Fordmods Logo

Urethane Vs. Rubber Bushes? 

Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Urethane Vs. Rubber Bushes?
Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:47 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: 1998 EL Ford Futura

VIC, Australia

Which are the best? Replacing all of the rear bushes in my EL. Don't want to have to replace them regularly.

MY BUILD:
- Oxford Green 1998 EL Ford Futura. Hybrid EL Tickford Engine. 3.45 LSD Diff. DL LTD Interior. Cruise Climate Trip HERE
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Image~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Post subject: Re: Urethane Vs. Rubber Bushes?
Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:02 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

urethane....... superpro urathane are really good bushes..nolathane are junk!

Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

funny you say that..

this just came yesterday, lol.

Talk to GSL Rallysport, they'll easily get you a whole car set for about 400 dollars.

EL Ghia

Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Also speaking of, I have a nearly full set (F/R) of Nolathane bushes that I don't need anymore and have been meaning to list a FS thread (Only missing caster bushes and camber kits)

EL Fairmont Ghia - Manual - Supercharged
- The Car
- The Headlights

Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: AUII XR6 Uterus

NSW, Australia

I went through a few warranty claims with nolathane bushes. it seems their quality control is average to say the least. No problems with after sale service though. Once I did get a good set they were fine. The bushes in question were the rear lower control arm bushes in an ea, I always wondered if the later model size difference fixed this. It seems it didn't.
However I did give up on their swaybar bushes and.....
ALOT of people seem very happy, the first time, with those superpro bushes. If I were to do another car I would use them.

Make sure you post some feedback about them after install.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution.

Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

low_ryda wrote:
I went through a few warranty claims with nolathane bushes. it seems their quality control is average to say the least. No problems with after sale service though. Once I did get a good set they were fine. The bushes in question were the rear lower control arm bushes in an ea, I always wondered if the later model size difference fixed this. It seems it didn't.
However I did give up on their swaybar bushes and.....
ALOT of people seem very happy, the first time, with those superpro bushes. If I were to do another car I would use them.

Make sure you post some feedback about them after install.

Nolathane quality control isn't the problem, it's just they have a really really really s**t product.

I use alot of super pro bushes and have never had a warranty claim.

Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:48 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

What about if you're primarily after ride comfort and nothing else, would you recommend rubber bushes over say Superpro for that reason?

Posted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:28 am 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

if you were someone only after comfort, 1st step is dont lower it or fit h/d springs, urethane bushes wouldnt make the suspension overly stiff on their own..

Posted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:55 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: AUII Futura

VIC, Australia

i did the whole shebang on my AU... look the road feel is really nice, the suspension feels like its working to the spec of all its components now, but i probably wouldn't do it again (for a daily). i have dobi lows which arent overly stiff and ultima's (very ordinary shocks), as well as front and rear swaybars on a solid rear setup.
if you're doing it yourself without the propper tools its fairly labour instensive and you have the added maintenance of greasing them up in the winter months after some rain (not terrible as you can monitor things under your car and have things torqued more regularly) but as far as i'm aware rubber bushes are maintenance free and don't require greasing. i'm currently planning on making some thin rubber sleeves to go over most of my arms to increase the interval in which i have to do so...
other than that they added a fair bit of road noise too (on federal 595ss's which werent overly noisy before, but we'll see how the next tyre choice goes).

back to your question though; either choice you make, i'm not sure how long they last will be the issue at all! weight up the cost difference, but if i were doing rear urethane i'd probably want the front too.
hope this helps in your decision making.

Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

tickford_6 wrote:

Nolathane quality control isn't the problem, it's just they have a really really really s**t product.

Amen brother..........I found Nolathane products to be sh!te over 20 years ago....and was put onto SuperPro, and haven't looked back since.
The bushes I have on the car now, the ED, were from my EA, and are approaching 10 years old now.
If any need changing first, I reckon it will be the front strut bar bushes....they seem to be the most loaded, most of the time....all others are still very good.

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:57 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
if you were someone only after comfort, 1st step is dont lower it or fit h/d springs, urethane bushes wouldnt make the suspension overly stiff on their own..

When I bought my car one of the previous owners had lowered it, put 17" wheels on it and nolothane bushes on the front swaybar.

I've got factory 15" wheels and standard height king springs to replace the lowered ones with, I assume the extra suspension travel will cushion it up a bit?

Posted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Damoo wrote:
TROYMAN wrote:

When I bought my car one of the previous owners had lowered it, put 17" wheels on it and nolothane bushes on the front swaybar.

I've got factory 15" wheels and standard height king springs to replace the lowered ones with, I assume the extra suspension travel will cushion it up a bit?

If you want to soften in it up you'll need genuine springs. Even standard height King springs are stiffer the genuine springs. Considering most people throw the old stuff in the bin, it shouldn't be hard to find some one willing to give them away or charge very little.

A lot of it is in the shocks to, cheap s**t shocks don't ride very well or last very long.

Posted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:59 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

tickford_6 wrote:
Damoo wrote:
TROYMAN wrote:

If you want to soften in it up you'll need genuine springs. Even standard height King springs are stiffer the genuine springs. Considering most people throw the old stuff in the bin, it shouldn't be hard to find some one willing to give them away or charge very little.

A lot of it is in the shocks to, cheap s**t shocks don't ride very well or last very long.

I've got new Boge standard shocks here too for it.

Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: AUII XR6 Uterus

NSW, Australia

tickford_6 wrote:

While I'm not saying that nolathane are better than any other bush around, I still found the biggest problem with nolathane products are the plastic consistencies. I've been working with engineering plastics long enough to spot the difference between a brittle bush with porosity that explodes and one that's just too hard, which they are for road use anyway which is why they get branded as a s**t product. Urethane bushes life expectancies are also heavilly effected by installation. Not sticking up for nolathane, just re-iterating my point.

Rubber bushes are for 'comfort', most polyurethane bushes are designed for 'sports'. Superpro bushes have a heaps better record than nolathane, so buy superpro, I already said that. If you want super hard, get some brass bushes turned up & a mig so you can weld up cracks & broken stuff.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution.

Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

I brand them as s**t because of the failure rate and no other reason.

The quality control thing was tongue in cheek.
'quality control is find be they consistently turn out rubbish and rarely let anything good slip through'

Urethane bushes are cheap and easy to get and easy to fit, that's why we all use them, If I were to only ever use rubber bushes at work i'd never be able to compete on price. Plus the availability is limited.

There are plenty of brands around, but we (my self and other mechanics i've known for years) always end up back at superpro because the quality is right.

Damoo wrote:
What about if you're primarily after ride comfort and nothing else, would you recommend rubber bushes over say Superpro for that reason?

Then I'd selectively use both rubber and urethane bushes. All the shocks would use rubber, spring insulators would be rubber, upper trailing arms would be rubber, lower control arms would be rubber.

Lower trailing arms, upper control arms, watts linkage, sway bars would all be urethane.

I use genuine nissan rubber bushes on the radius arms of patrols that get used properly off road. but use superpro on soccer mum patrols.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next