Fordmods Logo

Vic p plate laws on gears, diffs ect 

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Post subject: Vic p plate laws on gears, diffs ect
Posted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:48 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: BAxr6 mkII, BA xr6, EA Spac

VIC, Australia

Hey i was wondering if there was anyone on here that knows what the rules are on the vic p plate laws and upgrading certainthings like gear box diff and an electronic shift kits as i have asked everyone i can think of and no one knows! (even vic roads are shady on it)

As upgrading your diff or say adding an electronic shift kit isnt really increasing engine power does that make it not legal and say changing from single spinner to lsd.

main reason i am asking is i am considering installing a shift kit and upgrading my diff gear ratio.

any healp or thoughts would be much appreciated (sorry for bad spelling)

Homer- Everytime i try to learn somethign new it pushes out old information!
Like that time i learnt how to taste wine and forgot how to drive.

Marge- You didn't forget how to drive you where drunk!

Homer- And How!
Successful Trades: Private9

Post subject: Re: Vic p plate laws on gears, diffs ect
Posted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: el wagon

VIC, Australia

Unless the coppers spend the time pulling the gearbox/diff apart, whose gonna know???

Posted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:37 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

I actualy got on to someone useful for once and thier explanation is "any engine modifications that increase and engines performance so i guess that means all gear box/driveline mods are legal.
woo

Homer- And How!

Posted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: el wagon

VIC, Australia

Again I say: unless the coppers spend time pulling apart the engine etc., which they're not, who'se gonna know. I had a ZK Fairlane with a 351+ in it. They only came with the 302. thus my mod was illegal, but whose gonna know unless the insurance company/coppers spend the time. Unless you do something really stupid, like put in a Hollinger and a Detroit locker :twisted: or something, nobody's gonna know if you don't tell them 8-)

Posted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:41 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: EF

VIC, Australia

are you serious? just do it this isnt an internal engine modification even if you do add a cam and port and polish, its still a n/a 4.0 if you drive sensibly

If it has wheels or a skirt, You can't afford it.

Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:17 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

yea but its still illeagal under currant laws and im not worried about ebing busted by the boys in blue its becuase if im driving a car that i am not alowed to my insurance is void. i know a cop cant see a shift kit or port and polish unless they start pulling things apart but if i crash and its found anything was hooked up to my car that shouldnt be i cant claim anything.

and yes even internal mods are illegal for a p plater to get

Homer- And How!

Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:44 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: EF

VIC, Australia

i do realise that i am also a p plater

If it has wheels or a skirt, You can't afford it.

Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:04 pm 
VIC Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: ed

VIC, Australia

hey i have extractors and exhaust on my ed wagon. if i have a crash its how i bought it. they cant prove i know what it is all i know is it sounds good.

94 White ED Wagon
eaton M112 supercharger, lowered a tad, extractors, 2.5" exhaust, T5 , custom SureCam supercharger cam, 3.45 lokka, 2 piece tailshaft, poyair bags in the back, TSS front Skirt, Sprint skirts, XR wagon spoiler.
soon to get: AU diff, upc 330mm brakes, Vapor LPG injection.

Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:16 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

yea my missus works for the RACV in insurance so thats how i found out about them not paying out if you crash and its modded.
the car then goes udner the catagorey of 'unroadworthy for driver' and any things under that dotn get paid. its like if you have an auto p plate liscence and drive a manual. they dont have to pay you out reguardless of how new or good condition the car is. if vic roads says u cant drive it as it is on your currant liscence insurance wont pay you.
but most cases this is only valid for right off and small 3rd party things dont need an inspection.
as i have full comp on my car that makes me concerned.

Homer- And How!

Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:36 pm 
VIC Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: ed

VIC, Australia

the easy way is to not crash... but we all know there are d***head out there who cant drive

94 White ED Wagon
eaton M112 supercharger, lowered a tad, extractors, 2.5" exhaust, T5 , custom SureCam supercharger cam, 3.45 lokka, 2 piece tailshaft, poyair bags in the back, TSS front Skirt, Sprint skirts, XR wagon spoiler.
soon to get: AU diff, upc 330mm brakes, Vapor LPG injection.

Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:42 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

ausedwagon wrote:
the easy way is to not crash... but we all know there are d***head out there who cant drive

yea like today after work goin round a 2 land round about and soem dumb b**ch on her phone cuts from outside lane into my lane and came so close to the front of my car wiht he driver's side door i thought i would of hit it.
i wish life and drive was as simple as 'just dont do it' but hey you gotta be ready for the worse

Homer- And How!

Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:59 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: 2001 au2 sr wagon

VIC, Australia

When i was on my P's i was driving the car in my sig, lowered, exhaust and extracter and 17's. i drove sensible most times and d**k about a little when it was quiet on the roads and i was on my own. and i only got pinged once by the cops and thats when they where randomly pulling ppl over and insurance i just said i got the car like that, told them the mod's and they insured me for the car and all the mods. so i guess it all depends on the insurance company. and i doubt they'd pick a cam or an shift kit they'd sooner say "write off" then go thru and rip the car apart to find one little internal mod ! So i'd say do a couple of mods and drive senible and the cops should leave you alone and only idots who puch things to much crash and you don't sound like one of those ppl.

Baya

Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:43 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

BaYa wrote:
When i was on my P's i was driving the car in my sig, lowered, exhaust and extracter and 17's. i drove sensible most times and d**k about a little when it was quiet on the roads and i was on my own. and i only got pinged once by the cops and thats when they where randomly pulling ppl over and insurance i just said i got the car like that, told them the mod's and they insured me for the car and all the mods. so i guess it all depends on the insurance company. and i doubt they'd pick a cam or an shift kit they'd sooner say "write off" then go thru and rip the car apart to find one little internal mod ! So i'd say do a couple of mods and drive senible and the cops should leave you alone and only idots who puch things to much crash and you don't sound like one of those ppl.

Baya

yea u got the al right p plate laws im alowed no mods that increase preformance at all which sucks and no im not onje of those people i sound a lil like u have a lil bit of fun on empty quiet streets u know but thats not all the time. yes i speed like 60 in 50 zones and 80 on a road that was just dropped from 80 - 60 for no real reason.
but yea i get what u mean about them no pulliung the car apart and i guess iw as just being paranoid, but the original intent of the thread was to find out if diff gear and shift kit upgrades where legal and i eventualy found out they are.
so to all the people on new laws for future reference weather it be for getting pulled over with cops or insurance the Vic roads people saw if it isnt an engine performance enhancer then yes it is legal.
thanx for those that tried to help me get to the bottom of that question and ill just have to save the extractor mod til im off my p's.
one more lil question is how easy is it to tell if there has been port/ polish, aprox how much and what gains can i expect otherwise i think this thread is closed.

Homer- And How!

Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:20 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

im a red plater myself so it does royaly suck teh ballz, but, my daily has Koni's extractors a cam port polish LSD HD clutch and a few other little mods, if it does come to me getting into an accident the simple thing is, how was i supposed to know, i thought it was just a car, its how i got it. also they aren't gonna go pulling the car down and looking at parts saying, oh thats not a factory cam thats not the standard head etc... because they cant prove it.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 14 posts ]