wrote:
theblackone wrote:
mrnasty wrote:
i had 255x17x40 on my car when i bought it, had no worries rubbing out, with king lows. tuff look!

now i have 235x45x17 with superlows in the back and it doesnt rub either, only with a full car, full tank and lots of luggage over mega bumps.


did you have the 255's at the front? did that affect the turnings circle n stuff like that


tyre width is dictated by rim width only, 235 - 245 is fine on a 8 inch wheel, which is basically an industry standard.

overall diameters are
205/65r15- 622mm
235/45r17- 644mm
245/45r17- 652mm
225/50r16- 632mm
185/75r14- 634mm
235/40r18- 645mm

255's would basically make the car drive like a pig and
"tram line" up the street, which basically means it follows the grooves in the road.


thats what i hought from blokes at tyre shops ive dealt with all said for the e-series falcons espescially lowered ones dont bother with 255s front or rear....i wouldnt mind them on the rear (when i was enquiring these were for 19"x8" wheels)


i think its more cost based than anything else, have you priced a 255/30r10 yet??

 

_________________

OFFICIAL TOKEN BLACKY

Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:
Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 14 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

 

 

It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:02 am All times are UTC + 11 hours

 

 

(c)2014 Total Web Solutions Australia - Australian Web Hosting and Domain Names