Fordmods Logo

V8 Steering Rack in XR6 (EF) 

Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Post subject: Re: V8 Steering Rack in XR6 (EF)
Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: 2007

NSW, Australia

Did you swap out the housing? if so the pinion may have moved a tooth or two - Ray pointed out the V8 rack looked wrong.

BF Fairmont Ghia Series II update.
GQ XR6T ghia patrol.

,======o00o
//__|__|_,\_____\,___
|_/--\'_|'__|_/--\_[]IIII[]
_( o ) )_____( o ) )=o=) )__

Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF XR6 Wagon, AU2 XR6 VCT

Power: 148 rwkw

New Zealand

The pinion was fully 120 degrees out, which is why I've been trying to adjust the steering wheel to compensate. Whoever rebuilt the rack needs serious shooting. :evil:

Am I attempting the impossible? It's starting to look like the steering wheel cannot be adjusted to compensate. If the steering crowd managed to move the pinion, it must be possible to move it back. What's involved in that?

Failing that, I will have to put the old rack back in. :cry:

Thanks, guys.

95 EF XR6 wagon, 17" FTRs, DBA rotors, KYB/Koni, AU bottom end, ported EF head, backcut valves, SS Inductions, Territory intake, 10.2 CR, Auckland 1258 cam, vernier gear, PH4480 headers, no cat, Tickford 2.5", 2800rpm stall, J3 chip

Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

If the wheel is out 120 then 90 of that can be taken up with the steering wheel and the rest should be do-able with the tierods. Just watch that the wheels don't touch the chassis or guards when you are done.

GQ XR6T ghia patrol.

,======o00o
//__|__|_,\_____\,___

Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Thanks, but I tried that. Because the clockspring can move only in 180 degree increments, the steering wheel must do the same. So far, I have swung it around 180 degrees, so I am 60-70 degrees out the other way (about .2 of a turn). Assuming I can get that much adjustment out of the tie rod ends, that will give me too much lock on one side, and a massive turning circle on the other - as the rack will already be .2 of a turn to the left when the steering wheel is straight ahead.

Is it a simple job to open up the steering rack and turn the pinion to where it should be?

Thanks for all the help.

95 EF XR6 wagon, 17" FTRs, DBA rotors, KYB/Koni, AU bottom end, ported EF head, backcut valves, SS Inductions, Territory intake, 10.2 CR, Auckland 1258 cam, vernier gear, PH4480 headers, no cat, Tickford 2.5", 2800rpm stall, J3 chip

Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Havent done it but from Ray's description does not seem to hard.
Pity your over there, I have a near new V8 rack in the shed.

GQ XR6T ghia patrol.

,======o00o
//__|__|_,\_____\,___

Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:53 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

efxr6wagon wrote:
What can I do to fix this mess? Thanks.
You needed to heed advice already given.
- Reset the pinion to the correct position, the curved notch (for the intermediate shaft mounting bolt) needs to be 60 degrees from the rack, just like the 6 cyl one, steering in straight ahead position
- Pull the steering wheel and clockspring, steer column in straight ahead position.
- Fit intermediate shaft, reset clockspring, fit steering wheel.
- Wheel align for correct toe in.
Drive car, adjust toe each side to centre steer wheel. Keep tabs on adjustment for further tweaking.

Borrow a shop manual and read up on how to pull the pinion - most likely the rack pad adjustment will need to be backed off to get it back in.

So it looks like the 6 cyl one will be going back in at this time.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:02 am 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Sorry. I'm just a little slow, I guess. But I've never openned up a steering rack before, so no idea what I'm getting myself into.

I have a shop manual for the AU - is the rack similar to an EF?

Thanks

Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:19 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EF Futura wagon, BF MKIII Wagon

QLD, Australia

efxr6wagon

The issue you have encountered sounds almost the same as the one I experienced when i put an EL rack into an EF. The two are physically different.

However, your racks appear the same externally apart form the switch. Trust me, putting in non-identical racks is a recipe for pain! i spent many many hours to resolve mine..

Anyway, this link might be useful. The steering column assembly, intermediate shaft and rack are most definetly master splined and there is no way around this which means you cannot remove the steering wheel and change the position without inducing problems. If you do, then you are doing the job incorrectly.

gearbox-suspension-brake-driveline-f4/el-rack-into-ef-t104472.html

with intermediate shaft removed, have a look at the steering column shaft that protrudes from the firewall as indicated in the picture in the link. make sure the vehicle the V8 rack came out of and the one your installing it into have the master spline in the same position when the steering wheels are set to straight ahead

Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Hey! Thanks for the great info. I thought the XR8 rack was out of an EF, but must be from an EL. That would explain why I was having such a mission. In the end, I put the original rack back in, and all is good. I might just on-sell the EL rack, as I'm not having any noticeable issues with the old one. (Except now I have a leak at the power steering cooler - I guess that just proves it's a genuine Falcon :D .) Thanks for all the help guys.

Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:12 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

The V8 rack is not an EL.

Another thing to consider between EF and EL gear is the intermediate shafts are different lengths.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

So, that then it must be an EF XR8 unit, just assembled incorrectly. Is that right?

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2