Fordmods Logo

tyres - what's best for an XB? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Post subject: tyres - what's best for an XB?
Posted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

SA, Australia

Hey all,
I have a slightly weird question for you owners of older Falcons (XB and older) - what tyres do you use? Over the last few years I've been using (hate to admit it) retreads...these are on Globes, 15" - I've been using 225/60/15's that I get from Cluse Brothers (South Australia). I've never had a problem with them, they're cheap as (last lot worked out to just over $50 per wheel balanced and fitted) and, most importantly, the car drives nice and handles really well with these tyres. Around a year ago I got the guilts about using retreads and fitted new Goodyears - same size, no idea what model of Goodyear tyre they were but I'll tell you now, they were absolute rubbish. The car darted all over the place, nearly impossible to keep it on the road, no exaggeration. It was so bad that my first thought was that the tyre joint had damaged something jacking it up, but nope. Went to a wheel aligning joint where the guy has raced older cars, looks after a couple of HQ racers, and told him what was going on - he mucked around with settings for a full morning - started with standard then changed stuff trying to make it work - no joy. He confirmed that everything steering/suspensionwise was fine and looked at the tyres as the culprits - he was saying he'd heard that Goodyear now manufactured in Asia and quality has dropped through the floorboards. Anyway, went back to Cluse's, had another set of retreads installed, everything went back to normal. They are now worn out, and so before I go buy another set, I want to ask the question - what tyres do YOU use on your older Ford??? (Remember XB and older - I think that changes in suspension design, rack and pinion steering etc would all influence the `feel ' of different tyres on newer models - what works on an EB or whatever won't necessarily be as applicable to an oldie...)

351 4V XB Coupe running LPG

Post subject: Re: tyres - what's best for an XB?
Posted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:15 pm 
NSW Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: TE50

NSW, Australia

Yokie C.Drives or Falken FK452's woud eb more than suitable for your car. I agree with the goodyears.

Had Eagle F1's GSD3's on the EF and it was just slippery, they gave me no confidence. Put some Falkens on it and it was great again. Yokie C'Drives are better again in my book.

I have a car.

Posted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

thanks dc_todd - just a clarification - when you say ` I agree with the goodyears' do you mean you've heard they're crap too?

Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

ended up buying another set of retreads today - talked with the guy at the tyre place about them thinking that he'd try to steer me into something a bit better (pricier) but he instead recommended them , said last set he'd fitted were on a 66 mustang for much the same reasons as I've mentioned. Drive home was really nice - lighter steering, no tramlining etc. And they last for years too. Total cost, $240 fitted and balanced.

Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Oh,and Ash, nice looking guitar in the background!

Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: Vixen Red 09 FG XT

QLD, Australia

Hehe the ol Les Pauls ;)

VIXEN FG XT Previous best - 14.431 @ 99.69mph with minor mods
Currently 14.235 @ 101mph same mods. Bring on the 13's!

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]