Fordmods Logo

ultra lows 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: ultra lows
Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:55 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

WA, Australia

How will king spring ultralows go with standard fairmont ghia struts?
Will there be much comprimise in ride quality?

Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:43 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: EB V8

NSW, Australia

Very bad idea (& see sig). Forget you ever thought of it, it won't work. Shocks will bottom out if you don't get suitable ones. Ride will suffer plenty & I don't consider bottoming out on & scraping over speed bumps & the driveway of every second person I visit comfortable or convienient, & most of all, does not make you look good.

"My car handles great cos it's lowered". Thats crap. The lowering itself does not improve handling. The very small amount you can gain by lowering the certre of mass is not nearly as effective as the new shocks & spring rates that new components provide. You can also end up with different camber & castor that can improve the handling, but these would be a handling improvement without the lowering. However, to save the tyres, camber & castor kits are used, instantly removing any handling improvement they would provide. Leaving the only benefit of lowering the new spring & shock rates & at any height you can benefit from those. You gain more handling improvement from adding stiffer roll bars, but I guess they don't look 'fully sik bro', & people only judge things by their looks. Looks low, must handle great. Yet another myth based on assumption rather then research.

I also recon the risk of being defected & voiding insurance just for the sake of wank factor looks is just to great.

Production Editor of Performance Motoring at Express Media Group
shollier@expresspublications.com.au
Phone: (02) 9741 3838 (direct line)

Posted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 12:01 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

WA, Australia

It has to be better then people who cut their springs?
What struts do you suggest i use?

Posted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 6:17 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: EB V8

NSW, Australia

Not really any better without special order shocks. Go with superlows. They are the lowest legal & the standard shocks in some brands like monroe will be suitable. If you have sls you will need to remove the air suspension & put in a set of normal gas shocks. You may get away with putting a standard pump valve 'T' on them, but I've never done this.

I have a set of superlows with just the basic (but new) monroe gt gas (it's a silver strut) front strut. These will take superlows & anything higher. Gabriel & some others need a separate part number to suit the superlows, but monroe list the same part number for both on the EB. Talk to your prefered stockist over there & make sure the shocks & struts will suit superlow springs. You don't want them bottoming out on themselves or allowing the springs to become untrapped. That would be as bad as cutting them.

Production Editor of Performance Motoring at Express Media Group
shollier@expresspublications.com.au
Phone: (02) 9741 3838 (direct line)

Post subject: info
Posted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 10:32 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EL 98 XR6

NSW, Australia

Hi any idea on the price of one set for el thanks

Posted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 1:55 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

hey just got super lows for my rears.....its currently on low on the rear and stocks on the front so that its level (previous owner). now would the stock shockers bottom out much on the super lows or will i be alright to just change them over? im not sure what shockers are currently in there.....most likely stocks. i know ultra lows bottom out as one of u mentioned above but want to make sure with super lows.

Another thing i want lows at the front so i can level the car out.....im sure the stock shocks are fine with that?

cheers

phong =P~

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]