What's going on with bushes 

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Post subject: What's going on with bushes
Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:49 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Ford Falcon AU 2000 Series II

QLD, Australia

G'day,

I swapped over a K Frame (front lower suspension) on Ford AUII as the bushes seen better days in the other K Frame.

Anyway,..couple days to 3 days later far out, bloody thing squeaks again especailly going over raised bumps in the road and irregular surfaces.

I have bushes that are bonded to metal so I'm baffled as to why they are squeaking?

Metal on metal should be ok. I did not apply any rubber grease at the time of installing the K Frame.

The bolts of the K Frame were torqued when the load was applied i.e. when vehicle was levelled.

Anyone know what the problem might be?

Thanks,

Post subject: Re: What's going on with bushes
Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:21 am 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

im a little confused to why you changed the whole k frame just to fit second hand bushes?

did you check the upper and lower control arm bushes?

Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:18 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Troyman,

I changed the whole K Frame over that came from another car based on the on the information from the owner / seller.

I was told the bushes on the K Frame I installed on the car are good and had no sqeaking issues..... The bushes were inspected on the K Frame in situ prior to replacement of the K Frame and did not have any signs of deterioration.

I only found out later they squeaked. Since the rubber is bonded to metal I cannot understand why it still squeaks.

I'm wondering whether I should have applied rubber grease to the faces of each bush as well as inside the chassis rail prior to installing on the vehicle.

In the interim I have removed the bushes from my original K Frame and awaiting replacement bushes to be pressed back in.

Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:43 pm 

NSW, Australia

i dont understand why you changed the whole k frame when you only need to replace the control arms or bushes?
maybe we are talking about 2 different things?

Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF-XR8chaser

NSW, Australia

bondy99 wrote:
Troyman,

I changed the whole K Frame over that came from another car based on the on the information from the owner / seller.

I was told the bushes on the K Frame I installed on the car are good and had no sqeaking issues..... The bushes were inspected on the K Frame in situ prior to replacement of the K Frame and did not have any signs of deterioration.

I only found out later they squeaked. Since the rubber is bonded to metal I cannot understand why it still squeaks.

I'm wondering whether I should have applied rubber grease to the faces of each bush as well as inside the chassis rail prior to installing on the vehicle.

In the interim I have removed the bushes from my original K Frame and awaiting replacement bushes to be pressed back in.

use a graphite grease on bolts and metal contact surfaces

R.I.P HANS HARTMAN

Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:22 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
i dont understand why you changed the whole k frame when you only need to replace the control arms or bushes?

Troyman.

Changing K Frame is a lot quicker for less down time ( time off road). I can then work on replacing the worn bushes with new at a later time on the original K Frame when time and money permits.

K Frame is the integral part of the lower control arm. see page 172 of Gregory's No 274 Falcon 1998 -2002 workshop manual. I've only just read it.

Cheers

Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:25 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

hans hartman,

Graphite grease on bolts and metal parts.

Ok, thanks I forgot about using any.

What about the rubbers that's bonded to the metal (bush)? Do they require grease, if so, what type is recommended?

Cheers

Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:01 am 

NSW, Australia

bondy99 wrote:
TROYMAN wrote:

Troyman.

Changing K Frame is a lot quicker for less down time ( time off road). I can then work on replacing the worn bushes with new at a later time on the original K Frame when time and money permits.

K Frame is the integral part of the lower control arm. see page 172 of Gregory's No 274 Falcon 1998 -2002 workshop manual. I've only just read it.

Cheers

i dont have the gregories manual.
ok, so your actually refering to the lower control arms, that makes sense..

the k frame is whats also refered to the x member,
i couldnt see how supporting the engine, removing the steering rack dropping whole suspension to replace a few bushes easier..
thats why i was confused. lol

Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:56 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

bondy99 wrote:
hans hartman,

Graphite grease on bolts and metal parts.

Ok, thanks I forgot about using any.

What about the rubbers that's bonded to the metal (bush)? Do they require grease, if so, what type is recommended?

Cheers

not on the rubber,as the steel tube locks up with the bolt.the grease will stop rusting and squeeks.nolathane\urathane bushes are greased,they dont have the steel case support as the ford ones.

R.I.P HANS HARTMAN

Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Troyman,

No worries, I think we were talking about different item initially, confusion can happen if one does not clarify or expland hey!!

I definetly would not be taking the cross member off lol.

Hans Hartman,

Thanks for that about the grease, will do so , man , what a pain it will be to remove those bolts and place grease on those metal bushes..hoist is not available for awhile so its back to axle stands and car ramps to redo torque settings...got to love it...In hindsight yep, I should have greased those bolts and metal sections of the bush. Weekend job again.

Cheers, Peter

Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:01 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Hans Hartman,

I had the front of vehicle on stands, took the wheels off, a few bolts here and there then just dawned upon me...bit late to put graphite grease onto those metal bushes as they are in-situ.

If I pressed them out now then they would be destroyed, So, reconnected bolts and wheels.

Awaiting new bushes then I'll apply the graphite grease to the metal parts and bolts at that time.

Penrite is the only mob that has /makes graphite grease.

Had to hunt around for it. Autobahn is the only mob that carries it in Brisbane.

Cheers

Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:58 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

bondy99 wrote:
Hans Hartman,

I had the front of vehicle on stands, took the wheels off, a few bolts here and there then just dawned upon me...bit late to put graphite grease onto those metal bushes as they are in-situ.

If I pressed them out now then they would be destroyed, So, reconnected bolts and wheels.

Awaiting new bushes then I'll apply the graphite grease to the metal parts and bolts at that time.

Penrite is the only mob that has /makes graphite grease.

Had to hunt around for it. Autobahn is the only mob that carries it in Brisbane.

Cheers

you dont need to remove the bushes,just grease the surfaces that touch each other when bolted up and the bolt lenght,to stop rusting and squeeks.graphite grease or a moly grease.

R.I.P HANS HARTMAN

Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:27 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Hans Hartman,

There you go, still a learning curve.

Maybe I should have left some of the parts off the front , would have saved extra work :)

Will start unbolting the parts after lunch.

Cheers

Posted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:43 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Hans Hartman,

Done the job, easy job to remove the lower control arm (aka K Frame), greased the metal faces and bolts with graphite grease , also found squeaky upper control arm bush (this was replaced using superbro bush under 1 year ago)..gave it a coating with Lanolin spray and old super pro bushes on stabilser bar was squeaky. Now noise is gone, what a difference.

I'll be replacing the super pro D bushes on that stabiliser bar next week.

Took most of the day.

Cheers

Peter

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 14 posts ]