Fordmods Logo

what clutch should i buy... 

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Post subject: what clutch should i buy...
Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:04 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EF futura

NT, Australia

hey guys,im going to do a manual conversion on my car soon. i have 3 different clutch's available locally to choose from... (got an ef xr gearbox)

1. one mob has one for $379 - xr clutch kit (clutch industries)

2. genuine ford standard clutch $349

3. Repco want $518 for there xr spec clutch. not sure of brand

Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:24 am 
Getting Side Ways

Whatever you do, go for a clutch kit that is stronger than standard, BUT not "heavy Duty" so to speak, as they can play havoc with your firewall.

Or you could get your pedal box, and firewall reinforced and get the heavy duty one

Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:06 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: 5 Star Boxcar

NSW, Australia

Forget repco, I've heard good things about Xtreme clutches. Do a search mate and you will find heaps of threads on clutches.

Kezz's 5sp Box Car ---> RPD enhanced with a bunch of other stuff

Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:08 am 
Getting Side Ways

What about the eBay "Valeo" clutches?

Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:37 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: 2.0 Turbo VW

Power: 142 rwkw

VIC, Australia

The highest price I got for a PBR XR spec clutch was $360 from a few places

I ended up getting one for $290 and the cheapest price for a std was $260

PBR, make good clutches

Carefree, we may not be number one, but we're up there.

Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:38 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA XR6T

If its out of those three i would go the Clutch Industries one, they are the performance branch of PBR if my memory serves me correctly.

It mite be worth checking out an xtreme clutch from Adelaide Clutch Services as well.

300+rwkw HeadsexTuned XR6 Turbo Ute *NOW SOLD :(*
MK Triton with 31" muddies, 2" lift and 3" turbo back exhaust etc...

Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:52 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

FordFairmont wrote:
What about the eBay "Valeo" clutches?
You need to be careful which one you fit - there are versions that make the clutch pedal feel very heavy, eventually these will cause problems like the firewall/pedal box, cable breaking, etc as mentioned.
For a 6 bolt flywheel, myself and another local member (helped him fit his to an EL XR6), we used http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Falcon-eb-ed-ef- ... dZViewItem - make sur is part no H1128N
I've found it to be very good, and the feel isn't much heavier than the std clutch, add $20-$30 post to NT, you could do a lot worse IMO.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

So Valeo is the go by the sounds of it, but i dont understand which clutch you were recommending?

The link you posted is for the heavy duty version (R1128N) which you said has a good 'feel', but then you said make sure the part number is H1128N, which is the standard version they make... which should i get?

Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

VIC, Australia

I had a Valeo clutch in my EB, it was good but I must have got the really heavy one that snap0964 is referring to. It was definitely the heaviest clutch I'd ever felt in a Falcon. I got it through my local Brake & Clutch place, cost $280 which included flywheel machining and Thrust and Spigot bearings.

Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: '98 EL Fairmont

VIC, Australia

Damo wrote:
I had a Valeo clutch in my EB, it was good but I must have got the really heavy one that snap0964 is referring to. It was definitely the heaviest clutch I'd ever felt in a Falcon. I got it through my local Brake & Clutch place, cost $280 which included flywheel machining and Thrust and Spigot bearings.

I have the same clutch. Its definately very heavy duty. Not the best clutch I have had but not bad for the money. I think I paid around $270

Posted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:41 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

FordFairmont wrote:
So Valeo is the go by the sounds of it, but i dont understand which clutch you were recommending?
The link you posted is for the heavy duty version (R1128N) which you said has a good 'feel', but then you said make sure the part number is H1128N, which is the standard version they make... which should i get?
I said H1128N has good feel - where in the link is the part no quoted (R1128N)? Mike doesn't have the part nos in all the links, hence why I stated it.
This is the unit I bought - http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... :IT&ih=014 , and Mike told me it was a heavy duty kit. As for part no H1128N, I can only comment on those, that's why I stated that number.
As for lasting the distance, I guess time will tell with these units.
Why don't you ring Mike, and get clarification, and post back here ??

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:46 am 
Getting Side Ways

yeah sorry i was looking at another listing which had slightly different number.

And there is a listing under sunbury brakes that is heavy duty & has the part number like you mention so i will go with that..... although the description is slightly different, it says it has a V8 diaphram

Posted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:37 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Again, ring Mike - you need to get it right, once the clutch is in, too late if it feels too heavy.
As for the 3 bolt flywheels (EA/EBI), steer clear of the H301N kits, they are very heavy, grabby, and they will give your newly installed cable grief down the line.

Posted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:29 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: EF 5 Speed, XH Uterus :P

TAS, Australia

kezz wrote:
Forget repco, I've heard good things about Xtreme clutches. Do a search mate and you will find heaps of threads on clutches.

Amen on the Xtreme clutches - i went a HD one and it has stood up to the punishment very well! Just ignore their ricey website :P

Maloo - Holden's word for ugly.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 14 posts ]