Fordmods Logo

Upper trailing arm mounts 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: Upper trailing arm mounts
Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:03 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: ED XR6, AUII XR8

VIC, Australia

Just wondering why some e-series have two holes for mounting the upper trailing arms? i know my ed xr6 and my dads xr8 sprint and ea SVO all had 2 holes. Funny thing was i was reading the autospeed article about frank the ef's upper trailing arms. They have drilled new holes lower on the ef's moutning plate but the hole is in the same place where my trailing arms are bolted on. Whats the point of having 2 holes? beats me, any ideas:P
cheers.

ED XR6, LeMans Red, 5-Speed
AUII XR8, Silhouette, 5-Speed

Post subject: Re: Upper trailing arm mounts
Posted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:20 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

If I remember, the ED's XR's had angle type upper arms.....where they go onto the chassis rail.
Does yours have these?????

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:02 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: FORD FALCON XR6

VIC, Australia

its mainly to correct pinion angle because on the xr6's the suspension is 30mm or so lower from factory. they come out with different holes so the pinion angle woudnt change with the lowering of hieght.

I was having problems lowering my EL XR6 one day the upper contol arms wer hitting the diff so i used the holes that wear higher and now my car is rediculously low and stil has travel not a bumpy ride at all, its on 16's and the gaurds are 2cm off the rim. every asks me how i id it and this is what i tell them.

from experience the only diff housing that have many holes are the xr6's xr8's and other falcons fitted with an LSD as an extra option. if your car does not fit this criteria then you will have to drill your own new holes.

i hope this story has interested someone.

Posted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:07 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: 2001 AUII XR6 ute

QLD, Australia

you will find that by using the opper holes with an excessively lowered car, you will shorten the lifespan of the uni's.... has also been known to cause a rumbling noise

Posted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:23 am 
Fordmods Addict

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Falcon

Power: 237 rwkw

VIC, Australia

cjh wrote:
If I remember, the ED's XR's had angle type upper arms.....where they go onto the chassis rail.
Does yours have these?????

Nah that was EF XRs with the weird upper arms.

It was less to do with pinion angle and more to do with instant centres.
The diff doesn't go straight up and down because the arms aren't equal length, it rotates around an 'instant centre' as it goes through its travel.
Changing the length and position of the upper arm mount can move this point around, affects handling/traction in ways that I don't understand.

adam999111 wrote:
I was having problems lowering my EL XR6 one day the upper contol arms wer hitting the diff so i used the holes that wear higher and now my car is rediculously low and stil has travel not a bumpy ride at all, its on 16's and the gaurds are 2cm off the rim. every asks me how i id it and this is what i tell them.

were they the right arms, the original EL XR ones with the kink to clear the axle tubes?
because from what i've seen if you fitted EL XR arms to the upper holes in the diff, the pinion of your diff should be sitting IN the floor pan if what you've said about the height of your car is right...

btw the trailing arms have almost zero influence on how low your car sits.

ED XR8 Sprint - S-Trim, V500, 249rwkw
BF MKII F6 Tornado - 237rwkw

Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:33 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

Quote:

Thats what i thought until i had a look and the upper control arm, it was resting on the diff housing becoz it was low, so by raising the upper arm i got clearance from the housing and kept the same pinion angle.

And about the uni's they just went, but i think a major factor was my button clutch (harsh engagement most of the time), height didnt help at all though.

Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:34 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

Quote:

Thats what i thought until i had a look and the upper control arm, it was resting on the diff housing becoz it was low, so by raising the upper arm i got clearance from the housing and kept the same pinion angle.

And about the uni's they just went, but i think a major factor was my button clutch (harsh engagement most of the time), height didnt help at all though.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]