Fordmods Logo

Urethane Vs. Rubber Bushes? 

 

Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

 
 Post subject: Urethane Vs. Rubber Bushes?
Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:47 pm 
Smokin em up
Offline
User avatar

Age: 23

Posts: 215

Joined: 30th Jul 2011

Ride: 1998 EL Ford Futura

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

Which are the best? Replacing all of the rear bushes in my EL. Don't want to have to replace them regularly.

 

_________________

MY BUILD:
- Oxford Green 1998 EL Ford Futura. Hybrid EL Tickford Engine. 3.45 LSD Diff. DL LTD Interior. Cruise Climate Trip HERE
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Image~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Urethane Vs. Rubber Bushes?
Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:02 pm 
Moderator
Offline

Posts: 14513

Joined: 7th Nov 2004

Ride: ford falcon au3 xr8

Location: a shit suburb in sydney
NSW, Australia

urethane....... superpro urathane are really good bushes..nolathane are junk!
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Urethane Vs. Rubber Bushes?
Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 102

Posts: 466

Joined: 22nd Jun 2011

Ride: '97 EL Fairmont Ghia

Location: Perth
WA, Australia

funny you say that..

this just came yesterday, lol.

Image

Talk to GSL Rallysport, they'll easily get you a whole car set for about 400 dollars.

 

_________________

EL Ghia

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Urethane Vs. Rubber Bushes?
Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 1427

Joined: 21st May 2005

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

Also speaking of, I have a nearly full set (F/R) of Nolathane bushes that I don't need anymore and have been meaning to list a FS thread (Only missing caster bushes and camber kits)

 

_________________

EL Fairmont Ghia - Manual - Supercharged
- The Car
- The Headlights

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Urethane Vs. Rubber Bushes?
Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 32

Posts: 1833

Joined: 3rd May 2007

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: AUII XR6 Uterus

Location: South Coast
NSW, Australia

I went through a few warranty claims with nolathane bushes. it seems their quality control is average to say the least. No problems with after sale service though. Once I did get a good set they were fine. The bushes in question were the rear lower control arm bushes in an ea, I always wondered if the later model size difference fixed this. It seems it didn't.
However I did give up on their swaybar bushes and.....
ALOT of people seem very happy, the first time, with those superpro bushes. If I were to do another car I would use them.

Make sure you post some feedback about them after install.

 

_________________

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Urethane Vs. Rubber Bushes?
Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Posts: 6449

Joined: 11th Nov 2004

low_ryda wrote:
I went through a few warranty claims with nolathane bushes. it seems their quality control is average to say the least. No problems with after sale service though. Once I did get a good set they were fine. The bushes in question were the rear lower control arm bushes in an ea, I always wondered if the later model size difference fixed this. It seems it didn't.
However I did give up on their swaybar bushes and.....
ALOT of people seem very happy, the first time, with those superpro bushes. If I were to do another car I would use them.

Make sure you post some feedback about them after install.



Nolathane quality control isn't the problem, it's just they have a really really really s**t product.

I use alot of super pro bushes and have never had a warranty claim.

 

_________________

PERMANENTLY BANNED

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Urethane Vs. Rubber Bushes?
Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:48 pm 
Smokin em up
Offline

Age: 26

Posts: 276

Joined: 27th Jun 2007

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

What about if you're primarily after ride comfort and nothing else, would you recommend rubber bushes over say Superpro for that reason?
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Urethane Vs. Rubber Bushes?
Posted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:28 am 
Moderator
Offline

Posts: 14513

Joined: 7th Nov 2004

Ride: ford falcon au3 xr8

Location: a shit suburb in sydney
NSW, Australia

if you were someone only after comfort, 1st step is dont lower it or fit h/d springs, urethane bushes wouldnt make the suspension overly stiff on their own..
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Urethane Vs. Rubber Bushes?
Posted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:55 pm 
Stock as a Rock
Offline
User avatar

Age: 27

Posts: 131

Joined: 29th Jun 2008

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: AUII Futura

Location: melbourne
VIC, Australia

i did the whole shebang on my AU... look the road feel is really nice, the suspension feels like its working to the spec of all its components now, but i probably wouldn't do it again (for a daily). i have dobi lows which arent overly stiff and ultima's (very ordinary shocks), as well as front and rear swaybars on a solid rear setup.
if you're doing it yourself without the propper tools its fairly labour instensive and you have the added maintenance of greasing them up in the winter months after some rain (not terrible as you can monitor things under your car and have things torqued more regularly) but as far as i'm aware rubber bushes are maintenance free and don't require greasing. i'm currently planning on making some thin rubber sleeves to go over most of my arms to increase the interval in which i have to do so...
other than that they added a fair bit of road noise too (on federal 595ss's which werent overly noisy before, but we'll see how the next tyre choice goes).

back to your question though; either choice you make, i'm not sure how long they last will be the issue at all! weight up the cost difference, but if i were doing rear urethane i'd probably want the front too.
hope this helps in your decision making.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Urethane Vs. Rubber Bushes?
Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 49

Posts: 6467

Joined: 18th Dec 2006

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

Location: Rockhampton
QLD, Australia

tickford_6 wrote:

Nolathane quality control isn't the problem, it's just they have a really really really s**t product.

I use alot of super pro bushes and have never had a warranty claim.


Amen brother..........I found Nolathane products to be sh!te over 20 years ago....and was put onto SuperPro, and haven't looked back since.
The bushes I have on the car now, the ED, were from my EA, and are approaching 10 years old now.
If any need changing first, I reckon it will be the front strut bar bushes....they seem to be the most loaded, most of the time....all others are still very good.

 

_________________

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Urethane Vs. Rubber Bushes?
Posted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:57 pm 
Smokin em up
Offline

Age: 26

Posts: 276

Joined: 27th Jun 2007

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
if you were someone only after comfort, 1st step is dont lower it or fit h/d springs, urethane bushes wouldnt make the suspension overly stiff on their own..


When I bought my car one of the previous owners had lowered it, put 17" wheels on it and nolothane bushes on the front swaybar.

I've got factory 15" wheels and standard height king springs to replace the lowered ones with, I assume the extra suspension travel will cushion it up a bit?
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Urethane Vs. Rubber Bushes?
Posted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Posts: 6449

Joined: 11th Nov 2004

Damoo wrote:
TROYMAN wrote:
if you were someone only after comfort, 1st step is dont lower it or fit h/d springs, urethane bushes wouldnt make the suspension overly stiff on their own..


When I bought my car one of the previous owners had lowered it, put 17" wheels on it and nolothane bushes on the front swaybar.

I've got factory 15" wheels and standard height king springs to replace the lowered ones with, I assume the extra suspension travel will cushion it up a bit?


If you want to soften in it up you'll need genuine springs. Even standard height King springs are stiffer the genuine springs. Considering most people throw the old stuff in the bin, it shouldn't be hard to find some one willing to give them away or charge very little.

A lot of it is in the shocks to, cheap s**t shocks don't ride very well or last very long.

 

_________________

PERMANENTLY BANNED

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Urethane Vs. Rubber Bushes?
Posted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:59 pm 
Smokin em up
Offline

Age: 26

Posts: 276

Joined: 27th Jun 2007

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

tickford_6 wrote:
Damoo wrote:
TROYMAN wrote:
if you were someone only after comfort, 1st step is dont lower it or fit h/d springs, urethane bushes wouldnt make the suspension overly stiff on their own..


When I bought my car one of the previous owners had lowered it, put 17" wheels on it and nolothane bushes on the front swaybar.

I've got factory 15" wheels and standard height king springs to replace the lowered ones with, I assume the extra suspension travel will cushion it up a bit?


If you want to soften in it up you'll need genuine springs. Even standard height King springs are stiffer the genuine springs. Considering most people throw the old stuff in the bin, it shouldn't be hard to find some one willing to give them away or charge very little.

A lot of it is in the shocks to, cheap s**t shocks don't ride very well or last very long.


I've got new Boge standard shocks here too for it.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Urethane Vs. Rubber Bushes?
Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 32

Posts: 1833

Joined: 3rd May 2007

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: AUII XR6 Uterus

Location: South Coast
NSW, Australia

tickford_6 wrote:
Nolathane quality control isn't the problem, it's just they have a really really really s**t product.

I use alot of super pro bushes and have never had a warranty claim.


While I'm not saying that nolathane are better than any other bush around, I still found the biggest problem with nolathane products are the plastic consistencies. I've been working with engineering plastics long enough to spot the difference between a brittle bush with porosity that explodes and one that's just too hard, which they are for road use anyway which is why they get branded as a s**t product. Urethane bushes life expectancies are also heavilly effected by installation. Not sticking up for nolathane, just re-iterating my point.

Rubber bushes are for 'comfort', most polyurethane bushes are designed for 'sports'. Superpro bushes have a heaps better record than nolathane, so buy superpro, I already said that. If you want super hard, get some brass bushes turned up & a mig so you can weld up cracks & broken stuff.

 

_________________

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Urethane Vs. Rubber Bushes?
Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Posts: 6449

Joined: 11th Nov 2004

I brand them as s**t because of the failure rate and no other reason.

The quality control thing was tongue in cheek.
'quality control is find be they consistently turn out rubbish and rarely let anything good slip through'

Urethane bushes are cheap and easy to get and easy to fit, that's why we all use them, If I were to only ever use rubber bushes at work i'd never be able to compete on price. Plus the availability is limited.

There are plenty of brands around, but we (my self and other mechanics i've known for years) always end up back at superpro because the quality is right.


Damoo wrote:
What about if you're primarily after ride comfort and nothing else, would you recommend rubber bushes over say Superpro for that reason?


Then I'd selectively use both rubber and urethane bushes. All the shocks would use rubber, spring insulators would be rubber, upper trailing arms would be rubber, lower control arms would be rubber.

Lower trailing arms, upper control arms, watts linkage, sway bars would all be urethane.


I use genuine nissan rubber bushes on the radius arms of patrols that get used properly off road. but use superpro on soccer mum patrols.

 

_________________

PERMANENTLY BANNED

Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:
Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Matts1996ef and 19 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

 

 

It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:20 pm All times are UTC + 11 hours

 

 

(c)2014 Total Web Solutions Australia - Australian Web Hosting and Domain Names