Fordmods Logo

V8 Steering Rack in XR6 (EF) 

Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: V8 Steering Rack in XR6 (EF)
Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF XR6 Wagon, AU2 XR6 VCT

Power: 148 rwkw

New Zealand

I know this has probably been answered before, but I couldn't find it with search.

I came across a freshly rebuilt EF XR8 steering rack at a great price, so I'm swapping it into my EF XR6 wagon. I just put them side by side, and realised that the V8 one has no pressure switch. Will the V8 rack cause any problems in my XR6? Do I just leave the pressure switch wire alone? Or do I bridge it to imitate a closed circuit? Will I get warning lights on the dash? I will not miss the pressure switch, as they tend to fail, and are a devil to replace.

Everything else appears to be identical, so no issues with fit or hose connections, etc. Thanks for the help.

95 EF XR6 wagon, 17" FTRs, DBA rotors, KYB/Koni, AU bottom end, ported EF head, backcut valves, SS Inductions, Territory intake, 10.2 CR, Auckland 1258 cam, vernier gear, PH4480 headers, no cat, Tickford 2.5", 2800rpm stall, J3 chip

Post subject: Re: V8 Steering Rack in XR6 (EF)
Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: 2007

NSW, Australia

I ran a V8 rack in my I6 without problems, I seem to remember the connector was bridged out.
No warnings.

BF Fairmont Ghia Series II update.
GQ XR6T ghia patrol.

,======o00o
//__|__|_,\_____\,___
|_/--\'_|'__|_/--\_[]IIII[]
_( o ) )_____( o ) )=o=) )__

Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Thanks heaps for that.

If anyone can confirm that the shorting the pressure switch connector won't fry any circuits, I'll go with that.

Why does the six need a pressure switch anyway? What happens when the switch detects pressure? And why doesn't a V8 need one?

Thanks.

95 EF XR6 wagon, 17" FTRs, DBA rotors, KYB/Koni, AU bottom end, ported EF head, backcut valves, SS Inductions, Territory intake, 10.2 CR, Auckland 1258 cam, vernier gear, PH4480 headers, no cat, Tickford 2.5", 2800rpm stall, J3 chip

Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

The switches action is to bump up the idle when the power steering is at its extent so the I6 does not stall out. The V8 does not need this due to the extra torque at low RPM. No harm will happen by shorting it out.

GQ XR6T ghia patrol.

,======o00o
//__|__|_,\_____\,___

Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:36 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

efxr6wagon wrote:
II will not miss the pressure switch, as they tend to fail, and are a devil to replace.
Never had one fail.
Optionally, you can swap pinion housings over - use the newer recoed large O ring on the base, and swap over the upper seal - use a socket to tap it and the upper bearing out, and install both same from the inside by tapping in with a socket.
On the V8 rack, fit the old housing over the pinion while you're doing the above - it has 4 teflon seals which might expand when bare.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

That's awesome information. Thunderbirds are go! Thanks guys.

Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Encountered possibly another problem.

Am ready to install the new rack, but it looks like the shaft is out of alignment. I put the two racks side by side and centred them, but the shafts are about 120 degrees different (see pic). That wouldn't be a problem, except that it lines up with the intermediate shaft only one way - and the same with the other end of the intermediate shaft. So, if I turn the shaft on the rack to line up to the intermediate shaft with the steering wheel at dead ahead, the wheels will actually be turned 1/3 of a turn. Has the new rack been assembled incorrectly? And is it something I can fix?

I hope I have explained this so it's understandable. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments:
File comment: The two racks lined up and centred, new one at bottom.
P8010072.JPG
P8010072.JPG [ 373.17 KiB | Viewed 209 times ]
File comment: Same racks, not moved, showing different shaft alignments.
P8010073.JPG
P8010073.JPG [ 358.84 KiB | Viewed 145 times ]

Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Simple to fix, remove and reinstall the steering wheel.

GQ XR6T ghia patrol.

,======o00o
//__|__|_,\_____\,___

Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Does that create issues with the clockspring? I haven't had the steering wheel off before. Is the shaft just uniform splines? I would have expected it to have one wider ridge so it can go on only one way.

Thanks.

Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Clock spring should be OK if you have not rotated the wheel whilst the rack was out.
The splines are not keyed.

GQ XR6T ghia patrol.

,======o00o
//__|__|_,\_____\,___

Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Cool! Thanks.

Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:41 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

twase wrote:
Simple to fix, remove and reinstall the steering wheel.
You could with the EB/ED column with the splines, but the square EF/EL ones aren't as easy on positioning. You change the wheel turn by a quarter - not good when you're trying for approx 1.5 turns either side of centre.

In the pics, the 6 cyl rack is properly aligned, the V8 reco is not.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Yep. Just discovered that. If I turn the steering wheel 1/4 turn, I get within about 1/12 of a turn. Is it within safe limits to adjust the rest with a couple turns of the tie rod ends? They are currently exactly centred, with 18 turns on each rod end. Thanks.

Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:19 am 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

I'm assuming it is safe to straighten the steering wheel the last 30 degrees by adjusting the tie rod ends. After all, isn't that what they do in a wheel alignment?

Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Latest chapter in the saga.

The new rack is in, but the steering wheel can only go on the shaft two ways (180 degrees apart). The shaft is square where the wheel mounts (so four options), but where the clock spring goes it has two flats, so it can go only two ways. And the wheel cannot be 90 degrees to the clock spring, as the clock spring housing projects through the large hole in the steering wheel. So, with the rack centred, the steering wheel is turned about 70 degrees (.2 of a turn) to the right. I can adjust the tie rod ends to centre the wheel, but that's a lot of adjustment! If it is normally 3 turns lock-to-lock (1.5 each way), it would end up at 1.3 turns one way and 1.7 the other.

I'm get sick to death of this exercise, and must have the car back on the road by tomorrow night. I'm getting pretty desperate. What can I do to fix this mess? Thanks.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next