Fordmods Logo

What box have I got?? 

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: What box have I got??
Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:53 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EL Fairmont Ghia

NSW, Australia

Hi, I'm planning a 5 speed conversion of my much loved March '97 EL Fairmont Ghia.

I bought a box here the other day.

This is the photo that was advertised

It was initially advertised as a T5z box and bellhousing from a 220kw AU3 XR8 (new old stock, never been in a car) He then reckoned he had it verified that it was for an EL V8. Either way I didnt care as if it was EL T5 I would have an easy conversion; if it was an AU T5z it would be a stronger box even though it needed crossmember/tailshaft mods. So far so good.

This is what I got.

The seller reckons his son got the photo wrong and that this one is the EL V8 box and that the top photo is a six cylinder box. I see no reason to doubt him, but I would love it if someone can verify just what it is I have taken delivery of. Like I said, I dont care if its EL or AU V8, just as long as it's a V8 box!

The other big thing is the bell housing. If the same bellhousing is on both boxes then are they interchangable? Or have I wound up with a six cylinder bellhousing on a V8 box?

Here is a photo from AFF. The boxs at the back of the line up are meant to be an E series and AU T5s. As you can see the bellhousings are very different to mine. I'm hoping they are from a six cylinder

The bloke is being good about it all and has guaranteed me a refund if it all turns to crap but I dont want a refund if I can confirm that what I have is some good to me.

Cheers

'97 V8 EL Ghia Webasto 400 sunroof, Tint, Parnell VSI LPG, UPC 330mm brake upgrade (drilled), Pacemaker twin system, T5 conversion (Billet Products shifter)

Post subject: Re: What box have I got??
Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: DCII LTD V8

New Zealand

Hey Chief,

Top box xis AU V8, bottom box is E series V8. I would have gone with the AU box, the T5Z variant. But hey, either is fine. Why would you need cross member mods for the AU box? the only thing you need to mod to stick an AU into your E, is shorten the driveshaft a fraction and cut a bigger hole in the floor. I just did it. turns out my box is f**k too, which sucks cause i payed the same for it as that guy who was selling the top box in your message.

1993 LTD V8 Oregon 5 speed "click me"

Trick Flow Heads/Cam/Intake, Crane Ignition, T5Z Trans.

Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:56 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

I heard the mounts on the AU box were two inches further back than the E series. Maybe not eh?
The AU box was my first choice.
The seller is saying that the box in the top picture is AU 6 cylinder (why is the V8 bellhousing on it? I dont know) and the photo was put up by mistake.
Is the case of the AU 6 5 speed the same as the E series case? Would a V8 bellhousing fit on an AU6 T5

'97 V8 EL Ghia Webasto 400 sunroof, Tint, Parnell VSI LPG, UPC 330mm brake upgrade (drilled), Pacemaker twin system, T5 conversion (Billet Products shifter)

Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

The bell housing will fit yes, BUT the input shaft is too short for the V8.

No, the AU mounts still line up the same, bolt into the same holes on the body as the auto infact. underneath you have two pairs of mounting holes, the AU fits in the same as the E. just the tail housing is longer which means the shifter position is about 5cm back, and so is the driveshaft. I had to shorten my shaft by 2.5cm, and cut a hole about 5cm in my floor, good thing i bought a short shifter too as the handle can be rotated so it still sits in the original position. Check out my build thread for pics.

Oh and another thing, if you go AU box, you will need AU sandwich plates as for some reason the E series ones didn't quite line up right with the AU series bell housing.

The AU case is different again, it doesn't have the neutral switch like the E series, but you don't need that anyway. Plus the AU box is a bit better in terms of guts, not too sure how though.

but yeah, the only difference between 6/8 boxes is the bell housing and the input shaft.

Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:24 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

Just remembered that the seller told me the AU V8 box had the dampner located on the underside of the box (under the shifter) like the E series (as in the second photo) but the AU 6 cylinder box didn't. Its dampner was on the tailshaft. Is that true?

Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

by dampener do you mean the balancer? You aussies have funny names for things, like tail shaft for Drive shaft. or driven plate for clutch plate...anyway, i'm pretty sure 6's and 8's both got the "Dampener" as i had a 6 cyl T5 here i was going to use before i used the AU box and it had it mounted on it as well. Who is the seller? Sounds like he doesn't know what the box is at all! if it's a 6, why does it have the 8 bell housing on it?

So you have bought the EL box correct?? can the guy with the AU box give you the tag numbers?

Have you got a pic of the other side of the box you have?

Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:42 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

I bought the box on this forum.
http://www.fordmods.com/ford-parts-for-sale-f17/fs-sold-t80352.html

The tags from the EL box that I recieved are

On the tag:
96 DA 7003 BB
0552-072 (1265) Numbers in brackets are stamped in a different "stamp font"

On the gearbox itself is cast 13-52-065-922 and on the rear case is cast 0552-066903

If the first box is really an AU T5z then thats the one I want. Ill ask the guy for the tags and a photo of the input shaft with a tape over it.

Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Well that is a V8 box. Same number as my AU V8, except the AU is WR2T 7003 BB.

So hang on, you have bought both these boxes? Or you bought the AU box, turned up to get it and got given an E series box?

If you can still get the AU box, go for it.

Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:13 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

That is exactly what happened. I flew down to Melbourne early morning, met the bloke at Tullamarine, threw the box in the rental car, took off to catch my daughter for breakfast before uni and then packed the box up and shipped it back home on a truck while I did other stuff in Vic.

Then I got home and Hey Presto, wrong box.

I'm going to have the guy send the tag numbers to the AU box and send a photo of the input shaft with a tape held over it.

Heres a photo of the other side of the EL box

Thanks for all your help XFWAGON, I really appreciate it.

Edit: Just got off the phone with the seller and he swears black and blue that the AU box in the top photo is a 6 cylinder box. And since you've confirmed that I've at least got a V8 EL box I'm happy. I cant really ask him to prove that the AU box is really a 6 since I've taken delivery of this one... I guess :lol:

Thanks again buddy.

Posted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:34 am 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

I would just stick with the box you have mate, it's a good box, i don't think it has really that less stuff than the T5Z, hell i don't even know what the extra Z is for lol. you can see your EL box is definitely a newer model as it is WC so has all the brass synchros etc. and it has that green stuff they seem to splash on the late model boxes. Plus this way you won't have to cut holes or shorten your driveshaft, straight pop in.
Less hassles = Happy Crane

Did you get an ECU as well??

I was also surprised how easy it is to install these things into a V8, the 6's seems quite space restrictive, you can get to the manual bell housing bolts very easily on the V8's.

Just a shame i started up the car yesterday for the first time and found out my box is stuffed. out she comes again :evil: I paid the guy $1800 plus $900 to get it to my house in NZ. Ah well, s**t happens i guess.

Let me know how you get on with the install and how she drives, i'm keen to know, it will be a while before i get the chance haha.

Posted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:54 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

XFWAGON wrote:

I was also surprised how easy it is to install these things into a V8, the 6's seems quite space restrictive, you can get to the manual bell housing bolts very easily on the V8's.

Just a shame i started up the car yesterday for the first time and found out my box is stuffed. out she comes again :evil: I paid the guy $1800 plus $900 to get it to my house in NZ. Ah well, s**t happens i guess.

Let me know how you get on with the install and how she drives, i'm keen to know, it will be a while before i get the chance haha.

No ECU bro (just thought I'd throw that in :D ) Im going with a J3 card from TIPerformance I reckon. I've still got a bunch of questions for em but I've heard that I can have a chip with manual XR8 or ELGT fuel/spark curves that will also compensate for the auto not sending signals anymore. Then in the future I will be able to upgrade to a fully tuneable setup.

Oh man, I feel for your ripped offness. Been there too. I hope you can reco it for a decent price.

I'm chasing up a few parts like clutch pedal, cable etc. and I'll be posting up a thread on the conversion.

Cheers

Posted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Crane wrote:
XFWAGON wrote:

No ECU bro (just thought I'd throw that in :D ) Im going with a J3 card from TIPerformance I reckon. I've still got a bunch of questions for em but I've heard that I can have a chip with manual XR8 or ELGT fuel/spark curves that will also compensate for the auto not sending signals anymore. Then in the future I will be able to upgrade to a fully tuneable setup.

Oh man, I feel for your ripped offness. Been there too. I hope you can reco it for a decent price.

I'm chasing up a few parts like clutch pedal, cable etc. and I'll be posting up a thread on the conversion.

Cheers

Yeah man, go with the EL GT tune, that would be awesome, i have a genuine EB GT ECU, but i was gonna pick the GT tune if i had to go J3. Have heard those J3 chips are great.

I have both pedals and a used but good condition cable if you are interested. By the way , if you get a pedal kit from Mal Wood, they are great, they now come with a big brass reinforcement plate that literally turns your pedal box into a giant hunk of metal, no way in hell is that thing gonna crack like the old design. Check out my auction listings, link in my sig. if you want them let me know and i'll take it down. But i'm sure you could find them in Oz cheaper....

Posted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:54 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

Cheers for that, but I've just spent a few hours ringing around looking for the best price and I've ordered all the bits I need.

Turns out the J3 guys have an EL XR8 manual bin but there could be dramas if there is a difference between the MAF and injectors on the XR8 and my Ghia. So I'm going to go a custom chip instead.

The Mal Wood kit is ordered, sounds great.

Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:51 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

xfwagon, you bought that gearbox from a member here correct? how is it stuffed?

Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:32 am 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

jaysway wrote:
xfwagon, you bought that gearbox from a member here correct? how is it stuffed?

Thats correct mate. "eric eb" the guys name was.

Well, it was meant to come with a new billet flywhweel and that never turned up so that was the first problem, but the least of my worries. Then the plastic shifter ball housing was broken so i had to replace that. once i put the box in and started the car it made some seriously horrendous noises, check out my build thread, on the last page there is a short video clip of it. All the other parts i have bought new so there is nothing wrong with them. I also got the ECU with the package i bought from him, and it looks tatty with a service tag wrapped on it, almost like it has been re built at some point. I have tried emailing him and his work but no reply, no surprise really. Not a lot i can do either seeing he is all the way across the ditch.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next