Fordmods Logo

Want to soften my suspension. XH ute. 

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: Want to soften my suspension. XH ute.
Posted: Tue May 04, 2010 10:30 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 2002 AU Fairlane Sportsman

NSW, Australia

Hi guys, I have a stock standard '96 XH longreach 1 tonne and the suspension is too hard for my liking. I don't carry anything heavier than about 100kgs in the rear so I need some advice in relation to what springs on the rear will soften the ride, what shocks to install on the rear and with the front suspension, will EL Fairmont struts go straight in? I have a 2002 Fairlane but I don't expect to get a similar comfort ride just something that doesn't feel like a tank. Any advice will be appreciated. I do intend to drop it down about 2 inches all round as well as the gap between tyre and guard lip is about 4 to 5 inches. It's running 15inch wheels with 215-60x15's so I'm looking at either 17 or 18 inch tickford wheels. I will no doubt have to install spacers but that's not a worry.Cheers, AU055

Post subject: Re: Want to soften my suspension. XH ute.
Posted: Tue May 04, 2010 10:55 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Mate
if you fit larger rims you fit lower profile tyres which reduces ride comfort. Lets start with your car its a 1 tonne suspension so you have a still rear suspension. You fit xr rear springs that are 600kg you will get a softer ride, fit EF/EL front springs you will get a softer ride. Your tyre are 215/60/15 what ply are they if they are 8 ply you will have a harder ride fit 215/60/15 passenger tyres you will get a softer ride. Last but not least if you fit wagon rear springs and shockers you will get a even better softer ride. At the end of the day the lower you go the harder the ride gets because of less spring movement. Final if you have 1 tonne suspension you will have a load proportioning valve for the brakes. Which needs to be adjusted when lowering suspension.
Good Luck
Gassa

When the clutch drops the bull s**t stops!!!!!

Post subject: Re: Want to soften my suspension. XH ute.
Posted: Tue May 04, 2010 11:00 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 2002 AU Fairlane Sportsman

NSW, Australia

Many thanks to both of you. I can now start looking and working out the best option. I suppose the 15 inch wheels and tyres will do, so the suspension options are worth looking at. Many thanks again and once it is finished I will post the photos as well as he AU. Cheers, AU055

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]