Fordmods Logo

What do you guys think of this idea? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: What do you guys think of this idea?
Posted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:09 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: 97 EL XR6

VIC, Australia

I want to change my brakes.

i.e. put big brakes on my EL XR6

I was thinking of getting the big brake upgrade kit from racebrakes but instead of getting the disc and callipers from them, i would try and source out a set of BF typhoon brembo callipers and using a disc of the same size.

for the rear (in order to keep the same offset for the front and back), I was thinking of using an AU rear live axle with an AU offset, and using BF rear brakes.

I'm pretty sure that the frist part may be possible, but I am not sure about the rear, i.e. whether it is a straight swap.

any idea if this plan will work

Cheers
Pete

Post subject: Re: What do you guys think of this idea?
Posted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:03 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

cmon guys there has to someone out there who know if this will work or not

Posted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:46 pm 
Fordmods Addict

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Falcon

Power: 237 rwkw

VIC, Australia

DIY, you'll need to make a hub, either out of an old disc or possibly using one of the ones that some brake upgrades use, depending on if they will seperate.
most if not all 355mm discs are floating, and any that aren't definitely won't fit on an e-series spindle.
will need to make up a caliper dog bone as well, brembos are big, will take some thinking to get caliper in the right spot.
also just a hunch, but if the twin piston upgrades have crappish pedal feel the larger volume brembo 4 pots will be worse.
i'd be looking at the FPV rear 4 pots onto a 330mm if anything, unless you want to turf ABS and change the master cylinder.
or speak to race brakes or any brake upgrade place, they should be able to put together a kit, won't be cheap.

also do a search, brake upgrades have been covered pretty well.

ED XR8 Sprint - S-Trim, V500, 249rwkw
BF MKII F6 Tornado - 237rwkw

Posted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:12 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: Fairmont Ghia BA 5.4L V8, AU 6

Power: 205 rwkw

WA, Australia

Hey Mate,

Are you sure you wanna go brembo? I heard to get the pads and rotors replaced is about 3 grand?

I reckon it could be done, hell anything can with the right amount of money, but i reckon it would be far easier and cheaper to buy a kit that just bolts on.

I dont think the calipers would fit on the front end of the EL, because of the different offset between BA and EL. You might be able to get them to fit but if they dont bolt on youd have to get brackets made up and they would need to be approved. Or maybe if your lucky there is something already made that will adapt a BA caliper to an EL. Also, the discs on an el and BA would be different, so you would have a hard time finding a disc thats already manufactured with the EXACT measurements your after, the chances of finding a disc the exact right size is pretty slim.

Id call up a brake shop and ask em if the calipers from the BA bolt onto the EL and if not whats involved in getting the calipers on, and also if there are discs out there that bolt on.

Last i saw a set of Brembo calipers on ebay they wanted bout $1,500, and thats without the discs.

Chaos, Panic and Disorder. My work here is finally done.
BA Fairmont Ghia 5.4L. Mods -Full Exhaust, Chipped, Custom Intake, CAI @205.4RWKW.
Stezza - Alpine Type R Splits & 6x9's, Alpine 400w RMS 4ch, 380w RMS Pioneer Mono, 2x12" Pioneer Subs and an AVH-P5950DVD Player.

Posted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:22 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

aite I got a little to think about,

thanks for the input guys

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]