Fordmods Logo

What is the axle end float maximum specifications? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: What is the axle end float maximum specifications?
Posted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon EB-s

WA, Australia

Seems my brothers ef ex pursuit had some noise coming from the brakes. I assumed at first that it was rust from lack of use, but after a fair bit of driving they still wouldnt quieten down. So i ripped off the rim, pulled the caliper off, and found a brake shoe had seperated from the backing plate, so it was metal on metal. New discs and pads on the way it seems.

Anyway, while trying to free the disc from the axle, i noticed that there was an awful lot of end float in the axle. Not heaps, but more than i expected. Im fairly sure i havent damaged anything, but the disc got quite a few heavy knocks with a hammer to try and remove it. What i need to know is the ford specification on axle end float. Ive been told that its 0.76mm new, and between 0.04 and 0.48 used. I would have expected there to be more end float when used, not less? Whats the deal

The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 1:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: 2009 FG XR6 Sedan

VIC, Australia

There will be end float on the axle as they are not adjustable. Im not sure on the specs but will have more end float when cold, the specs you quoted dont make sense as its less after worn in.

Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 1:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon EB-s

WA, Australia

I know it doesnt make sense! Thats why im asking. The end float will increase if the bearings are worn. There has to be enough end float so that the bearings dont lock up, but over time they should get worse. If its too bad, they need replacing :-)

The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: 2009 FG XR6 Sedan

VIC, Australia

Mine and probarbly most have end float. If the diff is grinding/wirring from one side the bearing is prob gone otherwise i wouldt worry about it too much. Have you checked the diff fluid colour and level? I know LSD's can get a bit noisy when the fluid is old.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]