Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Post subject: Tyres Load Rating ?
Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:35 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: EL Fairmont

VIC, Australia

Hi,

I just phoned this Bob Jane outlet to get a figure on some new tyres for an EL Fairmont. I told the dude I'm looking for 215/60R15 and I like either C-Drive's or I thought some of those ES-V100's looked nice.

The dude came back saying "Oh, those tyre sizes are 'under load' which makes them illegal to fit in that size" .... is he serious ?

It sounded like a load of crap to me, coz I'm pretty sure I've already got tyres that size on it! I know it's a little wider than the stock rubber, but I need all the help I can get.

On a size note, I went to look up the stock tyre size on the web, but couldnt find it anywhere ?!? .... off the top of my head, did the EL fairmont with alloys come with 195/65/R15's ? or were they 70's or something ?

(PS I know everyone has different brand preferences, but I'm happy to try Yokohama this time round. For my take, I've tried a range of the others, and the only ones I liked were the old Pirelli P5000's)

Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 4:38 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: 96 EFII Futura Stock as a

VIC, Australia

Sounds like s**t to me. Tyres have a load rating for each tyre, this goon probably thought it meant the whole car. I can't find any info on load ratings for either of those tyres.

Post subject: Re: Tyres Load Rating ?
Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 5:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: PX2 Ranger 4x4 XLT Dual CAB

VIC, Australia

tfindlay wrote:
On a size note, I went to look up the stock tyre size on the web, but couldnt find it anywhere ?!? .... off the top of my head, did the EL fairmont with alloys come with 195/65/R15's ? or were they 70's or something ?

My Tyre Placard states 205-65-15, but I'm running 215-60-15 (EL fairmont)

She's meanness put to music and the b**ch is born to run!
Like the sign says, "speed's just a question of money. How fast can you go?"

Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: BF MKII V8 Fairmont Ghia

WA, Australia

cant find the stock tyre size?

look at the damn tyre placecard!

the tyres may be under the load rating, ive heard of someone being done before, cause the cop checked the placecard, and the number on the tyre and it was under.

did you ask him what the load rating was?

2007 Steel BF Ghia MKII V8 - 19" GTP's + Superlows

Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

ACT, Australia

the load and speed rating is the numbers letter after the tyre size, eg 100w 100 is the load rating the w is the speed rating. thats what u need to look up

Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:31 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: AU II Fairlane

QLD, Australia

he's crappin ya man i got simex 225/60/15 96 v on my ef ghia and there fine loads of grip

AU II Fairlane Ghia 180 hp@ the wheels, Pacemaker 4499, RedBack 2.5", stock CAT, CAI, Lovells low's. More to come

Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: BA MkII XT Wagon

NSW, Australia

its not the grip, its the loading of them over loading a tyre is dangerous it builds up heat in the tyre and can cause a blow out

Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:44 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: AU II Fairlane

QLD, Australia

Pulco wrote:
its not the grip, its the loading of them over loading a tyre is dangerous it builds up heat in the tyre and can cause a blow out
yeah fair enough that was the first thing i asked and the load rating on my tyres are right for the car

AU II Fairlane Ghia 180 hp@ the wheels, Pacemaker 4499, RedBack 2.5", stock CAT, CAI, Lovells low's. More to come

Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:26 pm 
Fordmods Addict

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Falcon

Power: 237 rwkw

VIC, Australia

A higher load rated tyre will generally have a stiffer sidewall.
The simex ones have a fairly stiff sidewall, and there fore a high load rating as well.. I got em in 225/50 R16 on the mont.
Stiff sidewalls = less deformation = faster corners :D

ED XR8 Sprint - S-Trim, V500, 249rwkw
BF MKII F6 Tornado - 237rwkw

Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:29 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: EL Fairmont

VIC, Australia

Sorry for the delay, your right, the tire placard reads 205/65R15, I just wasnt near the car for a while, so searched all over the web, and couldnt find it published anywhere!

I ended up trading in my Turanza 225/60/15's for some 225/60/15 C-Drive's ... it turned out they didnt make the ES-V100's in a suitable size. (Bummer!).

So far so good with the new ones, I havent given them enough treatment to see how they really stick around the bends, but hopefully they'll stand up better than the bridgestones.

Thanks for all the posts folks!

Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 1:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

The 205/65/15 in teh C-Drive has a load rating of 99 which is 775Kg compared to the 215/60/15 with a load rating of 98 which is 750Kg. Their 225/60/15 has a load rating of 96 which is 710Kg.

The cheapo 760 has a load rating of 95 in the 205/65/15 size, so apparently, it's illegal to run those tyres. Hmm, falcons have expensive taste don't they?

Bob Jane's own Allrounder has a load rating of 95 in their 205/65/15 Size, so their own tyre is ILLEGAL according to the bloke you talked to, being rated @ only 690Kg!!! And that's without going a step up in width and a step down in profile!!

It is also perfectly acceptable to run Yoko's C-Drive in a 225/60/15, or run their AVS E100 in a 225/50/15 size as your standard rim width is sufficient, although you're rolling diameter will reduce and your speedo will over-read.

Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 6:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

unclewoja wrote:
Bob Jane's own Allrounder has a load rating of 95 in their 205/65/15 Size, so their own tyre is ILLEGAL according to the bloke you talked to, being rated @ only 690Kg!!! And that's without going a step up in width and a step down in profile!!

95 is fine! It exceeds the minimum required rating as recommended by Ford.

Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 9:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

madmax wrote:
unclewoja wrote:

Just to clarify, I never said 95 was not ok. I was using the info tfindlay posted that he got from Bob Jane which is clearly wrong.

Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

unclewoja wrote:
madmax wrote:
unclewoja wrote:

Just to clarify, I never said 95 was not ok. I was using the info tfindlay posted that he got from Bob Jane which is clearly wrong.

Not to worry, I wasn't having a go at you mate, just clearing it up in case anyone was confused.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 14 posts ]