Fordmods Logo

What oil you run in your t5 manual box???? 

Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:18 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: AUII ute e-gas

VIC, Australia

Quote:
i had 80/140 gear oil in my gearbox and its been sweet (except alittle stiff on the cold gear change)

Just my opinion, but that's REALLY bad for it. The reason they say dx2/3 is because these things run plastic synchro rings. btw they're over $100 each. I've worked on cars and trucks for about 10 years now and even in 18 speed road ranger gear boxes (which are rated at over 2200lb/ft torque capacity and used behind 16litre engines) the heaviest oil i've used is 50w engine oil (equivalent to 90 gear oil). I've also had a few T5's and i've found the best shifts came from using TQ95.

Posted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 8:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
well its up to the individual.

i would say use 70/80 light gear oil.. i had 80/140 gear oil in my gearbox and its been sweet (except alittle stiff on the cold gear change) untill i changed the oil to dexron3 the shift is smoother but since i swapped over to trans fluid the box has a noticable input shaft/ bearing noise..

so im going to change back to gear oil ..

and i know that ford recommend trans fluid for the 6cyl t5 but if you take a look at the v8 t5 they use light gear oil..??why??
the boxes are the same except for input shaft length..

If the box has gear rollover noise in nuetral at idle with the DEX III oil in it, then it needs recoing. My box has no noise with DEX III in it.

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: au xr8 & 5.0 eb

VIC, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
well its up to the individual.

i would say use 70/80 light gear oil.. i had 80/140 gear oil in my gearbox and its been sweet (except alittle stiff on the cold gear change) untill i changed the oil to dexron3 the shift is smoother but since i swapped over to trans fluid the box has a noticable input shaft/ bearing noise..

so im going to change back to gear oil ..

and i know that ford recommend trans fluid for the 6cyl t5 but if you take a look at the v8 t5 they use light gear oil..??why??
the boxes are the same except for input shaft length..
when i had my au xr8 it had to use dx3 in the books wich i did and never had any problems even when flogging its a*** off around winton raceway :lol: i miss that car :cry: lol

Posted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF V8 Futura, 180sx

QLD, Australia

blackute wrote:
Quote:
i had 80/140 gear oil in my gearbox and its been sweet (except alittle stiff on the cold gear change)

Just my opinion, but that's REALLY bad for it. The reason they say dx2/3 is because these things run plastic synchro rings. btw they're over $100 each. I've worked on cars and trucks for about 10 years now and even in 18 speed road ranger gear boxes (which are rated at over 2200lb/ft torque capacity and used behind 16litre engines) the heaviest oil i've used is 50w engine oil (equivalent to 90 gear oil). I've also had a few T5's and i've found the best shifts came from using TQ95.

OK now that geatting a bit cheap on gearbox mass production now there using china for the synchro's LOL

why did they choose to use plastic synchro's and is the some upgrade to ya normal brass ones? or something? Are they better?

Ford EF Futura Black
18" koya Strykers, AU engine with port and polish EB head, crow valve springs, standard cam, Large aftermarket RX7 turbo, T5 manual 3" intercooler piping, 600x300x100 intercooler core, MSII with innovate wideband O2 sensor and guage. BA F6 bodykit

Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 7:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

The synchro's in an EA box are a brass base with a friction material, similar to clutches in an auto. They are not plastic.

Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:28 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: XD

VIC, Australia

/double post :S

1997EL 5spd
mods: 2.5" redback catback, DBA slotted rotors, Pacemaker 4480's, Tint, K&N pod, 17" rims

Last edited by forsaken on Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:28 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: XD

VIC, Australia

cjh wrote:
If the box has gear rollover noise in neutral at idle with the DEX III oil in it, then it needs recoing. My box has no noise with DEX III in it.

hmmm mine has some noise in neutral but apart from that it doesn't seem to have any other problems (shifts etc), what is likely to break?
do you know roughly how much a reco would be, or am i better off looking for another box in GC and just swapping them... i was worried about it for a bit but now i just turn up the stereo... :shock:

1997EL 5spd
mods: 2.5" redback catback, DBA slotted rotors, Pacemaker 4480's, Tint, K&N pod, 17" rims

Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:26 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

well i went from 85/140 gear oil to dex 3 trans fluid because it was a little stiff with the gear change when cold and once i changed to dex3 it had that gear/bearing noise ..untill i just changed back to gear oil but i used penrite manual gear oil 75..
and the box is nice and quiet again..

i know the box has wear but its amazing what a difference it makes going from thick gear oil (smooth but a little hard to shift) to dex3 trand fluid (rattly box at idle with super easy gear change) and to 75 gear oil and ive noticed its still easy to shift gears and the box is quiet now..

im not saying that trans fluid is bad but just take in mind the condition of your box and what oil is already in it before you decide what oil to use??
you may end up doing what i have.
i changed the oil to help with cold shifts to find out that the box isnt as good as i first thought..(the last owner probably put thicker oil to make the box quiet)
so 2 oil changes later to find that my box is quieter and smoother with 75gear oil than trans oil..

Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

forsaken wrote:
cjh wrote:

hmmm mine has some noise in neutral but apart from that it doesn't seem to have any other problems (shifts etc), what is likely to break?
do you know roughly how much a reco would be, or am i better off looking for another box in GC and just swapping them... i was worried about it for a bit but now i just turn up the stereo... :shock:

Mine has very rattly noise at idle in neutral and it was rebuilt with all new bearings.....

A google search turns up maybe the input shaft is the cause?

Posted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 4:03 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: AUII ute e-gas

VIC, Australia

Quote:
The synchro's in an EA box are a brass base with a friction material, similar to clutches in an auto. They are not plastic.

That seems strange, i rebuilt an XF T5 a few years back and they were plastic with friction material on them. All genuine parts too

Posted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

blackute wrote:
Quote:

That seems strange, i rebuilt an XF T5 a few years back and they were plastic with friction material on them. All genuine parts too

I rebuilt my EA box and it had brass with friction material. That was 12mths ago.

Posted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF V8 Futura, 180sx

QLD, Australia

i got the car running other day(running like s**t(bbm getting new one) and went for a drive with dex3 you could hear the bearing and syncros and all when cold(no gear stick boots at all see the road).
thinking of trying some gear oil when i get the car hack up and running healthy)

Ford EF Futura Black
18" koya Strykers, AU engine with port and polish EB head, crow valve springs, standard cam, Large aftermarket RX7 turbo, T5 manual 3" intercooler piping, 600x300x100 intercooler core, MSII with innovate wideband O2 sensor and guage. BA F6 bodykit

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2